What boat for my circumstances?

doug748

Visit site
One recommendation was to have a look at what boats are being used in the local area. If I am honest there are not many yachts about. Most boats seem to be commercial fishing boats. But here are some pictures of what I found today in Wick. Is there anything in my budget that can be seen? I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the boats shown in the pictures........

Just across the harbour Google supplies us with this:

1679317263867.png

The blue boat is a Hurley 24, often available, bilge keel, for 7k or much less. This would go on a 3 ton car or flatbed trailer ok. Take it to Wick in the spring and home in the winter, hoist on and off by crane.

First law of small boat sailing all is compromise. :)

Kelpie

Visit site
From what I read he intends to or wants to launch and recover at each use which may be for a few days or so.
In that case I would suggest (and yes these have all been previously mentioned):
- a Wayfarer for max fun, short daysails and ability to beach and easily explore other cruising grounds
or...
- a Drascombe for a good balance between safety and ease of launch/recovery. Can still beach it so great for exploring the Kyles of Tongue and Durness. You could even get the Longboat version which has a tiny cabin.
or...
- a mini yacht like a Europa. I'd want one that can take the ground for the above reasons
or...
- if determined to get a 'big' boat I wouldn't go any bigger than e.g. an Achilles.

If not willing to commit to a marina berth for the season, the key thing would be something that can be tucked away in a corner of a harbour or dragged up a beach to safety. You cannot guarantee that you will get back to your slipway before the weather closes in, or that recovery will still be possible if you do get back there. And you don't want to leave your boat anchored off a pretty inhospitable bit of coastline waiting for the weather to improve.

If it were me, the Wayfarer would probably win. It's the most fun and the least hassle! But I'd get a small outboard for it. Imagine the fun you can have exploring Orkney. I'd strongly advise doing e.g. Day Skipper first and becoming very familiar with the tide atlas and the position and timing of the roosts.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In that case I would suggest (and yes these have all been previously mentioned):
- a Wayfarer for max fun, short daysails and ability to beach and easily explore other cruising grounds
or...
- a Drascombe for a good balance between safety and ease of launch/recovery. Can still beach it so great for exploring the Kyles of Tongue and Durness. You could even get the Longboat version which has a tiny cabin.
or...
- a mini yacht like a Europa. I'd want one that can take the ground for the above reasons
or...
- if determined to get a 'big' boat I wouldn't go any bigger than e.g. an Achilles.

If not willing to commit to a marina berth for the season, the key thing would be something that can be tucked away in a corner of a harbour or dragged up a beach to safety. You cannot guarantee that you will get back to your slipway before the weather closes in, or that recovery will still be possible if you do get back there. And you don't want to leave your boat anchored off a pretty inhospitable bit of coastline waiting for the weather to improve.

If it were me, the Wayfarer would probably win. It's the most fun and the least hassle! But I'd get a small outboard for it. Imagine the fun you can have exploring Orkney. I'd strongly advise doing e.g. Day Skipper first and becoming very familiar with the tide atlas and the position and timing of the roosts.

If he wants to sail around Orkney in a Wayfarer then he would be better advised to take it there by ferry on its trailer.

srm

Visit site
If he wants to sail around Orkney in a Wayfarer then he would be better advised to take it there by ferry on its trailer.
I have sailed a Drascombe Longboat out of Stromness and in Scapa Flow. As Kelpie said, great fun. I only have a little experience with the Wayfarer but I would prefer the Drascombe around Orkney for two reasons:
* The time I got hit by a squall we put the lee rail well under the surface, the boat filled but remained upright thanks to the buoyancy under the seats. I only got wet when the water overtopped my wellies.
* They are easy to reef when single handed.

However, having crossed the Westray Firth a lot of times in decked yachts I would go further than @Fr J Hackett and suggest that the open boat is also trailed between the main Islands for exploring locally. Yes, you can do a tide drift in light winds but can rarely be sure of the same conditions for the return trip if wanting to explore for a couple of days. The only certainty about the weather at the top of Britain is that it will change, often rapidly.
Lots of weekends I have had an idylic sail out on a Friday evening, and a hard sail back Sunday afternoon (and sometimes the other way around).

Likewise for the Kyles of Toungue and Durness, great potential for a shallow beachable boat but I would suggest taking the boat there by road rather than sailing around the coast, unless of course you have unlimited time (and supplies) to wait for suitable conditions.

But none of this meets the original OP criteria.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
It may meet his criteria as info sinks in .... not trying to be rude.

The idea of trailing a Wayfarer .. sort of appeals to me ... I know many people have done it with similar .. taken ferry to EU land and then driven to launch point ... etc.

Tranona

Visit site
OK ...

Strange .... Hunter Legends out of Portland ..... McGregor's ..... all US boats in UK and EU.

But OK ..
But they were built and certified to the RCD, as were some US built boats such as Island Packets and Catalinas, but most US builders did not bother because there was not a big enough demand.

The point about Scandinavian (and all boats in the EU, but not in the UK on Brexit day) boats need to conform to UKCA if imported for use in the UK, Currently they are accepting RCD certificates for existing boats, but this may change to only latest RCD which will rule out any pre 2012 certificates. Our masters have not carried forward the pre 1997 EEA built boats exemption which exists for boats in either the UK or EU but not for boats entering UK from EU.

Scandinavia has in the past been a good source of quality secondhand boats - one of our club members bought a Windy and motored it back just before Brexit. However the smaller older boats just don't justify the cost of shipping (or hassle of sailing back) or VAT payment even without the potential certification problems.

As I said in one of my posts, it is not the headline asking price in the ads that is important but the total cost of getting the boat to where you want it in the condition you want. This invariably leads to a local boat on this sort of budget. This makes a Hurley 24 in decent nick with a modern engine (very rare!) bought where they are in the south for use in Wick at least £7k. This would mean the one already in Wick in the photo worth close to that - unless it has its original Petter mini 6 which in my book makes it almost worthless!

steveeasy

Visit site
Or simply get a teepee. How lucky am I nice well and sort of dry while it’s having a right Hooley.

Steveeasy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

tommy2

Visit site
We have seen Refuellers contraption for raising and lowering the mast on his 25 foot boat in another thread, would anyone in their right minds be wanting to do that on a regular basis at the head of a slip?

Curiosity has got the better of me! Does anyone have a link to that thread?

Supertramp

Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the Macgregor 26 yet...............
With the right engine you could travel across the Firth mostly airborne.....

I think someone sailed around Britain in one which goes to show its not just the boat but how you sail it. There is something to be said for being able to get out of trouble fast. But not sure I could brew up a tea in 30knts of wind in one.

tommy2

Visit site
The blue boat is a Hurley 24, often available, bilge keel, for 7k or much less.

I have also been looking at the Hurley 22 which seems very capable for its size. I was even reading a few crazy stories about people crossing the Atlantic in them and one person even crossing the pacific in a Hurley 22!

Kelpie

Visit site
I have also been looking at the Hurley 22 which seems very capable for its size. I was even reading a few crazy stories about people crossing the Atlantic in them and one person even crossing the pacific in a Hurley 22!
Look up Shrimpy by Shane Acton. You don't need a big boat to sail round the world.

By the way have you decided whether you want to launch/recover every time you sail, or get a berth?