Where do you keep your anchor ball?

Paulfireblade

Visit site
Hardly an exhaustive list but all the sail boats I have been on whether owned, school or charter the anchor ball is in a cockpit locker (normally under or tangled up with something.)

I was watching a program on Super yachts and one of the deck crew went down in to the anchor locker (or is that room) and I noticed tied to the inside of the hatch was the anchor ball.

Seemed like a good idea and I have moved mine to the anchor locker so I will be able to grab it easily and it will act as a reminder to put it up when anchoring (my memory is not as good as it used to be.)

Seems like a win win to me, so why doesn’t everyone put their anchor ball in there?

Boathook

Visit site
Mines in a cockpit locker on top of the spare sheets, etc. It's a flat pack type and the 2 parts require slotting together for use. I'm presently 'rejigging' my chain locker so might move it there. The 'ball' has a clip to hang the anchor light that is in a locker down below. It can stay there until required for use as it is electrical !

Leighb

Visit site
Not hav0
Hardly an exhaustive list but all the sail boats I have been on whether owned, school or charter the anchor ball is in a cockpit locker (normally under or tangled up with something.)

I was watching a program on Super yachts and one of the deck crew went down in to the anchor locker (or is that room) and I noticed tied to the inside of the hatch was the anchor ball.

Seemed like a good idea and I have moved mine to the anchor locker so I will be able to grab it easily and it will act as a reminder to put it up when anchoring (my memory is not as good as it used to be.)

Seems like a win win to me, so why doesn’t everyone put their anchor ball in there?
not having an anchor locker could be a reason? ?
our Halmatic did not, we kept the anchor ball and the light in the locker under the chart table where they were easily reached.
The Storebro did have a locker, but it was tiny, no room for any anchor of use, and the anchor ball was kept in the lazarette. Not that easy anyway to display on a motor boat with no mast!

Neeves

Visit site
The only vessels I see using an anchor ball are large commercial vessels. They, the ball, are a complete waste of time. You see the vessel long before you see the ball. As you approach the vessel you can see the anchor chain and ascertain the vessel is not moving - when you get close enough to read the vessel name (and you are possibly too close,). you see the ball.

I have never seen an anchor ball raised on a leisure vessel (of the vessel size we use) in an anchorage in Australia nor Hong Kong. I have never heard of a prosecution of an owner for not displaying a ball - but have heard questions raised over not displaying an anchor light. It is possible those origami radar reflectors could be mistaken for an anchor ball.

We do not carry an anchor ball - but we do have a big round, ball fender and a polystyrene buoy we use for our crab pot (in case the anchor ball police come on an inspection). There are more important devices than an anchor ball - a radio licences comes to mind - and no-one checks them either (ours are in the chart table - vessel licence and operator licence).

Jonathan

Stemar

Visit site
They're used regularly here in lake Solent, unlike the motorsailing cone, which is now interpreted to mean RYA examiner on board. Mine lives on a shelf in the saloon, as that's the most convenient spot. If I had an anchor locker big enough to call a room, I'm not sure I'd want to need to access it around anchor laying or retrieving time. Sooner or later, chain is going to be dumped on my head or let out with a loop round my ankle.

Neeves

Visit site
They're used regularly here in lake Solent,

I'm impressed, very - what a lot of law abiding, conformist lot you are. I would never have thought it (that you would so commonly display an anchor ball). Do you also dip your ensigns when a big grey boat goes past?

There was me thinking you were out there enjoying the absence of rules, sailing free as birds (is that a contradiction) - illusions destroyed :(

Jonathan

[2574]

Visit site
The only vessels I see using an anchor ball are large commercial vessels. They, the ball, are a complete waste of time. You see the vessel long before you see the ball. As you approach the vessel you can see the anchor chain and ascertain the vessel is not moving - when you get close enough to read the vessel name (and you are possibly too close,). you see the ball.

I have never seen an anchor ball raised on a leisure vessel (of the vessel size we use) in an anchorage in Australia nor Hong Kong. I have never heard of a prosecution of an owner for not displaying a ball - but have heard questions raised over not displaying an anchor light. It is possible those origami radar reflectors could be mistaken for an anchor ball.

We do not carry an anchor ball - but we do have a big round, ball fender and a polystyrene buoy we use for our crab pot (in case the anchor ball police come on an inspection). There are more important devices than an anchor ball - a radio licences comes to mind - and no-one checks them either (ours are in the chart table - vessel licence and operator licence).

Jonathan
Disagree Jonathan. We always hoist an anchor ball. It’s ColRegs. Were you to be hit by another vessel the offending party could claim that he saw no anchor ball therefore assumed your boat was underway and that therefore you were the give way vessel. Nonsense? Yes of course it is but that wouldn’t stop the defendant’s lawyer making that argument in Court. Display an anchor ball.

p.s…..mine’s in the anchor locker.

Boathook

Visit site

Jonathan
Used a lot along the South coast. Can't really say the same about anchor lights imho!

R.Ems

Visit site
I'm impressed, very - what a lot of law abiding, conformist lot you are. I would never have thought it (that you would so commonly display an anchor ball). Do you also dip your ensigns when a big grey boat goes past?

There was me thinking you were out there enjoying the absence of rules, sailing free as birds (is that a contradiction) - illusions destroyed :(

Jonathan
Good luck with that attitude in Germany; we were motorsailing along the coast, and a large grey customs cutter came right alongside.
The foredeck hand, (who resembled an SS Stormtrooper including machine-gun) was barking orders through a megaphone..because we didn't have a motoring cone.. once I promised to hoist one, they stooged off at 30 knots.

noelex

Visit site
We drop ours in the tender (when it is carried on the davits). We dont use the tender when on passage so the ball is not in the way and if we ever forget to deploy the ball it is at least obvious when we launch the tender. However, we almost never use moorings prefering the security of own ground tackle so this may not suit everone.

We use a standard plastic “ball” but a radar reflector painted black or round black fender would be more versatile. Its nice, where possible, if everything on a yacht has multiple purposes.

mikegunn

Visit site

Jonathan
I keep mine in the anchor locker, mounted on purpose made chocks. The first item to be deployed once the anchor has been proven to hold.
The marine regulations have evolved over many, many years and have proven to be generally effective in preventing collisions at sea. When you are sailing your boat I am sure that you find it essential to determine the command status of all boats that may affect your progress. If one comes across another vessel which, during daylight hours does not exhibit any hoisted signals, it is a very reasonable assumption that that vessel is under command. In other words it will be operating a watch system and will be able to apply the collision regs in respect of any other vessel within its sphere of influence. Taking avoiding action should it be necessary. If one comes across a vessel displaying an anchor ball, which can be seen when approaching from any direction, an assumption can be made that the vessel is not under command. That then puts the responsibility for avoiding a collision firmly with the master of the approaching vessel. Personally, i always find it very difficult to determine beyond doubt whether or not a vessel is anchored. An anchor ball removes that doubt.

Mike

johnalison

Visit site
I'm sure it's around somewhere. Regulations are fine, and I would be the last to deny them, but there some local established anchorages where the display of a ball serves no real purpose, being out of the way of any channel used for passage, though an anchor light would make sense at night. At these sites the use of anchor balls varies, but the yachts without balls (is there a word for that?) present no hazard to anyone.

R.Ems

Visit site
I'm sure it's around somewhere. Regulations are fine, and I would be the last to deny them, but there some local established anchorages where the display of a ball serves no real purpose, being out of the way of any channel used for passage, though an anchor light would make sense at night. At these sites the use of anchor balls varies, but the yachts without balls (is there a word for that?) present no hazard to anyone.
Yes, to be fair you don't see many anchor balls hoisted in Cawsand Bay for example.

capnsensible

Visit site
I've always used an anchor ball.....why on earth not? Its there for a purpose. For me, not rigging it is simply lazy.

The anchor locker is the perfect stowage place in my opinion.

Please do not the the wrong impression......I do this stuff for a living so can't see why I wouldn't comply with an International Rule. I'm not bothered one jot if others.....can't be bothered.

Our good old friend the motor sailing cone has its place in busy waters. But rarely seen and there is probably a good case to get it binned from IRPCs.

Top tip, Yactmaster Candidates,make sure you have rigged both before your exam and know where they have been stowed after practice!