Combine 3 x single phase/220v = 3-phase power?

vas

Visit site
The pump is for grey water discharge. Just checked it again and it's actually 3kw, which suggests that a single phase 220v/16a could pull it, if I can only convert it to 3-phase power?

EDIT: I could add this phase converter on a single 220v/16a phase to run it? Simlug Frequency Converter, 220V 3KW Single-phase Inverter Output 3-Phase Frequency Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

View attachment 102123
ffs, how big is that boat and how big is that grey water tank that needs a 3kW pump???
You can get an inverter that will cost you 400-500euro that does a single to 3-ph conversion at that size. Check Schneider or Intertek
I wonder if this pump is a massive overkill and a 1kW would do the same job (albeit slightly slower)

V.

starfire

Visit site
Swap it out for a single phase motor, or a single phase to 3 phase convertor, just for that motor.
Thats a hell of a grey water pump!
Arrange for 3 separate single phase supplies into the boat. Providing it is wired correctly, it doesn't matter if they are on the same phase.

I normally have the opposite problem, 3 phase supply into a single phase boat

rolf.nielsen

Visit site
ffs, how big is that boat and how big is that grey water tank that needs a 3kW pump???
You can get an inverter that will cost you 400-500euro that does a single to 3-ph conversion at that size. Check Schneider or Intertek
I wonder if this pump is a massive overkill and a 1kW would do the same job (albeit slightly slower)

V.
It may be overkill, but that's how I roll.

Could this do the trick? : Amazon.com: Phase Converter, Should Be Used for Motor of 15 Amps and 5HP, 3.7KW, Input: 1ph 200V-240V, Output: 3ph 200V-240V: Home Audio & Theater

vas

Visit site
yes probably will.
Just keep in mind that starting such a beast from shore power (assuming you are allowed to empty the contents of your grey water tank in the port) may trip the breaker.
The Invertek 4KW which I have to run my watermaker Invertek Optidrive Inverter E3 IP20 ODE-3 1 Phase in - 3 Phase out | eBay
has the added advantage that you can ramp up the Hz and hence rpm of the motor to slow start and avoid the massive peak of current you get when you flick the switch. Not expensive and nice bit of kit, highly recommend it (too many parameters to configure though!)

cheers

V.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The pump motor also states 240v 11a so no need for converters/inverters

A 3kw pump just for grey water is massively over spec. You could pump grey water with just about any pump, a £40 bilge pump would do the job, just take some time, so fitting something a bit more sensible would be the best answer.

How big is the grey tank ?

Alicatt

Visit site
Still think OP has three single phase inputs due to high power usage.

Can you buy 240 AC three phase domestic equipment ? how many marinas have 240 AC 3 phase on the pontoon ?

Brian
A lot of US 3-Phase equipment is 240V @60Hz with their single phase being 110V @60Hz, I went through this while looking for information for installing my hot tub.
My hotplate and oven in my house kitchen are both 3phase, but can be wired single phase, my house is wired 3 phase and it has been a headache sorting it out especially with floating earths. At least installing the solar panels was an easy job as it has 3phase inverters

NorthUp

Visit site
It also says 240v 11a
240Volts, AC, wired in delta.... 3 phases.
Delta being the triangle symbol.

The 415v option would have the internal windings connected in 'star'.

Paul is right to say just buy another pump, unless you need to empty the tank in 60 seconds!

rolf.nielsen

Visit site
The pump motor also states 240v 11a so no need for converters/inverters

A 3kw pump just for grey water is massively over spec. You could pump grey water with just about any pump, a £40 bilge pump would do the job, just take some time, so fitting something a bit more sensible would be the best answer.

How big is the grey tank ?
It's about 2 tons. It's a 65-foot liveaboard. I'd prefer to just add the phase converter discussed above rather than to mess with changing the pump. I'll just have to install a switch so I can either run the pump off of straight 3-phase power when I have that available, or switch to single phase through a phase converter when I'm 3 x single phase shore power supply.

NorthUp

Visit site
It's about 2 tons. It's a 65-foot liveaboard. I'd prefer to just add the phase converter discussed above rather than to mess with changing the pump. I'll just have to install a switch so I can either run the pump off of straight 3-phase power when I have that available, or switch to single phase through a phase converter when I'm 3 x single phase shore power supply.
The starting current may be an issue, even if all the 240v sockets are combined on the same phase at your berth. Your electrician can advise when he's seen the rating (edit:class) of the marina circuit breakers.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Would be worth simply wiring the motor for 240v and trying it, if it works OK, problem solved.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thinking about it, the whole point of having a grey water tank is so you don't pump your grey water into the marina. The surrounding boats likely wouldn't notice a sink full of washing up water, or a shower going into the marina next to them. They might not be so impressed with 2000 litres of accumulated and festering water being pumped into the marina next to them.

Perhaps it's better to leave the existing pump as it is and only use it at sea, powered by the generator. If a prolonged stay in a marina meant that the grey tank was full, a more modest 12v pump could be used to partially empty the tank. Something like a Jabsco waste pump (diaphragm type) will shift up to 19 litres an hour minute, so would only need to be running for a few minutes a day to keep up with daily waste.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
Paul, surely 19lt/min not hour!
agree fully, unless the head to the outlet is massive (which I cannot imagine)

V.

pawl

Visit site
I think that you need to be a bit careful with this. The Amazon phase splitter you suggest has an output of 220V 3ph, the motor looks as though it will run from this if it is connected "delta" pattern. However, if you're in the UK the standard 3ph supply will be 415V (approx). The motor would normally be connected "star" pattern. If your're going to run it at 220V (3 phase) then it will draw a lot more amps. Also the starting load will be about 2 - 3 times higher than the running load, unless you have some sort of "soft" starting device. You could install a changeover switch from star to delta but I think that you will struggle to run this from the usual 16 amp supply.

A lot of marinas in the UK have provision on some berths for a 32 amp supply, which is enough to run a large house. So perhaps a bit of planning as to where you berth might solve some problems.

I'm not sure about using 3 different shore sockets as I don't see how you would know whether they were all on the same phase or on separate phases. As far as I'm aware the only things that need a 3 phase supply are motors, everything else can be run from 1 phase if the supply is adequate.

In the UK, for houses and business premises, it is illegal to have 2 electrical outlets on different phases within possible touching distance of each other, for obvious safety reasons. On a boat, if you have the phases "balanced out" between various items and sockets this may be difficult to achieve. So you may find that any qualified electrician in the UK could be reluctant to wire this.

William_H

Visit site
I would suggest the 3 phase motor on the pump would be the problem. So disconnect the pump and you have a system effectively of 3 different supplies all single phase. Yes you could just connect them together.
My house has 3 phase supply. At one time it had a 3 phase electric instantaneous water heater 15 amps for each phase so pretty high powered. With that gone I now have 1/3 of power points on each phase giving potential for 45 amps through 3x 15amp CBs. I could if needed run all circuits wired together from a single phase generator but at much lower total power. Must make double sure the mains were disconnected. I would not do that but rather simply run an extension cord to the fridge etc disconnected from main supply. Much safer and more clearly isolated.
So I would suggest to OP if he finds himself at a marina with single phase supply that he set up a separate extension cord and portable power board and only connect those services he really needs. (not the 3 phase pump) ol'will