Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
however, it looks very nice

Eye of the beholder!

And if it's the same S&S 34 hull as all the production boats, then no one else seems to have had a problem with weather helm. Can't remember Ted Heath saying Morning Cloud needed a tree trunk cobbled on the bow to sail well.

spottydog

Visit site
I understand that Mr. Heath had a full complement of crew to handle the large Genoa. So far I have appreciated the ease of handling 2 smaller foresails and in a blow I have a the option of just the inner foresail and reefed main. The main is a powerful full length battened sail.
But I bow to the superior knowledge of such rigs to Mr. Motor Sailor.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
So far I have appreciated the ease of handling 2 smaller foresails and in a blow I have a the option of just the inner foresail and reefed main.

That's the benefits of a cutter or slutter rig - it doesn't explain why the huge bow sprit was necessary or what effects it has on the sailing characteristics.

NOHOH

Visit site
Nobody has yet mentioned the Victory 40......When she came on the scene in 1970 she was described as the ultimate cruising boat" . Mine is 46 years, with the original engine and still going strong.

John Pix.jpg Built Like a Monument to Posterity

Poignard

Visit site
Nobody has yet mentioned the Victory 40......When she came on the scene in 1970 she was described as the ultimate cruising boat" . Mine is 46 years, with the original engine and still going strong.

View attachment 85662 Built Like a Monument to Posterity

I notice you don't have any battens in the lower part of the mainsail, then what looks like two full-length ones close together about 2/3 of th way up and a single batten near the peak.

Can you please tell me what is the reason for that unconventional arrangement and how it works in practice?

NOHOH

Visit site
I notice you don't have any battens in the lower part of the mainsail, then what looks like two full-length ones close together about 2/3 of th way up and a single batten near the peak.

Can you please tell me what is the reason for that unconventional arrangement and how it works in practice?
The man who made the sails was Andrew Hooper......ask him if you can.. We have had no problems with their performance. They have been in service around 18 years.....made from `Marblehead` fabric and barely showing any sign of degradation even though they have been in the Med now for 9 years.

Poignard

Visit site
The man who made the sails was Andrew Hooper......ask him if you can.. We have had no problems with their performance. They have been in service around 18 years.....made from `Marblehead` fabric and barely showing any sign of degradation even though they have been in the Med now for 9 years.
Thanks. They certainly have given good service.

ashtead

Visit site
Would a Warrior 35 count as they a classic as always struck me as a well set up boat for the era? Any Warrior owners out there who know more of how they have survived since the 80s.

spottydog

Visit site
The designer and builder was Tim Whelpton, he built Crossbow ll, ( the holder of the sailing speed record for a while until those pesky windsurfers came on the scene ?). Crossbow ll is stored directly above the the S&S in the rafters at the moment.
Tim Whelpton knew a thing or two about how to make a boat sail well.