Solar performance

lustyd

Visit site
At 52°C there will be a significant degradation in the output of any solar panel, it's simple physics.
The degradation is nothing like as extreme as suggested, and I repeat that 52C is not that hot for a panel. People get confused because it's too hot to touch, but that's not the same thing at all. In the old days data centres were set to 20C until we realised that 38C was fine for the servers and acceptable for humans.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The degradation is nothing like as extreme as suggested, and I repeat that 52C is not that hot for a panel. People get confused because it's too hot to touch, but that's not the same thing at all. In the old days data centres were set to 20C until we realised that 38C was fine for the servers and acceptable for humans.
The temperature coefficient of solar panel typically ranges from 0.25 to 0.5 % per degree centigrade and is usually expressed from 25°C so at 52°C you could expect up to 10% loss of output. It's physics you see or perhaps you don't.

geem

Visit site
I agree, but that assumes there's genuine evidence of a bad product and some effort has been made to determine that the problem is systemic. Millions of these have been sold and most of us are having no problems at all which suggests strongly that the product itself is not flawed. That means either user error, faulty item, or fake item.
Do you have any 50w Renogy panels? You are adamant that there is nothing wrong with my four but you can offer an explanation as to why. I am a qualified engineer. I spent my whole career in mechanical and electrical engineering. I know how to test a solar panel performance. The panels are crap. There is no other viable explanation. Your larger panels may well perform there socks off but the 50w panels don't.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
You're the one who's not making it work....

There seem to be a lot of people with solar panels who've 'learned' about it on youtube but can't sort things out.
Geem is one of the more knowledgeable posters on here.

Whereas, you have a very poor understanding of electrics, as you demonstrate on a regular basis. Posts #46 and #53 are prime examples, they are just meaningless words that bear no resemblance to reality.

You seem unable to even grasp the concept of having solar panels in series.

noelex

Visit site
Well treated panels don’t have significant failure rates, those days are long gone and people need to stop perpetuating those myths.
I am not convinced. Rigid solar panels have a significantly longer life in my experience.

Rather than complete failure, a more common report is a panel that starts with a reasonable output (although not quite as good as an equivalent rigid panel) and gradually reduces in performance until replacement is warranted.

Flexible solar panels have advantages such as lower weight and ease of fitting so they are still the best choice for some boats or some locations (a mixture of rigid and flexible panels is quite common), but the lower output of these panels, especially as they age, needs to be taken into account.
52C is hot for a human, for silicon electronics it’s actually pretty cool.
This degrades the output, but thermal cycling is also one of the major factors that causes micro cracks. Unfortunately, micro cracks also trigger hot spots within the panel causing further problems. Solar panels have a higher output and will last longer if you can keep them at a reasonable temperature. See this paper:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214785318312665

Quote: ”Operating solar photovoltaic at lower temperature will increase its lifespan

geem

Visit site
I am not convinced. Rigid solar panels have a significantly longer life in my experience.

Rather than complete failure, a more common report is a panel that starts with a reasonable output (although not quite as good as an equivalent rigid panel) and gradually reduces in performance until replacement is warranted.

Flexible solar panels have advantages such as lower weight and ease of fitting so they are still the best choice for some boats or some locations (a mixture of rigid and flexible panels is quite common), but the lower output of these panels, especially as they age, needs to be taken into account.

This degrades the output, but thermal cycling is also one of the major factors that causes micro cracks. Unfortunately, micro cracks also trigger hot spots within the panel causing further problems. Solar panels have a higher output and will last longer if you can keep them at a reasonable temperature. See this paper:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214785318312665

Quote: ”Operating solar photovoltaic at lower temperature will increase its lifespan
I will be fitting new felixible solar panels to replace the Renogy 50w one. It will be interesting to see how new ones perform. If you have any recommendations for high quality flexi panels I would be interested

lustyd

Visit site
If you have any recommendations for high quality flexi panels I would be interested
Renogy ones ARE high quality. Whatever panels you buy, if you're unwilling to put the work in to get them to perform then you will view them as poor. Same as anything in life.

geem

Visit site
Renogy ones ARE high quality. Whatever panels you buy, if you're unwilling to put the work in to get them to perform then you will view them as poor. Same as anything in life.
Haha, you are kidding! Renogy are NOT high quality! They have a rock bottom reputation in the USA. I know Trident on here will have a different opinion but that is not shared by the US sailing community.
You as the expert Ronogy person still have not offered any explanation as to why they don't perform, suggesting user error. You don't explain why my glass panels perform their socks off on a regular basis using the same Victron MPPTs. The installation is identical.

Trident

Visit site
Haha, you are kidding! Renogy are NOT high quality! They have a rock bottom reputation in the USA. I know Trident on here will have a different opinion but that is not shared by the US sailing community.
You as the expert Ronogy person still have not offered any explanation as to why they don't perform, suggesting user error. You don't explain why my glass panels perform their socks off on a regular basis using the same Victron MPPTs. The installation is identical.

In the US Renogy have a lot of issues over customer service and that gets them a bad rep - Will Prowse who you have quoted though loves the quality on many of their products and so far in 4 years I have not had any issues with perhaps 150 panels, 50 plus MPPT and dozens of inverters etc and of course maybe 200 LIfePo4 batteries. I also use their stuff day in day out myself on my boat and have had zero issues - not one - better than advertised power from the panels, no problems with the batteries or MPPT or DCDC (though still only used for many an hour in 3 years so ...) I have had no customer complaints about any products I fitted and only one query about one I supplied but did not fit.

I also have Fogstar and Victron accounts and have more issues with Victron than anything else - but I will say that is never so far to do with quality and more often to do with complex set up on some products that still need dedicated hardware to program and so on - plus an hour on the phone trying to get a log in code from Denmark with no reply so having to google and some one online said try **** which turned out to be right :D

Currently I can see no better panels than Renogy - the Maxeon are great for big cats but too big for most, the Victron are over priced and last year's tech so not as efficient as Renogy or Maxeon and others have supply issues etc . I will from now on be building all my own battery packs with EVE cells and JK BMS as the pricing has made them cheaper and better now than other choices (though as I said no issues at all with Renogy batteries) but MPPT will normally be Renogy and sometimes Victron (I think the Renogy MPPT are better) .

If you want when you get back to the UK post me the Renogy panels (I'll pay the shipping) and I'll test them for you and see what I find and post here . If they are crap I'll be happy to send them back to the very helpful UK trade team (well its one guy but he goes out of his way to help) and expedite replacement

I'm not going to remotely argue that you are wrong in your assessment as I respect your experience but our experiences of the same product vary hugely and I'm interested to discover why.

geem

Visit site
In the US Renogy have a lot of issues over customer service and that gets them a bad rep - Will Prowse who you have quoted though loves the quality on many of their products and so far in 4 years I have not had any issues with perhaps 150 panels, 50 plus MPPT and dozens of inverters etc and of course maybe 200 LIfePo4 batteries. I also use their stuff day in day out myself on my boat and have had zero issues - not one - better than advertised power from the panels, no problems with the batteries or MPPT or DCDC (though still only used for many an hour in 3 years so ...) I have had no customer complaints about any products I fitted and only one query about one I supplied but did not fit.

I also have Fogstar and Victron accounts and have more issues with Victron than anything else - but I will say that is never so far to do with quality and more often to do with complex set up on some products that still need dedicated hardware to program and so on - plus an hour on the phone trying to get a log in code from Denmark with no reply so having to google and some one online said try **** which turned out to be right :D

Currently I can see no better panels than Renogy - the Maxeon are great for big cats but too big for most, the Victron are over priced and last year's tech so not as efficient as Renogy or Maxeon and others have supply issues etc . I will from now on be building all my own battery packs with EVE cells and JK BMS as the pricing has made them cheaper and better now than other choices (though as I said no issues at all with Renogy batteries) but MPPT will normally be Renogy and sometimes Victron (I think the Renogy MPPT are better) .

If you want when you get back to the UK post me the Renogy panels (I'll pay the shipping) and I'll test them for you and see what I find and post here . If they are crap I'll be happy to send them back to the very helpful UK trade team (well its one guy but he goes out of his way to help) and expedite replacement

I'm not going to remotely argue that you are wrong in your assessment as I respect your experience but our experiences of the same product vary hugely and I'm interested to discover why.
Good to hear you experience of Renogy.
I would be interested to know how you would test them. Perhaps I can do the same test as you? My testing so far suggests they simply don't have the output they should have. Is there anything I am missing?

Trident

Visit site
Good to hear you experience of Renogy.
I would be interested to know how you would test them. Perhaps I can do the same test as you? My testing so far suggests they simply don't have the output they should have. Is there anything I am missing?
The only thing I would do differently from you is test each individually at 12v to check each against the other and see if one is weak / damaged and check cables and connectors too - I don't say you're doing anything wrong but if they are "crap" then to talk to Renogy about it I'd always prefer to be able to say "i've tested these and there is a problem" so they can't argue.

The offer is there if you think its worth it - I know the panels are only £50 each so the money isn't a big deal but I think we're both very curious as to why you are getting such a poor performance with these 4 panels

geem

Visit site
The only thing I would do differently from you is test each individually at 12v to check each against the other and see if one is weak / damaged and check cables and connectors too - I don't say you're doing anything wrong but if they are "crap" then to talk to Renogy about it I'd always prefer to be able to say "i've tested these and there is a problem" so they can't argue.

The offer is there if you think its worth it - I know the panels are only £50 each so the money isn't a big deal but I think we're both very curious as to why you are getting such a poor performance with these 4 panels
I filed a request with Renogy today. There is a strange anomaly with the SKU number. Mine are RNG-50DB-H-US. On the automated process, this SKU number didn't come up.
Thanks for the offer. I tested the panels when I first got them. I tested them again yesterday and there is no difference in output.
I am curious as to why they don't perform. If there was one or two bad ones, I could understand it but all 4 don't perform. They are all consistent with each other.
That is why I drew the conclusion that they are just crap. It also parallels my experience of other felixible panels I have tried previously. Even the cheapest framed panels always exceed the performance of flexis. That is just my experience.
My four 180w framed panels were cheap. About £120 each. They are wired in series pairs and regularly peak at over 400w. The starboard ones have done it 3 times in the last 10 days

Trefusis

Visit site
It never hurts to have high acceptance rate 😊. But yes it's even more beneficial if you're generator or alternator charging.

As originally installed, we would peak at about 0.2C charge rate from solar. We've since doubled the battery capacity so now it's more like 0.1C.
What kind of current do lead acids accept once they come off bulk?

I forgot to mention one other benefit of lithium- they don't care a jot if they don't reach 100%. No sulphation to worry about 😊
It does help to go to 100% periodically to trigger cell balancing - once a week or every other week.

Sea Change

Visit site
It does help to go to 100% periodically to trigger cell balancing - once a week or every other week.
In principle yes, but if you have a half decent BMS (yet another advantage of going DIY), you can set the balance voltage to whatever you want. Mine is set at 3.4v, so I don't need to push the cells up to the 100% point.

Trefusis

Visit site
I agree - I have tested thousands of solar panels from China and Europe and their rated output is very accurate - in fact I have never found one out by more than 3% using calibrated current and insolation meters.
I like Will’s videos but that’s just nonsense. The rating on a panel isn’t some mythical number, it’s the power output of that panel in good conditions. If it couldn’t produce that they’d put a different number or make the panel slightly larger. Everyone I know gets over 100% in good conditions so I’d suggest installation problems are the issue.
If they were going to lie, they’d do it on fixed panels as well, surely?

geem

Visit site
I agree - I have tested thousands of solar panels from China and Europe and their rated output is very accurate - in fact I have never found one out by more than 3% using calibrated current and insolation meters.
I have framed panels that were not expensive yet they outperform their rating on a regular basis. At the same time, I have these Renogy panels that have woeful performance. I don't need your blessing or your suggestions that I am testing them incorrectly to know they are faulty. They are faulty. They have never reached anywhere near their rated output. Some of that can be explained by the higher panel surface temperature of flexible panels mounted on a surface as opposed to framed panels with only air underneath them. However, the truly terrible output of my 4 Renogy panels cannot be put down to temperature difference alone.
I contacted Renogy at the beginning of this thread. They gave me some tests to do. I did those tests and sent them the results. I heard nothing for a couple of weeks. I then got a reply apologising for the slow response. That was several weeks ago and I still have no further response from them.
In the USA, Renogy have a terrible reputation for service. My experience with Renogy UK is on a par with those that berate Renogy USA.
I will never buy another Renogy product again.

Trefusis

Visit site
Well treated panels don’t have significant failure rates, those days are long gone and people need to stop perpetuating those myths.
52C is hot for a human, for silicon electronics it’s actually pretty cool.
Totally agree. EFTP panels don't deamination so readily as the older PET panels. Delamination usually starts at the copper grommets since they corroded. The adhesive silicoln in the
I have framed panels that were not expensive yet they outperform their rating on a regular basis. At the same time, I have these Renogy panels that have woeful performance. I don't need your blessing or your suggestions that I am testing them incorrectly to know they are faulty. They are faulty. They have never reached anywhere near their rated output. Some of that can be explained by the higher panel surface temperature of flexible panels mounted on a surface as opposed to framed panels with only air underneath them. However, the truly terrible output of my 4 Renogy panels cannot be put down to temperature difference alone.
I contacted Renogy at the beginning of this thread. They gave me some tests to do. I did those tests and sent them the results. I heard nothing for a couple of weeks. I then got a reply apologising for the slow response. That was several weeks ago and I still have no further response from them.
In the USA, Renogy have a terrible reputation for service. My experience with Renogy UK is on a par with those that berate Renogy USA.
I will never buy another Renogy product again.
I am not saying yours aren't faulty just a general comment that the rated output on new panels is quite reliable. I really hope you are able to make contact with Renogy and get them replaced. Thanks for pointing out the terrible customer service with Renogy - useful for others the hear.

B27

Visit site
It would be useful to measure some currents and voltages with these panels.
If you lay a panel flat on the ground next to a known good panel and compare the short circuit currents, you can get a very good idea of a panel's power, even on a cloudy day, because the two panels will have the same insolation.

If you're seeing poor power via an MPPT regulator, maybe the regulator is not looking for the max power point in the correct area of the V/I curve? Maybe the regulator needs a reset or some parameters changed, or maybe it simply hasn't had enough time to find the max power point?

There are 'MPPT' ICs on the market where the max power voltage has to be set.

I was chatting to someone on the pontoon the other day, he was saying his flex panels lost power, in his opinion, because they got flexed too much.

Meanwhile, my £12 rubbish ebay panel managed to water the greenhouse while we were away. Despite putting out more like 2w than the 30W it claims.

geem

Visit site
It would be useful to measure some currents and voltages with these panels.
If you lay a panel flat on the ground next to a known good panel and compare the short circuit currents, you can get a very good idea of a panel's power, even on a cloudy day, because the two panels will have the same insolation.

If you're seeing poor power via an MPPT regulator, maybe the regulator is not looking for the max power point in the correct area of the V/I curve? Maybe the regulator needs a reset or some parameters changed, or maybe it simply hasn't had enough time to find the max power point?

There are 'MPPT' ICs on the market where the max power voltage has to be set.

I was chatting to someone on the pontoon the other day, he was saying his flex panels lost power, in his opinion, because they got flexed too much.

Meanwhile, my £12 rubbish ebay panel managed to water the greenhouse while we were away. Despite putting out more like 2w than the 30W it claims.
The victron mppt regulator provided voltage amps, watts and data and logs it all for 30 days. My Fluke meter independently tested each panel. These results were sent to Renogy, as requested in June. They were in line with my tests I did when the panels were brand new. They have never performed anything like they are rated to do. I dont have one faulty panel I have four panels that all have similar poor output. There is something seriously wrong with these panels. As a mechanical and electric engineer and capable of testing panels and determining if they are performing. They do not perform.
By contrast, my framed panels perform their socks off. I won't be buying flexible panels again unless I can find some with performance that lives up to the rated output. I would be happy if I could achieve 90% occasionally rather than the 63% peak mine have achieved