Accessible mooring from east London?

GunfleetSand

Visit site
Somewhere on the internet must exist a list of times when ‘engineering’ works have been carried out on a certain line - if you find it post it here.
My experience of east London to east coast is that trains don’t run at the times required due to tides/work, I’ve seldom seen returns for better than £40 and maybe it’s a coincidence but whenever I’ve thought oh I could take the train there’s been the rail replacement add on. An all tide mooring helps.

With all that it is doable and taking the train home (someone else driving) is bliss if you’ve worn grooves the road with a lot of visits in a car and are knackered from a day or so on the water.

Folding bike has worked for me. I leave all kit on boat - when boat finally sorted after months of fettling - so that it’s just a ‘go bag’ to take and no maintenance. Leave boat ready to go each time you are done.

Having a well sorted fettled boat is essential for your plan. Pay others to do what you would need a car for.

GunfleetSand

Visit site
I think this might be the resource you're thinking of

Find details of current incidents | National Rail

As well as current disruptions it has the facility to search for planned works on a given date.
It’s good but can’t see historic works as far as I can see.
Be nice to see a spreadsheet of trains out of a station to see who have the most delays or works - arguably those with the most works should need the least going forward!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
In terms of rail replacement one of the reasons I like the trains to Medway is that from London you generally have a choice of routes. Last Saturday I went down and there were works on what I call the Dartford route so from London Bridge I caught a train direct to Swanley and then a train to Gillingham that stopped at all stations. I came back yesteday (Thursday) when there were no rail replacement buses and took the Thameslink which dropped me off at Farringdon going through Dartford and Greenwich.

Rail replacement can be a problem when they are working on the line between Strood and Rainham or between Meophan and Gillingham. Every weekend for a while they were working on Rochester Bridge which was very inconvenient. Otherwise often you can get around it. Teh constant rail strikes over the last year or so have been a greater problem and severely interfered with what days I travel or forced me to use the car and I hate the M25 and its stop start traffic.

I'm surprised at Oldgits pricing schedule. Without trying to duplicate it I find I pay an extra 10p for a return when I leave Friday and come back Sunday. But I do tend to book a few days in advance using one fo the apps that promise significant savings.

SOTM

Visit site
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Gravesend Sailing Club.
Good sailing and friendly members.
Easy access from London by train, Stratford by HS1 is 20 mins.
Deep water swinging moorings available.
Look at their website.

Groucho

Visit site
Planned R
Somewhere on the internet must exist a list of times when ‘engineering’ works have been carried out on a certain line - if you find it post it here.
My experience of east London to east coast is that trains don’t run at the times required due to tides/work, I’ve seldom seen returns for better than £40 and maybe it’s a coincidence but whenever I’ve thought oh I could take the train there’s been the rail replacement add on. An all tide mooring helps.

With all that it is doable and taking the train home (someone else driving) is bliss if you’ve worn grooves the road with a lot of visits in a car and are knackered from a day or so on the water.

Folding bike has worked for me. I leave all kit on boat - when boat finally sorted after months of fettling - so that it’s just a ‘go bag’ to take and no maintenance. Leave boat ready to go each time you are done.

Having a well sorted fettled boat is essential for your plan. Pay others to do what you would need a car for.
Planned Rail engineering works are listed here: Find details of current incidents | National Rail
That is, if they go to plan.