Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
She is a Com Pac 23, an American designed and built boat. I don’t know if there is another 23 in the UK
This is mine. I like to think she has a classic look to her.
View attachment 74093

I do like the look of them, and I think there's one in Suffolk. I'm fairly sure its a Compac 23 I viewed when it stood for sale for quite a few years (overpriced, I thought at the time) at Suffolk Yacht Harbour. More recently it (or something v similar) has stood in a garden at Shotley (not in the nearby marina). I assume it's the one I saw, and is now being refurbished for use.

Next time I'm down that way (it may be a while) I'll try to remember to take a pic and PM it to you.

geem

Visit site

eebygum

Visit site
My 1973 S&S designed SHE 32C, Vivendi took part in the 2019 Jester Baltimore challenge, then completed a circumnavigation of Ireland last year and is 0FFAAD7B-75B6-4A36-87CC-401D0A63A1A8.jpeg

still going strong.

Attachments

• 10610793-9505-47F8-86FB-86948ACACF47.jpeg
    10610793-9505-47F8-86FB-86948ACACF47.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
You can't get away from the fact that in the 1960s almost all cruising boats (and racing) being built were traditional long keel using wood as the primary construction material. By the 1980s almost none of that type were being built, although a few lingered on using GRP hulls.
The Carter designed "Angel" atracted many admiring glances. It was built in wood by Tucker Brown at Burnham on crouch. Circa 1969. The director Sony Cole scathingly said that it was just a "skimming dish." However, when he sailed it he suddenly changed his mind. It won lots of races & I often watched it return from the south coast racing on a Sunday or Monday evening with the kids clothes & nappies drying off the boom. I think it was owned by the commodore of the Crouch YC but not sure.
Gorgeous boat & fast.
Perhaps some east coast sailors have more accurate details

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
So how old does a boat need to be to be classed as a classic? ... or are there other criteria too?
"Classic" is very subjective and therefore is down to an individual to declare what yacht he feels should be a classic; its an absolute personal preference. There are so many GRP Plastic Fantastic yachts from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and perhaps 90's sailing around and looking great.