Being a Mainship owner

mainshiptom

Visit site
This is a letter of a Mainship owner after having a vist to the factory where they make the boats :

Those of us who could not attend would possible like a narrative about how the factory tour went and good news about Mainship
Craig
Athena
'00 Mainship 390

OK Craig and others, here is my report. Others can join in and add what I missed.
Raining, of course, when we boarded bus at Day's Inn. MS went ahead and picked up the complete tab on the bus ride and me for one was glad to have a driver that knew where he was going. Long ride to factory and everyone was talking MS all the way.
When we arrived they had a tent set up outside and was planning on feeding us there however rain forced us inside. Open the large door and bus simply pulled inside out of rain. They had all the supervisors of each department dressed up in matching Columbia shirts with the Mainship logo and lined up almost at attention when we pulled inside. After intro of each person we broke up into small groups of six. We had a guide , Calvin was ours, for each group and we went through stations that covered the entire production of both 30 and 34 pilot models.
We were not rushed and highly encouraged to take pics and ask questions. If we ran out of time at a station before we moved to next we could come back later and ask more questions.
After the tour tables were set up inside with a catered buffett that was quite tasty. One worker was playing his six-string and singing Buffett and you could rub elbows with the workers and supervisors and ask all the questions that you wanted.
After loading up we departed for town in a light rain with all our tour guides lined up in the rain waving goodby as we pulled out of the parking lot.
I was impressed by several things at the factory. While I would not want to eat off the floor, the place was very clean and efficient. All the workers that I talked to were glad to be working for MS and seemed to take pride in what they were accomplishing. They moved the line every three days so you had to complete your job at that station every three days or your station would jam up the whole production schedule. They did have a "Secret Project" that was covered with shrink wrap and we could only guess what was under it. Possibly the new 34' hull? This was the only dissapointment I had, not being able to see the new 34'. Will have to wait till next year on this one.
They had a pool test tank that held two boats. Here they used a test prop to bring engines and tranny up to load speed, rained on them to check for leaks, and actually pumped smoke into cabin under pressure to look for leaks from inside out. Here they tested all systems for operation and looked for problems. They no longer move the 30-34 to St. Augustine for sea trials. Every test is done here and goes on transport and shipped to dealer.
Back at the hotel we met with Jim Kruger, CEO and discussed everything from the new 34 down through the one design 48 pilothouse that is being build for Warren Luhrs. Again with plenty of time to ask questions and have comments. BTW they plan on still having the 350/390 model in their line and adding the new 40' as well.
Sorry to carry on so long but this was a wonderful tour. As a Yacht and Small Craft Surveyor I have toured seven boat factories and by far this is the cleanest and most efficient one that I have visited. It appeared to me that these guys are really trying to send us a quality affordable yacht and as soon as I win the Lottery......A new 34 mabey?

<hr width=100% size=1>