White ensign on a "ordinary" yacht

johnalison

Visit site
I used to crew for a vice-commodore of the RYS and I'm sure we flew the Red Ensign. It was only used though on the few occasions when we had to retire from a race. Maybe the White would have been inappropriate when used for that purpose?
Maybe the requirement to hoist the burgee as well made it more trouble than the time made worthwhile.

creeks

Visit site
I used to crew for a vice-commodore of the RYS and I'm sure we flew the Red Ensign. It was only used though on the few occasions when we had to retire from a race. Maybe the White would have been inappropriate when used for that purpose?
Maybe the requirement to hoist the burgee as well made it more trouble than the time made worthwhile.
It was purely a racing yacht so the only other possible occasions would have been pre-start and post-finish, both usually quite close to the mooring.
I do remember once asking in my ignorance why we didn't fly a Blue Ensign, as a "Royal" yacht club. One of many faux pas on my part.:mad: (i.e. the suggestion that the RYS was just any old "Royal" yacht club)

Last edited:

Slowboat35

Visit site
There are, it seems, possibly two clubs with flaggery deemed more exclusive even than the Royal Yacht Squadron itself.

The first is the Tot Club of Antigua and Barbuda, a rum-based organisation that does charitable work (apparently while permanently sozzled) in the area, membership of which entitles you to fly the only warranted White Ensign based burgee in existence.
Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 15.20.47.png
Royal Naval Tot Club of Antigua & Barbuda

The second may or may not be mythical, I've found nothing about it on t'internet but have often heard tell of it, is the infamous Blackball Club, without doubt the most exclusive yacht club on earth if it actually exists. Membership is only open to those who have been blackballed from membership of the RYS which must be a very rare event indeed.
Their flag is again a burgee, the RYS one defaced with a black ball.

Apparently sight of either of these admirable instititions' burgees is guaranteed to reduce any RYS member to incoherent fury.
Sounds like fun to me, but I'm unlikely ever to sail to Antigua and there's no chance I'd get proposed, let alone seconded for the RYS. Still, if I did I might stand a fighting chance of being blackballed...

Let the furriners here make of that what they will!

johnalison

Visit site
By the age of 21 I had sailed around the world several times under the red ensign and I have never since had any desire to fly a different coloured one.
I am against uniformity in any guise. I have only sailed under the red ensign, except as a guest on others’ boats, but the sight of assorted reds, blues and whites, and their defaced cousins is to my eyes another way of adding interest to the boating scene, which has the addition merit of confusing foreigners no end. Many Swedes thought we must have been Australian or NZ or something, and a German coast watch policeman was puzzled that we didn’t wear white, like the navy.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I am against uniformity in any guise. I have only sailed under the red ensign, except as a guest on others’ boats, but the sight of assorted reds, blues and whites, and their defaced cousins is to my eyes another way of adding interest to the boating scene, which has the addition merit of confusing foreigners no end. Many Swedes thought we must have been Australian or NZ or something, and a German coast watch policeman was puzzled that we didn’t wear white, like the navy.
I do have a selection of flags that I can fly from the crosstrees to interest onlookers-----The obligatory skull and crossbones and one that says Im with the Woolwich for starters but the 2nd substitute always takes the biscuit for confusing everyone.

Goldie

Visit site
it's unfortunately becoming more and more common to see the White Ensign and the RAF Ensign View attachment 141986
being flown on Broads Hire boats.
Only once have I seen the RAF ensign being flown correctly on the Broads as IIRC a retired Air Commodore (or above) can fly the Ensign.. and there was one for a while on the broads..

Both the white and RAF are often being flown by junior ranks , with a large amount of alcohol involved..

I find it a shame you can buy these ensigns on Ebay when they mean so much more to many...

Are you sure that it’s the RAF ensign that you’re seeing around, and not the RAF Sailing Association ensign? The latter (shown here) can be flown by any RAFSA member holding the warrant - no rank restrictions AFAIK. Are you assuming that the culprits are Junior Ranks?

I’m not aware of ret’d personnel of any rank being entitled to fly the RAF ensign on private craft.

As you say though, anyone can buy either online, sadly.

Attachments

• 7C0754C9-13C2-4955-80E4-D3FA76BB3FE5.png
    7C0754C9-13C2-4955-80E4-D3FA76BB3FE5.png
    5 KB · Views: 1

creeks

Visit site
I do have a selection of flags that I can fly from the crosstrees to interest onlookers-----The obligatory skull and crossbones and one that says Im with the Woolwich for starters but the 2nd substitute always takes the biscuit for confusing everyone.
To be really trendy I hope you've got a smiley in your selection:
88DA69A4-4523-4186-B50E-FCFDDB1A3CE0-min.jpeg

Last edited:

Walther

Visit site
I wonder if there are any other countries with this entertaining multiplicity of of flags which might possibly be worn on their yachts?
Indeed there are some.

Members of the YCF are entitled to a special ensign.

fr~ycf.gif

YCI members apparently have the distinction of flying the Bandiera della Marina Militare.

Marina-Militare.gif

And many Irish clubs enjoy unique ensigns. Below are a few examples (of many).

RIYC:

640px-Ensign_of_Royal_Irish_YC.svg.png

RCYC:

1200px-Ensign_of_Royal_Cork_YC.svg.png

NYC:

800px-National_Yacht_Club_Ensign_(Ireland).svg.png

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I wonder if there are any other countries with this entertaining multiplicity of of flags which might possibly be worn on their yachts?
Well, Australia shares the red duster concept. Our maritime flag replaces the blue background with red.
Don't think NZ is the same - it might make the red stars a little difficult to see!
Mind you, it appears that either there is some confusion or maybe we are just a little more relaxed about this - I am in Albania with 2 AU neighbours both flying the non maritime flags. The NZ boat has been more creative and is flying one of the "alternative" flags presented (and rejected) in a recent referendum.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Referring to your comment about our entertaining multiplicity. Other countries, most do not have our maritime heritage. So I doubt its widespread.
I would agree that most other countries confine themselves to one flag for all purposes, but I wouldn't discount the maritime heritage of some, such as the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, France etc.
(Lights blue touch paper and retires?)

SimonKNZ

Visit site
Well, Australia shares the red duster concept. Our maritime flag replaces the blue background with red.
Don't think NZ is the same - it might make the red stars a little difficult to see!
Mind you, it appears that either there is some confusion or maybe we are just a little more relaxed about this - I am in Albania with 2 AU neighbours both flying the non maritime flags. The NZ boat has been more creative and is flying one of the "alternative" flags presented (and rejected) in a recent referendum.
NZ Red Ensign has white stars and is the one you're supposed to fly if you're a non-registered yacht

Frogmogman

Visit site
The Royal Irish YC in Dun Laoghaire used to fly this version of the white ensign, which was replaced by the version underneath post partition. AIUI, British members of the Royal Irish may still fly the original version.
40060A9E-0EA6-41D1-A0D4-262DEC88EEC4.jpeg

8576C92B-4EC8-4A54-8268-A87B294E0D9B.jpeg
We have an old Irish green ensign from pre partition that came off the boat of one of my forebears
96E7E150-4CEC-4A2E-BD5F-F0FDAD1E1223.jpeg