Where do you keep your anchor ball?

CapPugwash

Visit site
I can't remember that last time I saw one up (West Coast of Scotland). I've only used mine a few times, when I have been anchored somewhere silly for some reason. If you're in a recognised anchorage, then the presumption is that everyone is on anchor surely!

[2574]

Visit site
I can't remember that last time I saw one up (West Coast of Scotland). I've only used mine a few times, when I have been anchored somewhere silly for some reason. If you're in a recognised anchorage, then the presumption is that everyone is on anchor surely!
Well here’s one for you, anchored Black Harbour, Loch Fyne last summer…..

blackharbouranchor.png

Momac

Visit site
Good luck with that attitude in Germany; we were motorsailing along the coast, and a large grey customs cutter came right alongside.
The foredeck hand, (who resembled an SS Stormtrooper including machine-gun) was barking orders through a megaphone..because we didn't have a motoring cone.. once I promised to hoist one, they stooged off at 30 knots.
The Germans are anal like that about rules. I work for a German and it does my head in on a regular basis.

sgr143

Visit site
Mine is folded flat and tucked, with the motoring cone, behind the loo in the heads, which are next to the bottom of the companionway. Readily to hand, and it's not like I could put anything especially useful there.

europe172

Visit site
I chuckled at the thought of someone defending a collision with an Anchored boat by saying they assumed it was moving because of the lack of ball. Don’t collision regs maintain that all skippers must avoid a collision?

noelex

Visit site
I chuckled at the thought of someone defending a collision with an Anchored boat by saying they assumed it was moving because of the lack of ball. Don’t collision regs maintain that all skippers must avoid a collision?
A colliding vessel could argue that as no anchor ball was visible they assumed the vessel was underway. If the colliding vessel was the stand-on vessel they could further argue they were holding their course. They still have a duty to avoid a collision but this could conceivably, perhaps unfairly, shift a proportion of the blame to the anchored boat.

Collisions with anchored boats occasionally cause injury or worse. If this happens especially in a foreign jurisdiction you want to be conforming with maritime law. So while an anchor ball is of minimal practical value much of the time it is still worth the small amount of effort needed to deploy the signal in my view.

[2574]

Visit site
A colliding vessel could argue that as no anchor ball was visible they assumed the vessel was underway. If the colliding vessel was the stand-on vessel they could further argue they were holding their course. They still have a duty to avoid a collision but this could conceivably, perhaps unfairly, shift a proportion of the blame to the anchored boat.

Collisions with anchored boats occasionally cause injury or worse. If this happens especially in a foreign jurisdiction you want to be conforming with maritime law. So while an anchor ball is of minimal practical value much of the time it is still worth the small amount of effort needed to deploy the signal in my view.
I completely agree though I fear your pixels fall upon stony ground........:(:rolleyes:

europe172

Visit site

I would be interested in any case where this has happened, has anyone ever experienced this or is it a theoretical risk

[2574]

Visit site
I would be interested in any case where this has happened, has anyone ever experienced this or is it a theoretical risk
I expect its all a bit theoretical - having said that I've some mates who were clobbered by the out riggers of a trawler one early morning, the trawler scarpered but was identified and I understand that the display of proper signals was mentioned in the subseqent legal proceedings.

Last edited:

europe172

Visit site
I expect its all a bit theoretical - having said that I've some mates who were clobbered by the out riggers of a trawler one early morning, the trawler scarpered but was identified and I understand that the display of proper signals was mentioned in the subseqent legal proceedings.
I can understand not displaying a light would contribute to an investigation . But an anchor ball does not aid in seeing a craft only in confirming it is at anchor. By not seeing a ball a skipper might assume it is a. Underway b. Anchored and not showing a ball or c. Anchored and flying a ball which is not clearly visible at that time .
none of which would excuse running into it

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Right next to the snipe bait (and other imaginary things).

---

I was expecting a whole string of sarcastic answers. They are not used in the US other than by commercial shipping, and are not even described in the USCG pamphlets for recreational boaters. I have read many US accident investigations involving daytime anchoring and day shapes are never mentioned.

If you anchored in a commercial area or near an important shipping channel (which seems like a really bad idea) it might be important.

dunedin

Visit site
I saw one ! I saw one ! There was a yacht anchored in Canna Harbour with one up when I passed recently. Always wondered what they looked like :)

It wasn’t a local though, as had a Scottish courtesy flag up as well

PS Whilst many on here seem to think they are more important than a motoring cone, incorrect assumptions about power vs sail could result in a much bigger bang than typically in an anchorage, where most sensible boats only doing 2-3 knots

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The ball and cone live in the port life raft locker in the cockpit. I’ve reverted to doing what her designer intended and we carry six and four man valise life rafts in the cockpit lockers.

I was once pulled over in the ex boat for motor sailing without a cone in Belgian waters.

NormanS

Visit site
I saw one in Loch Aline yesterday. As the boat in question was anchored in Miodar Bay, where there are lots of boats on moorings, I couldn't see the point. Maybe it was a sailing school boat.
I suppose that if for some reason I was anchored in a busy channel, I might hoist a fender, but as I have never done so, I've never felt the need. I do use an anchor light though, and not away up at the mast head.

Shuggy

Visit site
We raised ours for the first time ever last summer to help our teenagers be exam-prepared. No idea where it is now…

Last edited: