That large capsized motoryacht at Burnham?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I spent a happy afternoon slapping paint on the now definitely upright and definitely floating “Llys Helig” today. Very agreeable crowd.

View attachment 99116

Interesting you say "definitely floating".

In one of the videos the man in charge of the operation pointed out that some large openings have been put in the hull specifically to stop it from floating.

Presumably this is so it does not fall over again.

As suggested previously it wants the excess non original steel work cutting off for scrap then the hull itself can be transported by a jack up barge and tugs to the shipyard for the rebuilding operation.

And I assume Chatham dockyard has higher standards than the high street..

This video

ETA looking at the date perhaps it has been since refloated with the 3/4 inch ply solution. If you can get 3/4 inch ply. Quite risky to float the boat if it is still top heavy .

One has to wonder how the MCA would view this type of repair. Yes it's okay to float the boat but would it be allowed for crossing shipping lanes?

I've no idea.

Last edited:

LlysHelig

Visit site
From the technical drawing, the engines look a bit like large semi diesels. I know there are a pair of Gleniffers in there at the moment but not original.
Her original 4 cylinder diesel engines had been replaced with 5 cylinder Gardners in 1929 and in 1961 these were updated with more modern 8 cylinder Glennifer units.

LlysHelig

Visit site
Interesting you say "definitely floating".

In one of the videos the man in charge of the operation pointed out that some large openings have been put in the hull specifically to stop it from floating.

Presumably this is so it does not fall over again.

As suggested previously it wants the excess non original steel work cutting off for scrap then the hull itself can be transported by a jack up barge and tugs to the shipyard for the rebuilding operation.

And I assume Chatham dockyard has higher standards than the high street..

This video

ETA looking at the date perhaps it has been since refloated with the 3/4 inch ply solution. If you can get 3/4 inch ply. Quite risky to float the boat if it is still top heavy .

One has to wonder how the MCA would view this type of repair. Yes it's okay to float the boat but would it be allowed for crossing shipping lanes?

I've no idea.
She’s now fully patched with temporary patches. There’s still one leak at the stern which means the pump has to run for about 10 minutes a day.
The plan now is to do some of the structural beams and metal patches in situ in Burnham over the winter. The risk of towing into the sea was just too great in her current state.
In the spring she’ll be in better shape for the journey and there’ll be less to do patch wise.

she floats very well now. So we’ll in fact that the gangplank broke in the 5m tide.

06C96686-2559-4494-B698-FF96A1A5B7E5.jpeg