What boat for my circumstances?

Tranona

Visit site
Which Folkboat do you own? You also say a fraction longer, which models do you have in mind?
The Folkboat is a 1940s design for day sailing, overnighting and racing in Scandinavia. Originally lightly built of wood over the years they mutated into cruising boats then GRP, then slightly larger versions. They also spawned a whole load of similar designs in the 1960s with the same basic hull shape of long keel, transom hung rudder and low coachroof to provide 4 berths and basic living gear. Some like the Twister and the Contessa 26 were built in largish numbers in the UK. In Scandinavia the Vega was an updated version of the same principles but wider, heavier and much more capable offshore.

By later standards this style of boat is considered very basic , cramped and unhandy in modern marina based sailing. At the popular end of the market boats like the Centaur were what people wanted and by the end of the 1970s the old style long keel boats were just about done. For all that they are capable boats which are highly regarded by many - even if they don't own one because of the shortcomings in everyday family cruising. Early wood boats of this type are definitely for the dedicated like Jamie.

onesea

Visit site
If I am being honest, I think they are a bit small for what I am looking for. I already have a sailing dinghy and really want something I can grow into over time and spend extended periods sleeping on the boat during holidays. I am also mindful of the conditions up here.

I am thinking more about time to set up, unless your planning on towing with the mast up (check route for cables) and the slip is not to steep or gradual to make launching easy.

The larger boats are going to take longer to set up than say the drive to say Wick, what ever you get will be a compromise. Go look at some boats, I know given where you live that’s easier said than done but the only way you will see is buy looking at them in person,

Something I have learned with a motorbike, unless it’s at the front of the garage and easy to get riding it won’t go out.

jamie N

Visit site
Tommy, mines an East German wooden one from 1964, here in Fortrose yesterday. It really wouldn't be suitable for you in this version, wooden I mean, but the hull is very similar across the range of the design. As others have said, they've less volume than more modern boats, but it's not onerous. I've spent many months wandering around the Western Isles, Shetland, Orkney and all places North of Inverness, and it's OK single handed. They were designed for a 'happy young couple' with a couple of young kids for weekending or a fortnights holiday, and they're superb at that. With so many marinas available, even for us up here, the size and lack of shower matters less, the boat is the one that (in this size) most others compare themselves to. Think along the lines of a VW campervan; they've never gone out of fashion.
Super boats to sail.
IMG_20230321_084043_919.jpg

Last edited:

tommy2

Visit site
Whatever you throw at me - I will still put the Pageant at top of your list. Its designed to get you home and with some comfort.

You really do like the Pageant don't you. It does seem unique in terms of the internal height for such a small boat. Do you still own yours, or have you moved onto other boats?

jamie N

Visit site
Thanks for the kind words, but that's the '5 metre' look, which is great on a sunny day; close up it's different!
Tommy, she's 7.68m with 2.2m beam, draws 1.2m and weighs in at about 3000kgs, as is. She's not been out of the water since June 2021, as being wooden, she despises drying out.
As a farmer with a life, it wouldn't be suitable for you I think, but a GRP versions as a family/personal boat for sailing around the Northern Isles and over to the Hebs, it's very difficult to think of anything better.
I don't want to put myself on the same pedestal as a good man of this parish with his Anderson 22, which became something of a byword for "enthusiasm" concerning a particular design, but within your budget you do have a great array to choose from. With the choice being so good, it'd be crazy to seek the perfect boat as it doesn't exist, but there are loads that'll do the job.
Perfection shouldn't get in the way of good.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
I am flexible, but I was thinking around ten thousand pounds or less. I could afford more, but I would rather spend less money. So if there was something substantially less price wise, I would be very happy.
I've hesitated to wade in.... which is quite unlike me.

There's wisdom to be squeeze-filtered from the above responses. Let me add perhaps just a little more. Any boat that 'keeps the ocean on the outside and you on the inside, that you can also move along and steer' will do the job. One that you like does the rest of it.

Bigger is not necessarily better. The long-distance solo sailor Roger Taylor, who now lives up your way and sails your waters, has amply demonstrated that in his quite epic voyages in his two 'MingMing' boats - the last being an Achilles 24. There's plenty in print and on YouTube to illustrate what can be done ( Roger Taylor various ) again and again, in a small boat that is adequately prepared AND is sailed with caution. Of course, the more experience is brought, the more appropriate the level of caution....

I can firmly recommend that you look for and consider THREE boats that should do what you want, provided you choose one with care ( yours and others' ), ensure it is robustly provided, and is sailed with the caution your experience - and the precious advice of others who know - suggests is prudent.

Each of those boats is very well proven, and each should be very well within your budget.

Anderson 22
Hurley 22
Hurley 24/70

Of course there are others, but those are tough and proven.....and now cheap. I have some experience of each. The last mentioned I got for £500, was tarted up just a bit, took me to the Scillies, to Ireland and back, and sold on for £3000.

Yes you can.

Refueler

Visit site
You really do like the Pageant don't you. It does seem unique in terms of the internal height for such a small boat. Do you still own yours, or have you moved onto other boats?

I have never owned a Pageant - but have had many friends who did.

I own a slightly larger boat - Sunrider 25 ..... before that Snapdragon 23 ... before that Alacrity 19.

4UFFUdP.jpg

There is an aspect of the Pageant and some Centaurs (there was a slight change to Centaur mast stays during its production).

I surveyed a Pageant with a view to my possible purchase some years ago. Husband had passed away and Widow was selling. The guy was a regular across Channel and into French Rivers / canals singke handed. He had taken advantage of the Pageants mast stay setup by adding stainless steel extenders to the cap shrouds .... they raised the attachment point to level with mast pivot point. He then modified forestay and other stays to have quick release .... furling was not interfered with ..... and still stay 'connected'.
This meant he could raise and lower mast enough to pass under bridges single-handed quickly and easily.
His modifications were simply well thought out and did not affect general running of the boat.

I know others may come in and say any boat can do this ... but for anyone who takes a look at the production Pageant and the Centaurs with similar set-up ... you may see why its good for this.

You seem intent on the launch and recovery bit ... while wanting a boat that you can 'live in for a few days' .... IMHO - Centaur is too big and heavy for this, boats like Hurley / Anderson are cramped and IMHO great weekenders but not for longer. The Pageant sits at what I think is limit for what you want ...
Later when you want to move up in size - plenty people are interested to buy Pageants ... so you should be able to sell it on quite easily.

Many of the boats quoted in the thread will not sell so easily as this ... a factor that could influence your choice.

Refueler

Visit site
There are two Youtube sets that are well worth wtaching for you 'Tommy2' ....

Keep Turning Left : Excellent videos of a TV Cameraman and his Round Britain sailing .. starting with a 19ft'r and ending up with a Centaur ... he explores literally every creek and inlet and with his superb camera skills and commentary - you can sit watching and be entertained for hours.

Sailing Brothers : Two Welsh brothers who decide to break away and do their thing .. it was recc'd to me by a pal of mine and I am watching the videos in series ... shows what can be done when you decide to get on ... The boat is larger - 34ft - and definitely not suitable for OP wants ... but the videos are well worth the time.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Just a thought but if you're ok with the idea of spending a few hours shifting the boat in and out of the water, would you be ok with spending a couple of hours driving down the east coast instead? If you kept a boat somewhere slightly less dramatic in terms of tides, such as Inverness, you might get more sailing days. I know from experience of sailing in the Bristol Channel that it can be hard to get a day on the water when you need your own time and the weather to line up with the right tide times. I don't know Inverness but if there are deep water swinging moorings you can sail off at any time, it's vastly easier to get sailing, and your choice of boats is far less restricted.
Inverness has the marina, all tide access (but don't assume you can get under the bridge in the direction you want at any state of tide) and not cheap.

Fortrose has deep moorings run by the sailing club, and a cheaper drying harbour at Avoch (where we keep our boat)

But it's a very minimum of 2 hours drive down from wick, often longer.

Invergordon Boat club in the Cromarty firth can provide deep moorings and would shave half an hour off the journey from wick.