Dusseldorf Boot Yachts

Baddox

Visit site
I see that there’s a thread in the mobo section about Dusseldorf Boot but there’s no yacht equivalent. Did anyone go and if you did what did you think, like or dislike? It was as vast as ever and even taking two days to visit we didn’t see it all. Tuesday was busy and Wednesday felt a little quieter particularly the motor boat halls we passed through.

Most of our time was spent looking at the yachts on offer, focussing on the 36 to 40ish feet size range with a foray into the instruments and electronics for some info and inspiration.

First the not so good. All the yacht brands harvested contact details before allowing viewing. Fair enough some used details well to help identify local brokers or English speaking reps. Others most notable Beneteau, just added it to delays and when the rep turned up late and vanished as soon as he lead us to the first boat. I heard a German being asked by his rep which boat he was interested in, he said the 27 footer and the rep replied oh! Only a little one? “Yes he replied, it’s what I race, is that all right?” Hardly a welcoming start for him.

I’ll not single out any brand of average white boat but the finish was uniformly poor. We currently have a 2006 Bavaria and have realised how much better built it is than the AWBs on offer.

One AWB had the texture of woven matt showing through the gelcoat, another had warped cabin sole boards so uneven you could feel the gaps. Some were looked like they were designed never to leave a marina; having no handholds for the companionway steps of main cabin. Joinery corners were square to add to bruising potential. Most frame trims looked like sticky back plastic wood effect, except one boat which had the honesty to go for beige UPC door frames.

Elan were courageous showing a slightly different interior design with the finish with bulkheads looking like a cross between Ikea scaffolding boards and recycled pallets.

In contrast our top three that stood out and so are now at the top of the shopping list are the quietly understated HR’s. X-Yachts which we hadn’t considered earlier were immaculate and the passion of the reps shone through. They fitted in a viewing for us at short notice and took the time to go into some depth regarding the boats of interest. Finally the J-boats had a faultless attention to interior detail in addition to their focus on sporty sailing potential. It’s telling that before we left the show my wife wanted to go back and get a photo “of her J-boat” and when emptied the cases at home she pulled out the brochure with a flourish. They were keen to offer a test sail too.

Minerva

Visit site
I see that there’s a thread in the mobo section about Dusseldorf Boot but there’s no yacht equivalent. Did anyone go and if you did what did you think, like or dislike? It was as vast as ever and even taking two days to visit we didn’t see it all. Tuesday was busy and Wednesday felt a little quieter particularly the motor boat halls we passed through.

Most of our time was spent looking at the yachts on offer, focussing on the 36 to 40ish feet size range with a foray into the instruments and electronics for some info and inspiration.

First the not so good. All the yacht brands harvested contact details before allowing viewing. Fair enough some used details well to help identify local brokers or English speaking reps. Others most notable Beneteau, just added it to delays and when the rep turned up late and vanished as soon as he lead us to the first boat. I heard a German being asked by his rep which boat he was interested in, he said the 27 footer and the rep replied oh! Only a little one? “Yes he replied, it’s what I race, is that all right?” Hardly a welcoming start for him.

I’ll not single out any brand of average white boat but the finish was uniformly poor. We currently have a 2006 Bavaria and have realised how much better built it is than the AWBs on offer.

One AWB had the texture of woven matt showing through the gelcoat, another had warped cabin sole boards so uneven you could feel the gaps. Some were looked like they were designed never to leave a marina; having no handholds for the companionway steps of main cabin. Joinery corners were square to add to bruising potential. Most frame trims looked like sticky back plastic wood effect, except one boat which had the honesty to go for beige UPC door frames.

Elan were courageous showing a slightly different interior design with the finish with bulkheads looking like a cross between Ikea scaffolding boards and recycled pallets.

In contrast our top three that stood out and so are now at the top of the shopping list are the quietly understated HR’s. X-Yachts which we hadn’t considered earlier were immaculate and the passion of the reps shone through. They fitted in a viewing for us at short notice and took the time to go into some depth regarding the boats of interest. Finally the J-boats had a faultless attention to interior detail in addition to their focus on sporty sailing potential. It’s telling that before we left the show my wife wanted to go back and get a photo “of her J-boat” and when emptied the cases at home she pulled out the brochure with a flourish. They were keen to offer a test sail too.
Congratulations on your forthcoming purchase of a new J Boat!

I had hoped to get out there this year, but between work and home it wasn't possible... Next year!

st599

Visit site
There was a Dutch 40 footer which seemed to be a massive party boat with a 20 foot cockpit covered in chaise longues and a communal sleeping area down below (no galley or chart table)

There were a couple of nice Polish boats hidden down side aisles which were reasonably priced. Most others seemed to have rocketed in price compared to 2019.

A few of the electronics suppliers seemed to be moving away from international standards and trying to lock you in to a proprietary data format, which will prove disastrous for the consumer, as it has in every other industry that tried it. All we're aware of the UKHO/MCA stand-off but weren't looking to implement any of the requirements.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Everything you say about modern AWBs chimes with our experience. JenBenBAv are all terrible inside and as for Elan - it’s completely lost the plot. Looks like the inside of my garden shed.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It’s good that we like different things, I like the modern interiors and presumably so do all the hundreds of others who buy these boats. Best yacht of the show for me was the Moody DS48, about as non-traditional as you can get. If I had a spare million or so I’d have bought one.
Each to their own.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Some AWB trends, like Ikea-style interiors are very much a matter of personal taste, agreed. Others, like the lack of hand-holds and deep fiddles, and the presence of sharp corners and wide open spaces between hand-holds, are safety issues. Usually, not a problem if the boat is used as floating caravan in the Solent or Med. But taking these ‘Ocean rated‘ boats more than a few miles off shore is problematic.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I doubt very much if the AWBs of which you speak are ‘ocean rated’. But happy to hear that I’m wrong. I’d not take RCD A to mean ‘ocean rated’.

RCD ‘A’ says:
  1. A recreational craft given design category A is considered to be designed for winds that may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave height of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, such as storm, violent storm, hurricane, tornado and extreme sea conditions or rogue waves.

ashtead

Visit site
Sadly the choice whether at Boot or Soton in the circa 40ft area seems much like the issue we had 10 years ago when searching in 2014 and buying new in2015 - last year visited Soton and found the HR and transworld very well set up but the price would seem to be something for someone with more serious plans than a channel crossing or 2 . Likewise the xc42 or arcona . All the moody DS are good and all the parts will be familiar to Hanse or Moodyac oweners -great for med but at whatever length apart from the 41 or45 perhaps a tad large for south coast sailing. At a better budget I suspect a new Hanse might attract now if we ever wanted to move to say 46ft but then you might be tempted by an old oyster 46 or somewhat smaller gunfleet 43. But even hR might have issues for purists-bouncing bow cabins,falling off bed in seas in stern cabins and with those lovely chairs in saloon might not be a place for a saloon berth unless table adapts. Sadly also the shiny new Hanse 46 are a serious price difference from our Moody when exchange rates were 1.35 I recall so not attractive. A J boat seems a sporty choice I seem to recall compared to other makes ?

smert

Visit site
We didn't go on any of the boats on display, so I can't comment on the interiors but my impression was that the big brands were all aiming at a sector of the market that doesn't really exist in the UK. There were few sub 45ft boats. Some of smaller brands had smaller boats. Not being in the market for a new boat, we gave them a drive by more than a detailed inspection, although even Mrs St commented that the steel hulled expedition boat had some really poor welding up under the bow! We skipped the Motor boat and superyacht halls completely!

Drop down bow thrusters seem to be the gadget du jour though.

Lots of electric engines on display - outboard and inboard. Lots of electrical bits and pieces to go with that too. I was looking for hot water systems to replace our calorifier but I only saw 1 in the entire show!

The diving halls had the busiest stands with one having punters queuing 3 deep and about a dozen staff all flat out!

Overall I think it was a bit like SIBS but much, much bigger.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
I doubt very much if the AWBs of which you speak are ‘ocean rated’. But happy to hear that I’m wrong. I’d not take RCD A to mean ‘ocean rated’.

RCD ‘A’ says:
  1. A recreational craft given design category A is considered to be designed for winds that may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave height of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, such as storm, violent storm, hurricane, tornado and extreme sea conditions or rogue waves.

CE Category A is called ‘Ocean’ but you’re right about the qualifications for that label. CE Category A seems to be handed out like sweeties. Even my lightweight Catalina 34 has an A rating, but I felt vulnerable crossing Biscay in her.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It’s not called ‘Ocean’ any more. Was removed in 2017, all new boats type approvals will comply to the new RCD whereas your Catalina and many other AWBs approved pre 2017 will maybe use the word ‘Ocean’ in documentation.

SvenH

Visit site
I was puzzled about the windows in sail boat hulls before going. I do understand the light and views it brings you when inside.

The trouble of redoing glass windows or getting it done after 10-15 years is something people seem to be ignorant about. But then having those windows in the hull???
People buying these boats probably buy with a shorter time frame in mind, not caring about resale value.

But visiting the Mobo section at the end, it seems there is a need to have even bigger windows in the hull, some boats having them in the bow.

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
It was great to see the Hallberg Rassy 69... Very impressive! And we can't wait to sail her later this year:

423327972_868878498585499_2069259981488051860_n.jpg

Pete