So what's the worse thing you have dropped and where did you drop it ?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Not me, but a friend in the same marina, he had an AWB made by a company who started casting their own keels, out for a day sail and a snorkel, noticed that his keel bulb was missing, back into port and lifted ASAP! He walked round to his berth to pick up his gang plank and there it was at the bottom of his berth.

fisherman

Visit site
A fart. GF mother was going to lift a laundry basket, "Here, allow me" I stepped in front of her, she straightened up, I bent down, and half way....well it wasn't what Bob Mortimer calls 'a little tommy squeaker', somewhat more fiull blown. I think it went straight up her nose.

She already made up her mind she didn't like me.

Refueler

Visit site
Can you order online?
You can here.

I spoke to manager of local Lidl and he told me that each store over here - the manager makes the decision to do specials or not. It is not a company instruction. It also depends on the profit margins whether he does.

Order online ? Order from where ? By time shipping to Latvia is paid - what is advantage ??

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I spoke to manager of local Lidl and he told me that each store over here - the manager makes the decision to do specials or not. It is not a company instruction. It also depends on the profit margins whether he does.

Order online ? Order from where ? By time shipping to Latvia is paid - what is advantage ??

In France (lidl.fr) and Germany (lidl.de) and many other countries you can order online and get it delivered.
However, from lidl.fr you can only deliver to France. From lidl.de you can only deliver to Germany.

From Latvia (lidl.lv) you cannot order online.

Sorry, you are screwed.

Workaround - order in another country and get it delivered to a friend (or even to a "locker"), and go and pick it up.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Not exactly "dropped", but anyway: I once removed the mainsail to do some repairs, full batten and all it's quite heavy maybe 40-50kg, I rolled and left it on the concrete quay beside the boat. Gale during the night, the following morning the sail had disappeared. Who might want to steal a broken mainsail? At low water we saw a whitish hue on the sea bottom under the boat, there it was, we fished it with a small grapnel and brought it up little by little.

Refueler

Visit site
Rolex watch, Portland Hbr. Luckily I still had the receipt, and my Insurance paid up. Not replaced though. dooooooooo.

I have a Rolex that stays in the draw .... bought it years ago when my eyes were better ... but it having gold face - gold hands etc - I literally cannot read the damn thing when outside on a sunny day ...
My fav watch is one my Father gave me when I was 10yrs old ... Seiko Sportsmatic slimline ... beautiful watch but sadly its become innacurate and requires regulating ...
I now have a Casio WR Divers watch ... same as Bill Gates wears .... so the reports go .. easy to read .. never misses a beat ..

I have Seiko .. Citizen .. Tissot ... all sorts of watches in the draw - but that Casio just keeps on going ..

But back to lost ...

I lost overboard many years ago a Casio G Yacht Racing watch ... it had the 3 and 10 minute alarms on it etc. The silicon strap broke when caught on a furler ...

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
I have 6 sets of Allen keys, all with 5mm missing dotted around the berth 6m down.
Entire acrylic companion board. In slow motion it slipped down the coach roof, through the bottom of the sprayhood, bounced once at the toe rail and disappeared gracefully to the bottom in soft mud.
Many others but worst was Mrs. K.
Was having intermittent trouble with reverse engaging. Approached lock pontoon , she was standing bottom of fender step ready to alight. Put into astern, nothing happened
Approaching a little fast, tried some extra wellie. Drive caught just as she stepped onto the pontoon, now 2ft away. Looked as though she meant it. Swam gracefully with lifejacket inflated to stern, accompanied by applause from onlookers.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
My brand new top of the range headtorch :( My dinghy that was being towed caught a mooring buoy at around 1am on my own, foolishly I left the wheels down. As I pulled on the rope leaning over the boat to try and get the mooring rope untangled from the dinghy wheels I couldn't hold the boat any longer due to the power of the rushing tide. The rope went tight over my head and pulled the torch into the water I then had to watch the torch sink still glowing bright until it disappeared into the depths of the Menai straits.

William_H

Visit site
For those who have lost a watch while sailing. I have a klittle neoprene elastic watch cover from Ronstan I think. A band about 50mm wide around wrist with a hole just big enough to see the dial through. Protects the strap from getting caught. Those little spring loaded shafts that attach the body to the strap have very little strength. I have since made similar strap protectors from fabric with velcro to attach tightly around watch. Haven't lost a watch since using them.
Further update on losing things overboard. Last Thusday Anzac day novelty race. Took 2 liitle boys with their fathers on the race. Both sitting on bow. Both wearing buoyancy vests. One (not my grandy) seemed over confident with his balance. Standing up despite being told to sit down. Yes the inevitable happened and in a lurch he went over the side. While we were doing about 5 knots down wind with spinnaker up. Heart sank. I was on the helm. Mind went to get spin down, turn around and pick him up. Amazingly my Crew Brendan sitting on the side he went over just leaned out and grabbed his hand as we went past. Despite slip stream he got him back into cockpit. Nice to have a low freeboard yacht. Wet and a bit chastened. Could have been more scary. ol'will
PS came second in the race by about 3 metres and 3 seconds.

Last edited:

westernman

www.devalk.nl
For those who have lost a watch while sailing. I have a klittle neoprene elastic watch cover from Ronstan I think. A band about 50mm wide around wrist with a hole just big enough to see the dial through. Protects the strap from getting caught. Those little spring loaded shafts that attach the body to the strap have very little strength. I have since made similar strap protectors from fabric with velcro to attach tightly around watch. Haven't lost a watch since using them.

I buy my Rolex's in Bangkok. I don't feel the need to invest in expensive bits of plastic to protect them......