Cherbourg Scuttlebutt Cruise 2014

dom

Visit site
Hi Sailfree - I'm unexpectedly free this w/e so might whizz (well drift!) over on Sat if space still available for two. No probs if too late.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I hope you all have a great time, I'll miss being there with you. It looks like the weather is going to quite pleasant!

I'd like to be the first to congratulate Roger on organising the trip and I really will miss the drinks party on your boat. I'm not looking for ant sympathy, I have a great schedule ahead!

chubby

www.flickr.com
The weather is looking good with settled high pressure weather and easterlies giving a reach across?

Current plans are to leave Portsmouth mid day weds, head down the solent on the ebb, anchor Thursday night where sheltered, maybe Alum bay if still easterly and head across Thursday daytime arriving Cherbourg by evening.

I have thought of going somewhere else first but Alderney is open to E/NE and will be down wind and St Vaast locks don`t open till 2100 BST, would be across by then and anchorage open to the E, so straight to Cherbourg.

Rest day on Friday before the fun of the weekend so if anyone else wants to have an informal meet up Friday evening?

Are we likely to head for pontoon P like previously?

Sailfree

Visit site
Update,

Chubby - yes I will try to get on the last pontoon - stern to ready for the Saturday Pontoon gathering for nibbles and wine etc

Talulah - I have sent out Ver 1 and now ver 2 of the participants details but got a "could not Deliver" message to your old e mail address - please PM me with your latest.

Giblets - I do not have an e mail for you

Langstonelayabout and SAPourdie - are you intending to attend? If so can I have your personal e mail address to sent you the spreadsheet

Galadriel - sorry you can't make it - you will be missed - will raise a glass to you - not that I need an excuse to raise a glass.

To others - please see spreadsheet I have sent to you and let me know any errors /corrections/updates. Could you please let me know your best estimate of numbers for dining and the wine tasting at 13.00. Much of the info I have got from previous years -if you have not received the spreadsheet please send me a current e mail address. Happy to also send spreadsheet to other formites that are attending as crew and include your contact details. If you want a copy please PM me a personal e mail address.

Near the end of the week I will send the latest updated list of boats to Cherbourg so that you can claim your discount to 2 smaller catagories of boat length. list will be edited to remove contact details.

Janes Buoy will start off both the bar and larder with wine/beer/nibbles for that Saturday afternoon pontoon party but others contributions gratefully received.

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
Updated Current runners

Sailfree - Janes Buoy -8
Pinnacle -4
prv - 3
the-drifter 1 - tullah ruby -3
SAPourdie - A Possible
langstonelayabout - 2
Ladyinbed - 1
Angele - 4
Chubby - 2
KREW2 - 4
Talulah - 2
Giblets - 2
Mudisox - 2
Topcat47 - Snark - 2
PaulMcC - Zappa - 2
Wizard - Eve - 2
BobE - Allegretto - 3
Dom - 2

Probable total circa 48 people

Pinnacle

Visit site
Update,

Chubby - yes I will try to get on the last pontoon - stern to ready for the Saturday Pontoon gathering for nibbles and wine etc

Talulah - I have sent out Ver 1 and now ver 2 of the participants details but got a "could not Deliver" message to your old e mail address - please PM me with your latest.

Giblets - I do not have an e mail for you

Langstonelayabout and SAPourdie - are you intending to attend? If so can I have your personal e mail address to sent you the spreadsheet

Galadriel - sorry you can't make it - you will be missed - will raise a glass to you - not that I need an excuse to raise a glass.

To others - please see spreadsheet I have sent to you and let me know any errors /corrections/updates. Could you please let me know your best estimate of numbers for dining and the wine tasting at 13.00. Much of the info I have got from previous years -if you have not received the spreadsheet please send me a current e mail address. Happy to also send spreadsheet to other formites that are attending as crew and include your contact details. If you want a copy please PM me a personal e mail address.

Near the end of the week I will send the latest updated list of boats to Cherbourg so that you can claim your discount to 2 smaller catagories of boat length. list will be edited to remove contact details.

Janes Buoy will start off both the bar and larder with wine/beer/nibbles for that Saturday afternoon pontoon party but others contributions gratefully received.

Roger

Many thanks.

Any chance you could lay on a wind of 15kts south of East for Sunday? :D

Sailfree

Visit site
Roger

Many thanks.

Any chance you could lay on a wind of 15kts south of East for Sunday? :D

It appears F4 E for our Friday crossing and F4 ENE dropping to F3 NE on Sunday I'm afraid. Still early days though for forecasting.

I bought a spinnaker early this year and with enough crew hoped to fly it this weekend as its still a virgin.

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for updates and corrections.

I always find it easy to make mistakes (as my first child will testify!) so don't hesitate to send me e mails/PMs or post on here corrections etc.

I tend to sweep up all changes each day and send out the latest with a Version suffix for clarity.

Sailfree

Visit site
Updated Current runners

Sailfree - Janes Buoy -8
Fergus - Never Look Back - 4
Pinnacle -4
prv - 3
the-drifter 1 - tullah ruby -3
SAPourdie - A Possible
langstonelayabout - 2
Ladyinbed - 1
Angele - 2
Chubby - 1
KREW2 - 2
Talulah - 2
Giblets - 2
Mudisox - 2
Topcat47 - Snark - 2
PaulMcC - Zappa - 2
Wizard - Eve - 2
BobE - Allegretto - 3
Dom - 2

Probable total circa 47 people

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
False start number 2.
Set off from Studland Mon morning, picked up a pot buoy around slak water. Managed to clear it with the help of a passing mobo on his way to St PP by pulling me back to take the strain off the line.
Decided to return to Poole and clear prop of line but about 6 mls off Swanage the wind died, but I was drifting in the direction of Poole.
Called CG to let them know the situation and ask if there was a passing mobo that could tow me in. Luckily Poole LB was out on training exercise so they came to assist and tow me to Poole quay marina.
Snorkeled down and cleared prop on this morning's slack but noticed that the prop was sitting a couplè of inches further out! Investigated inside and found that the flexible coupling had been torn apart!
Called in local engineer to assess and replace, he spent all this pm hammering and sawing to get the coupling off the shaft. No joy, so he will return tomorrow with an electric saw.
All at £65 ph and £30 per night in the marina.
This is definitely not my year :(

Sailfree

Visit site
Nigel - you have never missed any year - yet

Thumb a lift off someone? We are going from Poole but are full with 8. Not sure about Fergus

Sending out latest version tonight with info on codes for Cherbourg new- free - toilet/shower facilities.

Just in case you arrive when reception is shut.

Finding yahoo a bit of a pain to use as difficulty in copying the total e mail list for next e mail so may use my g mail account.

Last edited: