Does size really matter

Dutchman

Visit site
Yes but not that much. We also did a similar evaluation and settled on a Dutch built Contest 40 (later called 42). She suits us perfectly and handles heavy weather superbly and there is enough space to separate guests. The really big change in accomodation seemed to come at around 48 ft but you do start to be draft constrained and many European Marinas struggle to find decent 12m plus berths - and we do resort to Marinas occasionally! You might find it worth checking out the Bigger Contests; 43, 44, 48.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dutchman

Sea_Sense

Visit site
When I bought my boat 3 years ago - I faced a similar dilema. I settled on 40ft for all of the reasons named above. Plus I went for the biggest main cabin I could find my thinking being that I would spend most of my time in the main cabin with friends. If I wanted to be on my own I could always lie down in the bow cabin and read a book.

I also went for a standard two cabin version to ensure I got maxim storage. In my really deep sail locker there is space for motor scooter or bicycles, which if you want to do a bit of travelling about when visiting places is ideal.

So my advice is look at your budget and look at the yearly maintenance cost then think about all the stuff you want to take with you and the look at as many liveraboard boats as you can. And learn as much as you can about easily accessble storage, because for me there is nothing worst than finding that 'wosit' is carefully packed under more carefully packed stuff at the bottom of locker on the port side when you have just unpacked the same locker on the starboard side.

Just a thought!

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Sea_Sense on 07/04/2004 17:54 (server time).</FONT></P>

tcm

Visit site
21.6m -23.9m

Over 20 metres permits use of main channel in portsmouth and "large boat not to be impeded" in colregs, under 24 metres for MCA coding and normal non-commercial insurance, over 21.5 metres to be permitted into st tropez old port in summer, under 24 metres for Yarmouth.

We are 23metres/76 ft loa, power, above this (sail or power it seems) you get merely more+more cabins, below this, you get increasingly toytown version of galley/gear/headroom. +2feet not needed really! Sailboat, i wd/will have the same, but distancia60 is v tempting!

with correct length, beam is the bugger in med marinas, max 6metres is ok. Mind you anchoring is ok too, so what the heck...

<hr width=100% size=1>