Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

jrudge

Visit site
I think the issue is the same as that stopping repair - that they are potted and hence you can’t get to the chips.

I would however assume the map of what is does can be determined by sensors attached to the engine - but of course understanding every input variable and it’s impact over the rpm range could be tricky.

Portofino

Visit site
How would you reverse engineer the software? Hardware easy, but thats not the clever bit.
Get hold of a none bust one and clone it .
Wonder if Bosch injectors play a programme part as you have to ask them only what they are capable of .
Chines / Koreans will be able to fathom .
To market it as I said earlier best to get the blessing of the parent co .
Having looked at NIRA. ( Vps suby ) , they seem keen on other stuff , one of those co s that keeps reinventing and changing chasing tech m currently they are into tyre pressure monitors using ABS sensors in the wheel hubs to differentiate rotation speed as opposed to conventional bat operated TPMS sensors in the wheels .Looks like they have dropped engine management hardware.
So I think you find a manufacturer the easy bit and bend Volvo arm for the soft where .
As I said it helps Volvo on many levels to “ allow “ this so they can concentrate on the day job .

The others MAN , MTU ( inc Detroit D ) , CAT tend to do less subcontracting more in house and have a bigger none marine side, trucks , trains , buses , plant etc, so can carry more in house manufacturing .
So .The engines being bigger are modular many parts shared a crossed the range so the inventory is smaller as stuff is shared .

I know MAN re the electrotwackery keep it all off the engine in a separate box un potted .Theses are remote mounted off the block somewhere dry and safe .A few Allen keys to open to access the OBD plug(s) .
For those in the boat market just another facet to consider ?

1BFBDB16-61C3-4F5D-8291-3B9287345711.jpeg

kashurst

Visit site
I have 2 x KAMD 300s that are 17 years old. Touch wood no problems. Just been doing a quick internet search for after market diesel ECU designers. There are a few that do common rail injection kits. However the KAD 44/300 and TAMD 73/74/75 have a mechanical fuel injection pump that is controlled by a PWM signal to move the spill ring inside what is an old style injection pump, which makes controlling the engine a lot simpler as the individual injection timing is all sorted mechanically. There is a separate control - again I think a PWM input that controls the overall timing advance/retardation. The throttle position is just an analogue output.
Given that the technology is 1990s and that the Volvo engine manuals explain pretty well what the system is doing, I don't think that a suitably skilled company would find it very difficult to do an aftermarket ECU.
The tricky bit is creating enough interest for someone to start the design/software ball rolling. I would guess an existing modern ECU has more than enough hardware to do it, just need a harness and software.

Does anyone know how many of these engines Volvo made and have they actually stopped making the ECU?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Does anyone know how many of these engines Volvo made and have they actually stopped making the ECU?
I believe my 2002 KAD44's share the same ECU hardware and they are serial number c. 9500. I don't know whether KAMD44's would have had their own serial number range. Plus there were TAMD73/4/5 and KAD/KAMD300 volumes so we're looking at maybe 20,000 units?

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com

Re quantity made, I am guessing many thousands in total, re have they stopped making the ECU - In a word Yes, they say delivery is Q3 2021 IF they make anymore.
For now they have run out and have no plans to remake.

Mr Koen Sips, the Head of Parts has so far failed to contact me despite being sent the complaint by the President of the Company.
It seems to me Volvo really do not give a fig about the matter.

Still, never say never...I live in hope that they will find a box full of them and send me one, just one, that's all we want please!

Last edited:

Imperial One

I think another communication to the president is in order. A link to this discussion might help
I hope you get sorted
Hi David,
I have already done another mail to both the President and Mr Sips this afternoon and asking for a response to availability by the end of business on Friday.
They have had the link to this discussion since I wrote at the beginning of the week and are probably reading it as well.
Best regards,
Mike.

jon and michie

Visit site
This Gel that the pcb is encapusalted in - was it poured in when manufactured if so was it hot/warm ? maybe get a broken ecu or get some of this gel and try and warm the gel up to see if it starts to liquify then maybe able to see the components and layout of the pcb

Imperial One

Good evening all,
By way of an update for you all there is still no news from Volvo other than to say that if an engine is over 15 years old they do not expect to support it. Interesting comment but seemingly accurate. I have gom eback to th eauthor of that email to ask If I can put a copy on thi sforum for the wider Volvo user base to see and understand what may lay ahead for them too.
I have had mails from all sorts of senior people promising to do something but so far all they have manged is to keep us waiting for news.
The top man in the UK called me to say he was concerned about our problem and from the conversation I had with him, he had seemingly had his ear bent by the President but despite saying he would email me on Friday, at close of business today, there is still nothing.
This is typical of the Volvo UK Support in my experience, hence why I went straight to Ghent and Sweden in the first place.
Am I disappointed?
Am I annoyed?
Am I getting anywhere?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Good evening all,
By way of an update for you all there is still no news from Volvo other than to say that if an engine is over 15 years old they do not expect to support it. Interesting comment but seemingly accurate. I have gom eback to th eauthor of that email to ask If I can put a copy on thi sforum for the wider Volvo user base to see and understand what may lay ahead for them too.
I have had mails from all sorts of senior people promising to do something but so far all they have manged is to keep us waiting for news.
The top man in the UK called me to say he was concerned about our problem and from the conversation I had with him, he had seemingly had his ear bent by the President but despite saying he would email me on Friday, at close of business today, there is still nothing.
This is typical of the Volvo UK Support in my experience, hence why I went straight to Ghent and Sweden in the first place.
Am I disappointed?
Am I annoyed?
Am I getting anywhere?
I will answer your last three questions.
yes
Yes
No

When informed my contact here of your actions the reply was “ good luck “

Imperial One

An Update!
I have received an email this morning saying that Volvo are "actively working to re-start production and I can assure you this has been escalated to the highest level in Volvo Penta as we have many other Customers also in the situation ".

Perhaps we are getting somewhere but until we know for sure that they will start to reproduce these parts, we are in reality, no further forward but do at least now have a glimmer of hope.

Mike.

stelican

Visit site
An Update!
I have received an email this morning saying that Volvo are "actively working to re-start production and I can assure you this has been escalated to the highest level in Volvo Penta as we have many other Customers also in the situation ".

Perhaps we are getting somewhere but until we know for sure that they will start to reproduce these parts, we are in reality, no further forward but do at least now have a glimmer of hope.

Mike.
Well done they should make you sole concesseonaire ?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
An Update!

Mike.
That sounds promising Mike. Will you chase them up in a couple of weeks?