Which 26-30 ft Cruiser for Scotland

roblpm

Visit site
I have a Hanse 301. It’s a great fast inshore cruiser and will give a lot of pure sailing pleasure. but if you really intend to go to St Kilda it is not the best boat for that. It is light and has to be actively sailed. Like other boats of the sort it is also very capable of spooking beginners/wives/kids in unexpectedly rising weather. However in light winds not much will outsail it. So it much depends on what you are really going to do vs what you would want to do on a bucket list.

I also think you might struggle to get any of the 291-300 derivatives for 15k. Perhaps a boat in very basic fit out or with work needed. I know 301s in decent updated condition are being bought for closer to 25k at the moment (admittedly on the south coast).

Thanks for that. I think I need something in between the hanse and the old heavy boats. My parker was very light and flighty. I need something slightly heavier but not super slow!

roblpm

Visit site
Forget all the enthusiasts for their favourite makes and models, buy the best individual boat you can afford. It's not like buying a Fiesta or a Polo, you can only buy what's on the market when you're looking, and the condition and inventory will vary from one to the next. So buy the best thing that meets your needs.
Yes. This is the way forward. Shortlist. And then clean and new engine!

Concerto

Visit site
Being a Fulmar owner I can certainly agree with this suggestion. The Westerly Merlin at 28ft might be worth considering as the same design generation as the Fulmar. The Westerly Tempest is 31ft and has a large toilet compartment in the forepeak.

A slightly older design that would fit would be the Nicholson 30, not the 303 Silver Jubilee. My parents had a new one, hull number 6, which we raced heavily. I forget the number of times we put her on the plane, something you would not expect from a boat of this age. Meets your toilet requirements. The cockpit is extremely safe and having a transom hung rudder , easy to have an auto pilot.

Poey50

Visit site
It's a buyer's market for Sadler 32s at the moment. Many seem to be for sale and prices are dropping. Great boats too, although I am totally biased

Concerto

Visit site
OK. Fulmar is going to get some research! Just feels a bit grown up for me! ? (I am 51....)
I have been renovating Concerto over the past 6 years to close to new standard. I sail Concerto singlehanded most of the time, including the spinnaker. As a youngster you will have no problems sailing a Fulmar, I am 66. They behave brilliantly under sail and power, have an easily handled ¾ rig meaning the headsail is smaller than a 30 footer. I have a fin keel, but bilge keel versions are popular and even 6 lift keel versions were built.

There is plenty of information on the Westerly Wiki. Fulmar - Westerly-Wiki On this page is a link to the presentation I gave to the RYA, it is worth looking at. For my sins I am a BoatLine member for the Fulmar, so I am happy to answer questions and give advice on boats currently available you are considering.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I would certainly add the Fulmar to your list. I have a Westerly Ocean 33, which was it's replacement, also designed by Ed Dubois, they're great boats, many would argue the best that Westerly ever built.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yes I have thought of a Fulmar. Just seems a bit big! This is supposed to be a low budget project for five years and bigger boats mean everything costs more! Yes hanse is great. The only concern is its very light! I suppose you have a larger one?
311 -- But probably outof your budget. Will take you most places that you propose going.

Visit site
sadler 29 well able. westerly fulmar if you can live with the headlining. sadler 32 if you can find one for the money. I don't think once you get on it and sail the fulmar or something of 32 feet will be materially bigger or more expenisve than a 29 unless you are in an expensive marina berth. Don't discount the older boats who will have a more conservative design and may well have a nicer ride in a seaway - for example if you found a nice Nic 32 then it's not the roomiest but it'll love the weather you have

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Thanks for that. I think I need something in between the hanse and the old heavy boats. My parker was very light and flighty. I need something slightly heavier but not super slow!
I’d suggest you look at a late-90s Jeanneau Sun Oddysey 29.2. You might have to stretch the budget a bit but friends bought one a few years ago for about 20k. It’s a modern boat and sails like one, not as tippy as the Hanse (or as quick) but acceptable cruising performance and I guess you could have a crack at club racing. The accommodation is much more suited to partner and guests than older boats. The one I knew was a lift keel, assume there are fin versions. Example here: 1998 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 29.2 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale

IAmCharlieC

Visit site
Obviously Twister 28. If looking for inspiration - many good articles around about Twisters cruising the Scottish coastline, and further afield from Scotland [Ireland, Norway and so on] for when bigger adventures beckon. They look good, sail brilliantly, and are super comfortable down below [if a little old fashioned].

But them maybe I am biased...

doug748

Visit site
I think a First 29 meets your spec well. With a modestly sized furling genoa , it would perform well and be easy to live with. Aft cabin and heads are nice if you intend to do some romantic entertaining.
In the final analysis, better to find a compromise bargain, rather than seeking the perfect boat, 500 miles away, which may need work.
Esp as you only intend to have it a few years.

fredrussell

Visit site
I’d agree with suggestions of Hanse or Ben First of 30ft length or so. They won’t feel sluggish after OP’s Parker 275, and aft cabin means you can ‘get jiggy wid it’ without the passion killer of lying two foot from the heads. Always fancied a Fulmar but too much fiddly wood on deck to varnish for my liking.

roblpm

Visit site
I’d agree with suggestions of Hanse or Ben First of 30ft length or so. They won’t feel sluggish after OP’s Parker 275, and aft cabin means you can ‘get jiggy wid it’ without the passion killer of lying two foot from the heads. Always fancied a Fulmar but too much fiddly wood on deck to varnish for my liking.

I love the fact that some of you are worrying about the passion...... it's an important factor!

Also my Dad built an Eventide. Long story but he ended up with another one. Spent more time varnishing than sailing. Exterior wood is a bad thing in my books....