Accessible mooring from east London?

Pontyfraq

Visit site
Hi all, I'm a reasonably experienced dinghy sailor looking to learn to sail a larger boat. I've posted elsewhere here about what might be suitable but, broadly speaking, I'm interested in gaining experience on the east coast - creaks and coastal overnight sails - but would also like to explore further afield (I a want particularly to sail to the Frisian Isles) when I've gained experience. I am planning on crewing for various friends and doing my coastal skipper soon, but in the medium term I'm thinking of getting my own boat, and am looking for a mooring. I'm based in east London and can't drive, so it would need to be accessible via public transport (& bicycle at the other end). Unfortunatly the moorings along the north shore of the Thames - at Leigh on Sea etc - which would be very accessible for my by train, don't seem very suitable for novice sailers (and the tidal access would be difficult). I had thought the blackwater, but it's pretty hard to get to by train, or the Crouch, which would be doable. But I'm now gearing towards the Medway, which I could get to in 1:30hrs, and which looks like a great place to gain confidence. Or does anyone have any potential spots I've overlooked? Cheers.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
Yeah I had thought of there - bit intimidated by diving straight in to sailing on the busy bit of the Thames, but maybe it’d be good for me? Also would I need more than a weekend to get anywhere interesting (and back) from there?

Tranona

Visit site
google.com/search?q=maurice+griffiths+books&rlz=1C1VDKB_en-GBGB1067GB1067&oq=maurice+Griffiths+books&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgAEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyCggBEAAYgAQYogQyCggCEAAYgAQYogQyCggDEAAYogQYiQUyCggEEAAYgAQYogTSAQkxMDAyM2oxajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Suggest you dip into some of these. Although nearly 100 years ago, little has changed except the proliferation of yachts and parking places. Once you get up the creeks in your Shrimper you will experience much as MG did. Trains are not quite so friendly to weekend yotties but still good .

I am biased as I have owned 2 MG designed boats since 1980 and met the great man on several occasions. Have nearly all his books, most signed. I learned to sail from Waldringfield and happy memories of the Walton backwaters, crossing the estuary to Ramsgate and the North Sea to Holland. Based in Poole since 1976 where there is shallow water, but little tide and none of the meandering creeks. Rarely dry out because the nicer places are tricky to access and only dry at springs for short periods, but lift keel boats like the Shrimper can get to places I can't with my 1.4m draft.

The more I follow your posts the more I think a Shrimper or a Cape Cutter would be a good choice to start. They are simple boats which require little maintenance and you don't want to waste your valuable time at weekends fixing things which is what many have to do if they go for the cheap old 1970s boats that many have suggested. Pay the money and get the best condition boat you can so you maximise your time afloat and sailing.

Misterbreeze

Visit site
Medway would be good for learning, base yourself anywhere between Chatham and Queenborough. I've used the train to & from Brightlingsea from Stratford (short bus ride needed as well or easy on a bike instead). Colne/Blackwater is also a good novice sailing area.

vsb

Visit site
The Stour Sailing Club at Manningtree has inexpensive drying moorings available. The station is 15 min walk away and the fast trains are 50 mins from Liverpool Street. Could be ideal.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
google.com/search?q=maurice+griffiths+books&rlz=1C1VDKB_en-GBGB1067GB1067&oq=maurice+Griffiths+books&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgAEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyCggBEAAYgAQYogQyCggCEAAYgAQYogQyCggDEAAYogQYiQUyCggEEAAYgAQYogTSAQkxMDAyM2oxajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Suggest you dip into some of these. Although nearly 100 years ago, little has changed except the proliferation of yachts and parking places. Once you get up the creeks in your Shrimper you will experience much as MG did. Trains are not quite so friendly to weekend yotties but still good .

I am biased as I have owned 2 MG designed boats since 1980 and met the great man on several occasions. Have nearly all his books, most signed. I learned to sail from Waldringfield and happy memories of the Walton backwaters, crossing the estuary to Ramsgate and the North Sea to Holland. Based in Poole since 1976 where there is shallow water, but little tide and none of the meandering creeks. Rarely dry out because the nicer places are tricky to access and only dry at springs for short periods, but lift keel boats like the Shrimper can get to places I can't with my 1.4m draft.

