Which First Boat -For River/Canal Cruising

Dannyc

Visit site
Hi all

Newbie here so please go easy on me.

I’m looking to purchase my first boat. I’ve found numerous similarly titled threads on here, but none seem to match my criteria.

I’m thinking something used, 20 - 24 ft, easy to helm, and suitable for a weekend to a few days away. It would need to be 4 berth and would be purely for river and canal cruising, so no coastal blasts. A shower and toilet would be a must. I live on a marina and have my own mooring, so there are no concerns about mooring or trailer weights etc. I’d be on the Fossdyke, Witham, and (once a little more experienced) the Trent. A key point is that the boat would need to fit through the glory hole at Lincoln. Price anywhere between £10-25k

I’ve been trying to swat up on what may or may not fit the bill, but I’m torn by some of the advice I’ve found. Looking to just cruise along the rivers and canals at low speeds, plus being a novice, I’ve seen advice to avoid big engined stern drives like the plague. Which is a shame because I do love the modern look and interiors of many of them (Sealine, Searay, Rinker etc). Then there’re the more traditional styled boats (Shetland, Viking etc style) which again may be just the job, but I would want a young one, or one that had already been modernised/refitted as I’m really not to keen on interiors full of lots of dark wood.

Obviously many of the traditionally styled boats have an outboard, so again further conflict as I was also advised to go for an inboard, shaft, rudder.

I know the propulsion question opens a perpetual can of worms, but I’m very interested in your thoughts specific to my requirements.

Many thanks

harvey38

Visit site
I'd go for a shaft drive with a keel, an outboard or outdrive will wander all over the river and make a journey tiresome. You mention canals, that limits your choice no end as the majority of them are very narrow, I think that would limit your beam to 6' 7", I don't know the dimensions of the Glory Hole🙈

A four berth 20-24' will be very cramped unless all berths will only be used occasionally, with the perpetual need for more things requiring charging, available battery capacity also becomes more of an issue.

Diesel is more readily available on waterways although we had two petrol boats with 1000cc engines and very frugal on fuel so a week + chugging up the Thames wasn't an issue.

I would check the dimensions of your cruising ground and spend a few hours checking out boats for sale on the Internet then spend a day or two looking at boats that fit your requirements.

Good luck, keep, us posted and remember that every boat is a compromise.

Whaup367

Visit site
You don't mention your experience.

I'd recommend hiring a few times and trying different boats, talking to other owners and looking at where you might want to visit in the medium term to get an idea of what dimensions would constrain you. Narrowboats are an unusual design for very good reasons.

Dannyc

Visit site
Many thanks for your responses.

I would usually be travelling solo, but would like the facility to occasionally have guests (brother, a couple of friends) hence the 4 berth requirement in the wish list.

Regarding experience, I’m very much a novice. I’ve hired small day boats on a couple of occasions, travelling up and down the Fossdyke, but I don't have access to anywhere hiring out a range of different boat styles.

Alicatt

Visit site
My boat is a canal/river boat, a Placom 750, she is 7.5m (24.6ft) x 2.5m (8.2ft) and allegedly can sleep up to 4 in the cabin, with a double berth in the bow and a dining table that goes down to provide another double berth, I'm 1.74m tall (or short...) and they are just long enough for me, my wife is 1.68m and she finds them cramped, she loves everything else about our boat but the beds, the bow feels claustrophobic to her and the dining table too narrow and short. Mind you a previous owner was 2m tall and he did extensive trips on the boat sleeping on board.

The boat has an inboard 2 cylinder diesel Volvo Penta MD7A 13hp with a S110 saildrive, she uses about .5litres per hour at 8km/h and at full throttle about 2litres per hour @ 11km/h boat and engine are 45years old now. She has a short keel that protects the saildrive and gives a mounting point for the bottom of the rudder, helpful when you get too close to the edge of the canal where it can get very shallow.
RSMR6512.JPGIMG_9509SM.jpgIMG_9519SM.jpgIMG_9511SM.jpg
IMG_9520SM.jpgTXTT5332.JPGYCIM0560.JPGBXSS4424.JPG

She is called Casper
IMG_9502SM.jpg
Gives you something to look at when in the heads ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9502SM.jpg
    IMG_9502SM.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 8

Dannyc

Visit site
Also just to add, I’m not looking to travel the narrowest canal stretches, only those around Lincoln and the River Trent to Nottingham.

Dannyc

Visit site
I’m sure you have already had a look around Burton Waters marina but book a slot and have a chat to the guys there. I recently used them to sell my S37 and really liked them.
Ask to try out this and see how you get on handling it
Sea Ray 215 Express Cruiser 8518204 – Burton Waters Boat Sales
Yes I’m regularly scanning what they have in, but will arrange to have a chat with them.

Regarding the Sea Ray, to avoid wasting their time I would prefer to test something that I may ultimately consider buying. With this being a 2-berth cuddy it wouldn’t fit the bill, but I understand your point of trying something for handling purposes.

Dannyc

Visit site
Well I’ve spent another weekend studying what’s available and discovering what I do and don’t like. Boats with an internal engine and shaft (that tick all the other boxes in the wish list) seem to be pretty scarce. The vast majority on offer are outboards or stern drives.

At the moment it’s looking like I’ll be going down the Shetland, Viking type with outboard route. Of course that could all change tomorrow! 😂

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I’ve been looking at these online along with Vikings etc and they’re obviously very popular as there are plenty about. Again, the fact that they have outboards mustn’t be too detrimental. 🤔

I just looked at two Sheltands .. one with a 50HP outboard ... other modified - fitted with inboard OMC and outdrive. The outboard version was the far better choice - that inboard created a box that destroyed the cockpit space.
I didn't buy either - I bought another boat seller had. But I have to say - I do like the Shetlands.

The factors that I think are going to make hard to find the boat - getting all in one :
1. 20 - 24ft
2. 4 berth
3. Shower
4. Loo

I realise that waterways boats often are designed differently to estuary / seagoing .. so hopefully OP can find what he wants.

I am surprised by some comments about outboards .. personally I would prefer outboard on a smallish boat of such size .. easy to service .. a 4 stroker is economical ... leaves volume in boat for lockers - greater space in cockpit etc. Less holes through hull underwater ...

colhel

Visit site
Hi all

. A key point is that the boat would need to fit through the glory hole at Lincoln. Price anywhere between .

Many thanks
I tried googling this but got distracted for a few hours....
It's been suggested further up, have you considered a narrow boat? Shaft drive, keel cooling so much less risk of overheating due to blockages and good accommodation for size.

Dannyc

Visit site
I tried googling this but got distracted for a few hours....
It's been suggested further up, have you considered a narrow boat? Shaft drive, keel cooling so much less risk of overheating due to blockages and good accommodation for size.

That made me chuckle 😂.

I have briefly thought about narrow boats, but I don’t think they’re quite for me, for now at least.