Butter!

Zing

Visit site
Olive oil has too low a smoke point for frying, and this, in the long term will be carcinogenic. Much better to use rapeseed oil.
I should add that raw olive oil has positive health benefits and is fine for salads etc., and why not dip crispy bread in it, rather than spreading cholesterol-inducing butter.
Olive oil can be used in low temperature cooking. There is a fair bit of highly oxidisable omega 6 oils in it, which are far more harmful than is generally appreciated. Rapeseed oil is far worse and should really not be eaten in anything, including mayonnaise, especially not fried with. Butter is fine and does not raise harmful cholesterol levels. That it does is now known to be bad advice. Clarified butter or dripping is better still as it doesn’t burn easily.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Olive oil has too low a smoke point for frying, and this, in the long term will be carcinogenic. Much better to use rapeseed oil.
I should add that raw olive oil has positive health benefits and is fine for salads etc., and why not dip crispy bread in it, rather than spreading cholesterol-inducing butter.
Do I believe 'so-called' research, a life-time of general use or an unknown 'Spirit' on a boating forum?
I am certainly not getting into a debate about cooking with olive oil as I only know what I like and I prefer it to the alternatives.
Please don't take this personally, it is not an insult to your knowledge, but there is contradictory evidence to your opinion.

Such as:
Is Olive Oil a Good Cooking Oil? A Critical Look

Neil

Visit site
The semi-dried "fresh" ravioli and tortellini keep for a long time in the sealed tray and with a jar of pasta sauce (I know but I don't tell my Italian friends) with some Parmagiano makes a quick and tasty meal that can be left on the boat for a good while. Butter shouldn't go off (meaning oxidisation) if properly sealed and though the little catering pats of butter are only foil-wrapped, I imagine they wouldn't go off any time soon but I don't know the longevity of the little plastic pots of "non-diary spreads"

Speaking of tubs of butter being dug up after centuries, the same has been true of pemican, a north American Indian mixture of rendered fat with dried shredded meat and maybe berries; huge rolls wrapped in buffalo hide, dug up and found edible donkey's years later. Not that I'd want to eat it unless it was the end of civilisation as we know it. Similarly hard tack, on a more nautical note.......

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...Butter shouldn't go off (meaning oxidisation) if properly sealed and though the little catering pats of butter are only foil-wrapped, I imagine they wouldn't go off any time soon.....
Based on personal experience: Pack butter into an old/clean jam jar, to about 1/2" from the top, fill to the brim with a very strong salt water solution, screw on the lid and store upright in the bilge. We did that in the Med & Tropics, with butter staying good for >12 months

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Do I believe 'so-called' research, a life-time of general use or an unknown 'Spirit' on a boating forum?
I am certainly not getting into a debate about cooking with olive oil as I only know what I like and I prefer it to the alternatives.
Please don't take this personally, it is not an insult to your knowledge, but there is contradictory evidence to your opinion.

Such as:
Is Olive Oil a Good Cooking Oil? A Critical Look
I know from experience that olive oli begins to smoke long before I want to put the food on the pan. I also know that a salad tastes better with the addition of a decent olive oil rather than a tasteless cooking oil.
That's good enough for me, and I refuse to be bamboozled by biased papers funded by interests close to the vendors of the products they promote.