The more I follow your posts the more I think a Shrimper or a Cape Cutter would be a good choice to start. They are simple boats which require little maintenance and you don't want to waste your valuable time at weekends fixing things which is what many have to do if they go for the cheap old 1970s boats that many have suggested. Pay the money and get the best condition boat you can so you maximise your time afloat and sailing.
Thank you - yes, that's exactly the kind of sailing I'm interested (I've read the Magic of the Switchways: will have to get the others). Glad you endorse the shrimper plan, too!

Pontyfraq

Visit site
The Stour Sailing Club at Manningtree has inexpensive drying moorings available. The station is 15 min walk away and the fast trains are 50 mins from Liverpool Street. Could be ideal.
This is a good call - hadn't thought of going that far up, but it'd be around 1:45mins door to door, which feels doable.

xyachtdave

Visit site
You think Medway better than those rivers on the Suffolk coast mentioned above? I'll pop down!

Not better, just different. I’d be surprised if you can get a mooring that doesn’t involved a slipway, dinghy and hassle.

Realistically after you get off the train a stroll down a floating pontoon and a trot boat to take you to your mooring is probably a better option.

There’s more places to visit on your doorstep in the Orwell area, which is a plus.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
Not better, just different. I’d be surprised if you can get a mooring that doesn’t involved a slipway, dinghy and hassle.

Realistically after you get off the train a stroll down a floating pontoon and a trot boat to take you to your mooring is probably a better option.

There’s more places to visit on your doorstep in the Orwell area, which is a plus.
I see. Yes, would like to make it as simple as possible to actually get sailing! See what you mean about options from Suffolk coast, but looks like there's plenty to explore in the Medway at least for a season or two?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I moved from the Roach River to the Medway 12 years ago just so I had easy access by train from Buckinghamshire. I get the train to Gillingham Station and then walk down the hill with a big backpack to a club on The Strand. I also use a bike that I keep at our club to get supplies. Works for me.

There are also two marinas within walking distance from Gillingham Station.

Southeastern offer a weekender ticket which means you can get a cheap return starting Friday or Saturday and returning Sunday. I wish a few other rail companies would offer a weekender.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'm based in east London and can't drive,
Is it possible to learn to ride a motorbike. It would open up many horizons (& get you quick access to A & E of course
:eek: ) Just needs common sense. Not so expensive, or difficult as a car.
Even a 50cc moped will carry you 60 miles with ease, on a provisional license, so you do not need a 1000cc Honda Fireblade. I know because I had a Rayleigh Supermatic moped which I used to get to our sailing club from Grays when I was 16. (35 miles)When I got a car my 75 year old grandfather used it each month to go from Berwick to Newcastle to visit my uncle (60 miles)
From the east end of London that makes the Blackwater accessible, with cheap moorings & no tide restrictions.
Just stay off the main roads for safety.

Last edited:

xyachtdave

Visit site
I see. Yes, would like to make it as simple as possible to actually get sailing! See what you mean about options from Suffolk coast, but looks like there's plenty to explore in the Medway at least for a season or two?
Destination wise it’s a bit light but enough water to gain experience in without experiencing proper waves.

All the East Coast ports from Ramsgate to Ipswich are doable in a tide but being realistic about say this weekend, strong Northerly breeze forecast, you won’t be doing that.

In the sheltered Medway you can get out for a sail in pretty much any weather, if you were in sea port I’d be surprised if you’d bother once you look over the sea wall.

Pontyfraq

Visit site
Is it possible to learn to ride a motorbike. It would open up many horizons (& get you quick access to A & E of course
:eek: ) Just needs common sense. Not so expensive, or difficult as a car.
Even a 50cc moped will carry you 60 miles with ease, on a provisional license, so you do not need a 1000cc Honda Fireblade. I know because I had a Rayleigh Supermatic moped which I used to get to our sailing club from Grays when I was 16. (35 miles)When I got a car my 75 year old grandfather used it each month to go from Berwick to Newcastle to visit my uncle (60 miles)
From the east end of London that makes the Blackwater accessible, with cheap moorings & no tide restrictions.
Just stay off the main roads for safety.
Nice idea. A bit afraid of motorbikes but I'll consider it. I suppose the most sensible solution would just be to learn to drive, but something in me resists!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Nice idea. A bit afraid of motorbikes but I'll consider it. I suppose the most sensible solution would just be to learn to drive, but something in me resists!
Do not look upon a moped as a motorbike. More as a motorised bike. Top speed is probably about 35MPH & one can do that on a bike

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
Treat car driving lessons as the first qualification course for sailing. If you end up owning a boat a car is near essential to take tools & boat stuff around :)