Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
In 2002 we bought a ColvicVictor 34 for £18000 it was a empty hull with the bulkheads fitted. It came with a host of second hand fitting etc including engine masts and sails etc. We launched it 21/2 years later. It was going in the water or in the for sale adds. It probably cost use at least another 20k. We have lived on the boat in the Med for the last eleven years. Do we regret doing no. Would we do it again no. Do I think you are making mistake no. Good luck.

BIG THUMBS up :)

Tam Lin

Visit site
Now you might not like that above, but acting rationally its the logical thing to do. I dug myself a hole with a boat that still demands a relatively good resale value. .I stopped and it was the wisest thing ive ever done. that said if you want to rebuild a boat and have the funds needed go for it.

Steveeasy

As they say on here, “don’t ask me how I know!”

And having had my say I wish you the best of luck and can’t wait to see how you get on!

GregOddity

Visit site
Hi Greg No problems mate, IF you find a hull/Hin number I can check it against my database and give you an idea of when the hull was manufactured.

There are two other items that can provide this info however from what you say I doubt you have any documentation,IF you have a Colvic Craft original invoice Colvic had the invoice number in the top R/H corner
that number was also used as the hull number.

There is also a document called a 'Colvic Mould Certificate', that also will show the HIN/mould number and date of maunfacture

Note: on the 8th November 2000 Colvic Craft went into liquidation with a job loss of over 50 people.

Mike

just spent some time onthe phone trying to see if someone at the marina new of any paperwork or someone that might have some, sadly it's been sounding like a dead end road. I'm left with trying to find a HIN /hull number. I had a fast look last week while clearing some very old green and wet sponge rolls and saw nothing but I must admit i did not even know where to start and I did hear about some being covered.
I'll let you know how I got on tomorrrow.
Since the model is quiet rare would it still be possible to track production records somewhere?

Tranona

Visit site
Noted, Thanks, you aim for the stars and may reach the heavens or splatter down to earth, but if you never leave the ground... you will never live.

Marine Enterprises is a good source and you should be able to get a something like a Volvo 20240 in the the £3-4k range (about half new price). However the boat was designed for a BMC 1.5l 35hp engine and these are much more regularly available, particularly in the canal world www.calcuttboats.com is a good source of reconditioned engines and boxes but googling will get you plenty of leads. Suggest you don't go down the route of trying to marinise a road vehicle engine when you can get a proven setup for similar money and less work and risk. The only downside to a BMC is that they are 30 years old so you are dependent on spares from odd places - although there are enough around to make spares easy for now. You will need a 2:1 reduction box and a 1 1/4" shaft plus a stern tube and outboard bearing housing from a supplier such as Lake Engineering or T Norris. They can work out your propeller size for you as well - expect it will be something like 16*12 - but get the sums done properly.

Once you have added fuel tank, controls and exhaust doubt you will get the total cost of the installation much under £4k even with a low cost used engine and box.

Tranona

Visit site
just spent some time onthe phone trying to see if someone at the marina new of any paperwork or someone that might have some, sadly it's been sounding like a dead end road. I'm left with trying to find a HIN /hull number. I had a fast look last week while clearing some very old green and wet sponge rolls and saw nothing but I must admit i did not even know where to start and I did hear about some being covered.
I'll let you know how I got on tomorrrow.
Since the model is quiet rare would it still be possible to track production records somewhere?

Not sure why you are so concerned about the HIN. You are in no different position then thousands of other owners of old boats. HIN did not become compulsory until 1998 and before that many builders did not bother with any identification. Nothing happens with the hull number . It is not recorded anywhere except perhaps in the builder's record. Most yards would not have used it as identification for the purposes of build or model identification but probably used a yard number or build number system to control the build process. That number would not go with the boat except perhaps on the original invoice.

The deck house is rare, although Ladyinbed has one, but doubt the HIN would have specifically identified that - as its name implies it is just the hull number. Don't know what happened to the Colvic records, but from my experience of working for boatbuilders at that time doubt they would have much detail, particularly as they mainly built hulls rather than complete boats. I do know that they provided a lot of support material to help home completers and put together fit out packages and it might be more useful trying to track down somebody who completed one as they might have kept the material.

NormanB

Visit site
Well I am looking forward to seeing this being documented on You Tube, I find boat builds, rebuilds, repairs, refits quite interesting. Currently following these on YT:
1.SailLife.
2. Sampson Boat Co.
3.Acorn to Arabella.
4. Salt and Tar.
5. Building Brupeg.
6.SV Seeker.
7. Just Sailing.

And far too many others.����

GregOddity

Visit site
Well I am looking forward to seeing this being documented on You Tube, I find boat builds, rebuilds, repairs, refits quite interesting. Currently following these on YT:
1.SailLife.
2. Sampson Boat Co.
3.Acorn to Arabella.
4. Salt and Tar.
5. Building Brupeg.
6.SV Seeker.
7. Just Sailing.

And far too many others.����

ok I did not have that in mind and now i have people asking me to keep filming and posting private messages on youtube o_O Ill do my best, just dont expect much hehe. Thank you for My Oscars vote (i'm sure it was you)

GregOddity

Visit site
Not sure why you are so concerned about the HIN. You are in no different position then thousands of other owners of old boats. HIN did not become compulsory until 1998 and before that many builders did not bother with any identification. Nothing happens with the hull number . It is not recorded anywhere except perhaps in the builder's record. Most yards would not have used it as identification for the purposes of build or model identification but probably used a yard number or build number system to control the build process. That number would not go with the boat except perhaps on the original invoice.

The deck house is rare, although Ladyinbed has one, but doubt the HIN would have specifically identified that - as its name implies it is just the hull number. Don't know what happened to the Colvic records, but from my experience of working for boatbuilders at that time doubt they would have much detail, particularly as they mainly built hulls rather than complete boats. I do know that they provided a lot of support material to help home completers and put together fit out packages and it might be more useful trying to track down somebody who completed one as they might have kept the material.

I kinda only want to know when she was made and be able to identify the hull. I know they provided extensive support material and i'm hopping to be able to copy some of that. But idd like to have some sort of reference when she came to happen.

GregOddity

Visit site
Marine Enterprises is a good source and you should be able to get a something like a Volvo 20240 in the the £3-4k range (about half new price). However the boat was designed for a BMC 1.5l 35hp engine and these are much more regularly available, particularly in the canal world www.calcuttboats.com is a good source of reconditioned engines and boxes but googling will get you plenty of leads. Suggest you don't go down the route of trying to marinise a road vehicle engine when you can get a proven setup for similar money and less work and risk. The only downside to a BMC is that they are 30 years old so you are dependent on spares from odd places - although there are enough around to make spares easy for now. You will need a 2:1 reduction box and a 1 1/4" shaft plus a stern tube and outboard bearing housing from a supplier such as Lake Engineering or T Norris. They can work out your propeller size for you as well - expect it will be something like 16*12 - but get the sums done properly.

Once you have added fuel tank, controls and exhaust doubt you will get the total cost of the installation much under £4k even with a low cost used engine and box.

Phil my partner in crime is looking into that route. I did think about something along those lines. Were on the fence with a new engine. To be completely honest I would LOVE to go Hybrid diesel /electric but not sure if I would want the headaches of making the system myself. They are MASSIVLY over priced and under developed and being sold as Gold when they are nothing but Tin and the tech has been around from before WW I Diesel generator/ battery bank / electric motor.
Having said that, were probably gonna go the cowards way and go diesel engine of some form.
Thanks for refering marine enterprises.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Suggest you don't go down the route of trying to marinise a road vehicle engine when you can get a proven setup for similar money and less work and risk. The only downside to a BMC is that they are 30 years old so you are dependent on spares from odd places - although there are enough around to make spares easy for now.

What do you suppose half of the diesel engines fitted to boats were originally ? What were the BMC engines ? Perkins 4107/8 ? Perkins Prima ? Merc OM636 ? There are very few "marine" engines that were exclusivley developed for boat use,most are marinised versions of something or other. That said, i wouldn't want to marinise something that hadn't already been done and which part to marinise were not readily available.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Not sure why you are so concerned about the HIN. You are in no different position then thousands of other owners of old boats. HIN did not become compulsory until 1998 and before that many builders did not bother with any identification. Nothing happens with the hull number . It is not recorded anywhere except perhaps in the builder's record.

Mine was requested for my RNSA warrant. I guess it is the ultimate identifier.

Last edited:

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Gladys was moulded in 1980, fitted out in 81 by Severn Valley Cruisers, and her hull number is on a plate stuck inside the hull moulding just inside the companionway to port...

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I've watched your videos​, you do need to look at some built ones to get more of a feel for what you can move as what you can't. You are welcome to come and look at mine​.
The most important thing I noted is that fwd bulkhead position is pretty much fixed as it supports the mast. If you move it, you will need to put in a 'pole' under the mast to transfer the load to the keel.
I have the plans for mine if you want to see them. I also have the contract details of the chap who completed mine. I think it would be worth you joining the Countess Owners Association, as there are a few knowledge guys there who built their own.
PM me an email address so I can send you some more info.

GregOddity

Visit site
I still endorse 'GregOddity's intention and determination. And if I haven't mentioned it elsewhere, very welcome! C'mon, guys! We all know there's nothing logical about sailing.....

There are lots of bargains around. One just needs a sharp eye and a swift decision. F'r example, I recently removed a marinised Kubota c/w gearbox and heat exchanger in working condition. It could have run on for years, but if it stopped I wouldn't have the nous to work on it/work out what was wrong. I advertised it for £500 and it sold same day. It's now re-installed in another boat....

I have a 1" ( I think ) prop shaft sitting here, an 'inherited bequest'. If G'O considers it likely to be useful to him, he can collect it FOC. Similarly, and from the same source, I have a CQR copy anchor. It's not the last word in UHHP hooks, and it is not as large and heavy as some here would insist upon, but it would be useful around the Solent until he acquired a 'best bower'..... and it, too, is FOC to G'O if collected by a friend passing.

There's also a large roll of 1 metre wide chop-strand mat here which I will never use, but may be helpful in building an interior. Same story as above para.

Yes, you can!

And Practical Boat Owner might pay a pittance for an article or two. :rolleyes:

I may very well take you up on that !

Tranona

Visit site
What do you suppose half of the diesel engines fitted to boats were originally ? What were the BMC engines ? Perkins 4107/8 ? Perkins Prima ? Merc OM636 ? There are very few "marine" engines that were exclusivley developed for boat use,most are marinised versions of something or other. That said, i wouldn't want to marinise something that hadn't already been done and which part to marinise were not readily available.

Exactly - so buy one that is already marinised rather than doing it yourself. DIY would have been the route to go when the boat was new as it was almost impossible to find a high speed diesel made by a dedicated marine manufacturer so most over 30hp were marinised automotive engines. There were also thousands of base engines around (BMC, Perkins and Ford) in scrap yards for which marinising kits were readily available from firms like Lancing Marine.

This is no longer the case. Those engines have been out of production for 25 years or more and their replacements are not suitable for marinising. Plus the whole DIY boat building scene has just about disappeared. There is no need to mess about with DIY when there is a plentiful supply of both new and used engines - particularly the BMC that this boat was designed to use. Personally I would fit a Beta or Nanni 35hp as these are far superior and still in production, but appreciate the reluctance to spend that kind of money so a used or reconditioned BMC is probably the best compromise.

GregOddity

Visit site
Exactly - so buy one that is already marinised rather than doing it yourself. DIY would have been the route to go when the boat was new as it was almost impossible to find a high speed diesel made by a dedicated marine manufacturer so most over 30hp were marinised automotive engines. There were also thousands of base engines around (BMC, Perkins and Ford) in scrap yards for which marinising kits were readily available from firms like Lancing Marine.

This is no longer the case. Those engines have been out of production for 25 years or more and their replacements are not suitable for marinising. Plus the whole DIY boat building scene has just about disappeared. There is no need to mess about with DIY when there is a plentiful supply of both new and used engines - particularly the BMC that this boat was designed to use. Personally I would fit a Beta or Nanni 35hp as these are far superior and still in production, but appreciate the reluctance to spend that kind of money so a used or reconditioned BMC is probably the best compromise.
It’s exactly where we are in relation to the engine, we keep going back and forth and always seem to come back to the exact same argument.
It’s an interesting discussion. Prices asked for engines are COMPLETELY unreasonable from a technical point of view. And considering that most engines offer NOTHING in terms of a superior advancement to the auto industry. I find myself at odds with my wallet and brain. Paying over the price of a small car for a 30 HP engine does not in anyway sound like a good decision.
PLUS it’s like asking the M.A.F.I.A for a price list for a reference. “ Well we have to see ..what you need… because its so special, but we will make you an offer you cant refuse “ type of price for even a Beta.