Crossing the adriatic from Dubrovnik to Vieste(I)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Imho best food in dubrovnik is Pucic Palace, though it is in old city insides so no sea view. Nautika is also very nice, and great view. The newish Gils has perhaps the best location (view over harbour) but I dunno how good the food is

We were at Gils this summer, food not same quality as Nautika nor Proto, and the servants try a bit to hard..., but the vieuw is nice indeed.

Never was at Pucic Palace, in high season too many tourists walking along the place and looking in your dish.

BartW

www.amptec.be
where's your favourite cruising / diving areas?

favourite cruising is Croatia ofcause,
favourite diving is SOF, the area between Marseille and Toulon is my favourite.
the combination of the climate, culture, athmosphere, deep bleu water, surprisingly good underwater life, friends, and .... my boat
Egypt is very good, but after 8 visits, I'm a little fed up with it.
In April I'll go for the 3th time to Maldives, very nice when you like the big stuff like me

but as usual more important is with whom you can share the fun, then where it takes place.

Do you get out in winter or is the boat put to bed?

sinds end october boat is in my warehouse, but next sunday we will take part in a "Xmis" trip, for sports boats, sailing approx 100nm in the inland waters around Rotterdam. (BRRRRR that will be cold :))
then she will go in for winter maintenance, and some modifications on the deck, to be ready by mid april.

jfm

Visit site
how do you save posts ?
I use "Favourites" is that what you do ?

problem is they don't travel with me when I'm on another PC

I just paste them into one Word doc called "Croatia threads", so I can lookup the pictures and place names. Not very sophisticated! If you select the whole thread, copy/paste into MS Word, you definitely get all the actual images, and not just the

BartW

www.amptec.be
Did you have the opportunity to make also some snorkeling in Bisevo blue cave? That's the best swimming spot of the whole Adriatic imho, with very coloured rock walls enlightened by the sun, particularly in the morning.

we still haven't been able to snorkel in the cave. it is forbidden in high season, many visitors with the dingy's going in.
I'm not sure if they allow it some time. last year we were there also in high season, but there were less visitors, it was afternoon, and also not allowed.

as a senior Croatia cruiser, what is your favourite cruising area and mooring spot in the Adriatic ?
(apart from Lastovo which I know you like)

MapisM

Visit site
Doh! Are they really forbidding snorkeling in Bisevo cave now?
Shame on them, you're loosing 90% of the cave beauty if you can't snorkel inside it.
'Fiuaskme, I'd rather forbid RIBs than snorkeling...
...though I guess their reason has something to see with the chance to collect some money from visitors on a dinghy, as opposed to swimmers? :)

Now, my favourite cruising area and mooring spots... Not easy to say, really - there were just too many.
Some day I must find the time to dig in my pics collection and put together a retrospective cruise report!
Anyway yes, Lastovo would definitely be among my top choices.
In the same area, I can remember also some beautiful spots in Mljet and Korcula.
And further north, various small bays in the Kornati archipelago, with the nearby Telascica (though only off season - too crowded in Jul/Aug).
But also the lunar landscape of Velebitski Kanal, or Rab, with its very nice village and the bays in the western coast of the island.
Oh, and Cres, with the southern Kolorat bay.
And Premuda, Losinj, Unije, or the Brijuni archipelago, or...
Heck, those Croatian were indeed blessed with countless fantastic cruising areas!

BartW

www.amptec.be
Are they really forbidding snorkeling in Bisevo cave now?
...I guess their reason has something to see with the chance to collect some money from visitors on a dinghy, as opposed to swimmers? :)
exactly.

my favourite cruising area and mooring spots:

further north,
various small bays in the Kornati archipelago, with the nearby Telascica....
But also the lunar landscape of Velebitski Kanal, or Rab, with its very nice village and the bays in the western coast of the island.
and Cres, with the southern Kolorat bay.
And Premuda, Losinj, Unije, or the Brijuni archipelago, or...

Well still some area's to discover for us then,
we've only covered south Dalmatia, south of Sibenik so far

Some day I must find the time to dig in my pics collection and put together a retrospective cruise report!

that would be REALLY interesting,
in stead of commenting everybody elses posts :D

thanks for the warm comments
and best wishes

MapisM

Visit site
that would be REALLY interesting,
in stead of commenting everybody elses posts
Haha, got the message.
You know what, I'm one of those narrow minded old farts who continued to use film cameras till a few years ago, so I don't have my nicests pics of the croatian years in digital format... :eek:
What else would you expect from someone who cruises on a wooden boat in 2010? :D

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Haha, got the message.
You know what, I'm one of those narrow minded old farts who continued to use film cameras till a few years ago, so I don't have my nicests pics of the croatian years in digital format... :eek:
What else would you expect from someone who cruises on a wooden boat in 2010? :D

I'll second that. I'm sure its easy to scan the old photos and turn them into digital pics:)

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I'd been avoiding this post, the title looked boreing. But after avoiding the, I've got a new boat threads, which I've no interest in at all. (Not that I've anything against folk having a new boat). It just does nothing for me.

But this is fantastic, all that boating is about. I wanna go there, if I ever get well enough.

MapisM

Visit site
Oi Bart, Mike and Jfm, you're making me feel hemmed in! :eek:
Actually, some time ago, I considered to digitise all my old pics, but I realised that a decent conversion from 35mm slides (which is what I used, mostly) isn't trivial, and takes a lot of time. Otoh, I wasn't interested enough to pay a pro shop to do that.
Anyway, it's a long winter, maybe some night I'll be bored enough to select, digitise and readjust at least some of them...
In the meantime, since you insist, here's an appetizers with a few Croatian shots which I already had handy.
With apologies to BartW - this is not meant to hyjack his much nicer trip report of course, but hey, you asked for it!

In no particular order, introduced by truly yours in a classical snorkeling attire, as the rigorous Croatian dress code dictates... :D
Starfish.jpg

(note: the starfish returned in the water right away)

A few cruising moments, respectively along the Istrian coast, Korcula, and the Kornati archipelago:
Clouds.jpg

Cruising.jpg

Kornati.jpg

And now a drive along Cres island with a fine sport car, for a change...
Cres2.jpg

Good for looking at the marina from a non-boating perspective.
Btw, why bother with marinas when you have the whole bay...?!
Cres1.jpg

Time to drive back to the boat, whose anchor light wasn't turned on, ops!
Cres3.jpg

Different latitudes, different islands. Drvenik Veli...
DrvenikVeli.jpg

...Hvar, with the Pakleni islands in the background...
Hvar.jpg

...and Iz. Ok, the town hall wins the context for the bigger flag, but just by a couple of inches! :)
Iz.jpg

To be continued in the following post...

As an aside, why on earth vBulletin says that I've included 22 images when they're actually 20?!?
Geez, at YBW they're definitely not lucky with SW choices.
They jumped on vBulletin exactly when it began going nuts! :rolleyes:

MapisM

Visit site
Ahem. Surely this guy will not use lighthouses as waypoints, next time!
It's called Zapadni island for the records, but it's just a big rock really.
MrZ.jpg

One of the many bays in Kornati area. This specific island is called Levrnaka, and there's a decent restaurant in its northern bay (this is the southern one).
Levrnaka.jpg

Apropos of restaurants, this comes from Konoba Triton in Lastovo...
Lobsters.jpg

...which has a convenient and sheltered dock, too. And free for guests, at least some years ago.
Zaklopatica.jpg

Other islands again, plenty of them around there!
Vis, possibly the only place in HR where wine is drinkable (locally produced)...
Vis.jpg

...Losinij, with the old village harbour, much nicer than the new one but only good for smallish boat.
Easily reachable from the main marina by cab anyway, or even better renting a scooter...
VeliLosinij.jpg

And Murter, along the mainland coast in front of Kornati islands.
There are a lot of these nice lighthouses, and some of them are open to tourists.
The B&B service, as I was told, is not bad. But no first hand experience.
Murter.jpg

Finally, a bit of outdoor sport (in Telascica bay, south of Dugi Otok)...
Telascica.jpg

...and some well deserved relax. Here in Veruda, an Istrian bay near Pula.
Veruda.jpg

Thats-all-folks.jpg

D

Deleted User YDKXO

One for the ladies there, Mapism:) Thanks for posting. A few places I recognise and many I dont. It just makes me want to explore more

BartW

www.amptec.be
Thanks a lot Mario,
That’s a nice addition to this thread, and an invitation for new discovery’s
The quality of your pics is certainly up to the high standard set earlier in this thread :)
Although the first pic was on the edge of being censored ,
luckily you have cut off the face of the young gentlemen :D

Thanks for taking time,
but
here's an appetizers ......
Now you’ve committed yourselve for the main dish :)

By the way,
you know that I do love your boat,
Unfortunately swmbo has a different taste :eek:

Here are my best wishes to all of you
http://www.amptec.be/xmas/

MapisM

Visit site
the first pic was on the edge of being censored, luckily you have cut off the face of the young gentlemen
LOL, yeah, I had to...!
Otoh, I thought that a thread on boating in Croatia wasn't complete without a pic like that, wihch pretty much reflects the local habits, as you surely know.
And not just when all alone in the middle of a bay, as I was in that occasion.
The other pic below (taken in the northern bay of Levrnaka, right in front of the restaurant I previously mentioned, just a few meters outside the right margin of the pic) shows what I mean...
Levrnaka2.jpg

As an aside, nice Xmas card, many thanks and best wishes to you too.
Is that your business? I don't dare asking how many watts you have onboard...! :D