Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Why would you need to go to the pointy end when it's bumpy?
I try not to. But we have a removable inner forestay for the smaller headsails which sometimes needs a trip to the front. Mostly we stay in the cockpit wondering if the anchor windlass is supposed to have a bow wave of its own.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Pic' 1 shows DIDO my old classic Van de Stadt 1965 Invicta 26, this is the last time I saw her in 2017 when her new owners sailed her away from Aberaeron to her new home in Falmouth, Pic 2 DIDO's replacement a 1980 Sadler 25 which I believe is now also considered a GRP classic.

Attachments

• DIDO .jpg
    DIDO .jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Muntjak 1.jpg
    Muntjak 1.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 33

steve350

Visit site
My old Hurley 22, a wonderfully capable boat for it's size. I had to part with her due to changing family circumnstances. I have fond memories of her and seek to replicate her qualities in a larger boat.

slings resize.jpeg

doug748

Visit site
My old Hurley 22, a wonderfully capable boat for it's size. I had to part with her due to changing family circumnstances. I have fond memories of her and seek to replicate her qualities in a larger boat.

I think I knew a previous owner round about 2000 - 2005 that sort of date. Very smart boat.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
My old Hurley 22, a wonderfully capable boat for it's size.

I agree. I had one, too (sadly not as shiny as yours), and travelled far and wide in it. It instilled great confidence.

I also had to sell mine due to changed domestic circumstances. By chance I spotted it up for sale again a couple of years ago. I hope it's still getting good use and providing enjoyment.

steve350

Visit site
I think I knew a previous owner round about 2000 - 2005 that sort of date. Very smart boat.

Thanks Doug. Kudos was a local boat with her home port being Plymouth between the dates you mention. Her previous owner was from Ivybridge so I guess you may have known him. She was moored on the Plym, just off Oreston.

I agree. I had one, too (sadly not as shiny as yours), and travelled far and wide in it. It instilled great confidence.
I also had to sell mine due to changed domestic circumstances. By chance I spotted it up for sale again a couple of years ago. I hope it's still getting good use and providing enjoyment.

People I have spoken with who have owned a Hurley 22 have all spoken highly of the design.
I recall one occasion speaking with a guy in the boat yard who was fettling his Westerly GK29. He said that although he enjoyed blasting around the cans in his GK29 he considered the Hurley to be a more stable and seaworthy platform. He said that in the event of deteriorating weather he would rather be on board the Hurley.
A classic yacht I believe.

MOBY2

Visit site
My old girl is 1969 Trident 24 , see avatar, I believe the first one was 1961 love the looks of her .... Although that Twister is pretty sweet .... One day

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I certainly would not use the word elegant to describe her. I am not even sure this 1970's design is a classic yacht in the sense of the lovely vessels others have posted. The kindest one can say is that she has character, is seaworthy and now, that I have made all the changes to her rig and steering end, she even sails. She is a virtually a 1 to 1 GRP interpretation of a wooden MFV hull with separate keel/stem, distinct rabbet line and the characteristic hump of a garboard plank.

reduced.jpg
Watson 31.5

Last edited: