boat mot

mick stafford

Visit site
boat mot windermere

hi all,just got my first boat a small 15ft trusty with 10hp outboard ,im hoping to go to windermere with the family i rang windermere and got the prices eg registration charges slipway charges and number charges what i need to know does my boat need a 4 year test or insurance to go on the lake
thanks all

Last edited:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
You will almost certainly need insurance - moorings management nearly always insist on it. You need a licence for the lakes (annual?) and that will be how they check that you are insured. The safety & reliability of your boat is your responsibility. It's not much fun if it breaks down or sinks, even on a lake. Inland waterways (canals & some rivers) have a regular boat safety certificate scheme (4/5 years or so I think), I don't think that applies to the lakes, but I could be wrong.

No doubt others with more detailed info will be on shortly, but google "Boating on the lakes" & I'm sure you will find all the relevant rules & fees.

VicS

Visit site
I suggest you Google for "Windermere Byelaws"

You should find all you need to know but note there are some chages to the registration that have only just come into effect.

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
No boat test needed and the e-mail the Wardens sent out about the byelaw changes copied below-

The main changes to the Windermere Registration byelaw are:
• a minimum age of 16 years for those registering a powered vessel;
• a calculator for registration fees, ensuring the fees received do not exceed the cost of operating the scheme;
• all power driven craft must register with the Windermere Registration Scheme because Small Ships Register (SSR) membership is no longer an option;
• a requirement for registered owners, in the case of an alleged offence against these byelaws, to identify the Master of the vessel to the Police or authorised person;
• an increase in the penalty to Level 2 (£500) for conviction, replacing the previous maximum of £100.
The Authority has set the annual registration fees at £20 for new registrations and £15 for renewals. These fees will be charged for 2012 and apply for the following two years. Future increases will be in line with the Consumer Price Index.

If you are currently on the SSR you now need to re-register under the Windermere Registration Scheme. In 2011 we are offering a special rate to help you make that change. If you are transferring from an existing SSR registration you will be charged a registration fee of £5 and we will give you a free set of standard registration numbers. For 2012 the revised fees of £20 and £15 will apply equally to all.

Copies of the new byelaws are available from our Lake Patrol Team, the Lake Wardens Office at Ferry Nab or our headquarters at Murley Moss. They can also be viewed or downloaded at
www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/windermereregistration

Lakesailor

Visit site
15ft boat
Technically you shouldn't launch from National Trust land if you have a motor, but plenty do at Harrowslack which is behind Belle Isle on the West side of the lake.
If the National Trust warden (not the lake warden) can be bothered he will charge £3. You don't need insurance to put a boat on the lake, but it would be silly not to have insurance. Apart from the third party risks (chopping the hand off a swimmer or damaging someone's boat) there is the cost of recovering your boat should you sink. You can't just leave it on the bottom.
You do need to register the boat because you have an engine. No engine, no registration.
If you launch at the Ferry Nab slipway you pay £10 for the launch/recovery, you pay £10 for the car & trailer parking and you will have to pay if you need the tractor. (£40 per half hour)

mick stafford

Visit site
windermere

thanks for the replies,i will be launching at ferry nab it will be my first launch very nervous but we have to start somewhere and windermere will be a beautifull place to learn i hope and the family are looking forward to it got third party insurance with public liability to 2.5m ,life jackets ,aux engine on its way looking for somewhere also to do a vhf course local collage cancelled

Last edited:

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
I wouldn't bother with the VHF course if Windermere is going to be your only location. Although the wardens monitor channel 16, the usual method is to ring them on the mobile, or 999 Coastguard outside hours.