Crossing the adriatic from Dubrovnik to Vieste(I)

scubaman

Visit site
Many thanks for taking the time to put together this great post with great pics! Just what the doctor ordered...

It was -26,5 C deg here last night so the warmth of the pics was more than appreciated!

Thanks again :) :) :) and congratulations on your lovely family!

Btw, did you have a change to do some scuba diving?

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Brilliant photos as usual Bart! I have you say that you rather put me to shame with the distances you travel with your boat! We stayed in the Excelsior in Dubrovnik about 6 weeks ago and the hotel is very good although once again and I know we disagree about this but the food in the hotel is not good for the price. Dubrovnik is one of those places that everybody has to visit if only once. Did you find one of those bars on the rocks outside the city wall?
We nearly always see the dolphins near Brac. For some reason they seem to stay in the waters between Hvar and Brac
Trogir is now familiar to us too as we have visited a few times but as you say, you can get into the best mooring spot with your boat although the main marina is actually quite nice. We have also visited Skradin a couple of times by boat and that is a good trip. Its certainly worth making time to go to Krka falls
I promise I will make time to post some pics of my own soon!

BartW

www.amptec.be
Yes good stuff again Bart, really nice report and piccies, thanks.
How is it for launching in the Area?
A friend of mine has a similar boat on Rhodes
Slipways there are hopelous to non existant!

hey kawa, this is the most decent and comprehensible post (language wise) I've ever seen from you on here :D

yes public slipway's are very louzy over there, and the biggest problem is that usually they are blocked with parked cars when you want to use them.
Although we manage very well on a slib way, over there we have the boat lifted in and out in a marina. This is the only place in that area where you can put the boat in the water, and then we can leave the trailer there in a locked parking place for almost 4 weeks
i-cK3mPZH-L.jpg

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Btw, did you have a change to do some scuba diving?

every year during the first two weeks of the holliday, when the kids are there, I do some dives with the local dive center. Not with my boat, as it is installed then for cruising and watersports, (too much hassle with the diving gear)

my diving gear remains in de dive center, and when the kids don't get out their bed early, I go there for a morning dive
Boris, the owner of the divecenter is a good friend,

I have dived most places in Dubrovnic area a few times.
Here a link to the dive center.
http://www.epidaurum-diving-cavtat.hr/en/index.php
I can advice them, as they are the best in that area, and they have acces to a few famous dive sites, amphores, grottes, wreck's, ...

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
every year during the first two weeks of the holliday, when the kids are there, I do some dives with the local dive center. Not with my boat, as it is installed then for cruising and watersports, (too much hassle with the diving gear)

my diving gear remains in de dive center, and when the kids don't get out their bed early, I go there for a morning dive
Boris, the owner of the divecenter is a good friend,

I have dived most places in Dubrovnic area a few times.
Here a link to the dive center.
http://www.epidaurum-diving-cavtat.hr/en/index.php
I can advice them, as they are the best in that area, and they have acces to a few famous dive sites, amphores, grottes, wreck's, ...

Hi Bart, what a great post, has really made my morning. So many fabulous photos. Have stayed on Brac a few years ago, the whole area I thought looked tremendous, ideal boating area which you have now proved.

How do you manage with so many people staying on your boat? Must be a bit of a squeeze?

What are your cruising plans for next year?

coliholic

Visit site
Excellent post and many thanks for taking the time to do it.

Been to Split and Dubrovnik but only for a day each (cruise ship stops). We were in Dubrovnik about seven years ago and the two hotels on the front were still shell holed and in disrepair, guess they've fixed them up now.

What does Karnic weigh and length/beam? Looks like close to the limit for UK trailer laws? And what do you tow it with? I guess it won;t be a 1.6 Focus.

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Fab pix - look like you had a wonderful time.

The shot down on Dubrovnik city is excellent - last time I was there it was under siege with the 'bad guys' on hill.

Seeing your photo shows how lucky the town was because although there was a lot of death and damage it clearly got off quite lightly compared to what may have been done there.

BartW

www.amptec.be

thanks, I completely forgot about this post,

I was thinking again about that fuel station in Ubli Lastovo,
and now I remember that appart from the chaotic aproach (many boats waiting, and a ferry approaching );

when we finished fueling, there was another boat moored behind us, and a very strong wind blowing to the dock, so it was difficult to leave,
but with swmbo handling a bow line looped to the dock we managed very well
and can apreciate your handling skills with a 17m boat ! :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
What does Karnic weigh and length/beam? Looks like close to the limit for UK trailer laws?

loa is 9m, and beam is 2,6m so thats OK, but
on paper, the boat was 2.5T without the trailer,
therefor we had chosen a alluminium 3,5T trailer (weight approx 0,8T)

unfortunotly the total weight of the combination including all boat accesories, is over the legal limit, but I allowed myself some stretch :eek:

and even on UK roads it works quite well ;)
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249511

MapisM

Visit site
it was difficult to leave, but with swmbo handling a bow line looped to the dock we managed very well
Yup, that's what we did either.
Lot of fenders on the bow on stbd side, port engine fwd and stbd in reverse, finally reversing out of he bay after releasing the line.
Trouble was, aside from the pretty strong wind, some small boats were moored along the western side of the bay (pretty close to the stern of my boat).
So, knowing that it was a "make or break" situation, I used more throttle in that maneuver than I've ever used while cruising - and in spite of that, my stern missed the moored boats by a hair.
The guys at the fuel dock seemed to appreciate the maneuver, but in truth I was just luck.
I can't think of what could happen if my stern would have fouled with the moored boats...

BartW

www.amptec.be
How do you manage with so many people staying on your boat? Must be a bit of a squeeze?

it is not as bad as it seems,
when the kids are there, we don't sleep on the boat, (8 peeps al together)
and while we sail, usually the boys like sitting (or lying)on the bow, and the lady's prefer the sunbed on the stern
when the kids are there we don't do trips much longer then an hour, much more time is spend shilling on and swimming around the boat in a bay, or visiting interesting places for a change.
Most memorable moments are when we return late at night in the dark, after dinner in a distant reastaurant.

When we do the liveaboard cruising we are either 2 or 4 peeps,
that's doable if it its just for a few day's (5)
we can have 6 berths, but that is not comfortable, no room for storage.
last year we were 5 peeps for a cruising trip of 6 day's that was on the edge,
and you need to have passenger that can apreciate the small space, and ofcause you need to know and to like them ..

What are your cruising plans for next year?

not decided yet, but the other half mentioned to visit "Venice" in summer with our boat, coming from Croatia
and as she must be obeyed ;),
it sounds romantic anyway, and thats what she likes
I should asc for some Italian advice again :)

last weekend I met some friends from the cornwall trip, they want to make plans for 2011, mmmmm thats good,

then one week Spain diving around medas islands (Estartit) with the diving club,

and ofcause Cassis (in SOF) with another group of friends is already booked

and then as usual many weekends in Holland "zeeland"

oh I realise that 2011 is now already completely booked :eek:

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Aha didn't realise you did day cruises from your holiday home. Now makes sense.

Still sorry I missed you in Cornwall. You certainly get around a fair bit, where's your favourite cruising / diving areas? Do you get out in winter or is the boat put to bed?

BartW

www.amptec.be
We stayed in the Excelsior in Dubrovnik about 6 weeks ago and the hotel is very good although once again and I know we disagree about this but the food in the hotel is not good for the price.

You’re right, the food is not excellent in hotel Excelsior,
When you’re in Dubrovnik, you want to go to one of these restaurants:
“Proto”, (right in the center)
Or
“Nautica,” (on the outside of the “Pile” entrance to the old city)

In Cavtat, the best is
”Leut”

On the islands: (from south to nord)

On Sipan
“Konoba Kod Marka” (reservation is obligatory in summer season)
“Tauris”

On Peljesac, Towards Ston:
“Nico” in Kobas
“Bakus” in Ston
“Kapetanova kuca” in Mali Ston (if you don’t mind walking 1mile)

On Mljet
“Burbon” in Polace
“Marijina konoba” in Prozura

in Hvar
“Gatiful”
“Zori” on island Palmizana

On Lastovo
“Triton”

On Brac
“Pipo”

In Trogir
“Frenki”

In Split
“Duje” and
“Boban”

I Should add these on my google map, but I don’t know yet how to change the color of the dot
(mooring places is bleu, restaurants is … )

jfm

Visit site
Imho best food in dubrovnik is Pucic Palace, though it is in old city insides so no sea view. Nautika is also very nice, and great view. The newish Gils has perhaps the best location (view over harbour) but I dunno how good the food is

Hotels wise i have tried Argentina and Hilton, and I like Argentina better, but Hilton is easier to walk into the old city (Hilton is at entrance to city walls, right near Nautika)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Thnks Bart. More info from you to use next season. Appreciate that

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Imho best food in dubrovnik is Pucic Palace, though it is in old city insides so no sea view. Nautika is also very nice, and great view. The newish Gils has perhaps the best location (view over harbour) but I dunno how good the food is

Hotels wise i have tried Argentina and Hilton, and I like Argentina better, but Hilton is easier to walk into the old city (Hilton is at entrance to city walls, right near Nautika)

Thnx jfm