Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

n.herring

Visit site
On mine we knew the part that had gone, yours sounds somewhat worse. As far as I know the guy that did it is no longer interested in getting work, long story but best if I PM you his name, Neil

n.herring

Visit site
The boost sensor is easily replaced. You can see it at the bottom here (it simply unplugs and you can ease it out). What we're talking about here is the encapsulated circuit board.
That makes sense, all I knew was that it was encapsulated in ECU, as I have 2 of these I am very interested it how this is resolved

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Has anyone gone the route of an ECU repair company?
When you Google it there are people all over the country offering this service, I know they are working on the car or lorry versions but I can not believe there is a lot of difference in the actual hardware.
If the unit is repaired and the software needs to be reloaded I would think a Volvo dealer would be happy to oblige for a small fee!
I’ve tried every angle but as the board is set in solid silicone no one will touch it , it’s not like a normal ECU board

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
It’s programmed at the factory by Volvo not a dealer via vodia
And there in lies our problem - we are constantly going round in circles.
Volvo cannot program what they do not have stocks of and will not build more of.
In short they are calling the shots and it seems they really don't care at all about the many engines they have out there which are potentially uselss if the ECU blows....and they clearly do blow!

I will continue to update the thread as I know or hear more but I am going to be offline from late AM Wednesday until midday on Thursday.

rafiki_

Visit site
Is there a truck which has the same block? Whilst the maps would be totally different, might provide a starting point to get the engine idling, and then work from there.
Truck ECU’s are unlikely to be programmable. Truck manufacturers are paranoid about operators tinkering, having failures then claiming under warranty. Needs a generic programmable ECU and a decent calibrator.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Truck ECU’s are unlikely to be programmable. Truck manufacturers are paranoid about operators tinkering, having failures then claiming under warranty. Needs a generic programmable ECU and a decent calibrator.
Not a kid with a laptop that can alter the PWM as with most tuning boxes

• Haha
Reactions: vas

Newbroom

Visit site
Was the engine used in any commercial applications with a Non ECU pump. Could the engine be converted to run mechanically. I think I know the answer but just in case.????

Cymraeg

Visit site
No, but could be reverse engineered to provide basic settings for a programmable ECU if Volvo are reticent on providing settings e.g. get the engine to start and idle, then build in the marine specifics?

jwfrary

Visit site
Hi
Not in defence of volvo, I firmly belive in the right to repair but Cummins owners of early engines eg. The qsb 5.9 qsc 8.3 and a few others fitted with smartcraft 1 and 2 will find that a couple of essential ecus are now out of manufacture..
Solution is to replace the whole system monitoring system and main engine ecu needs reprogramming, very expensive and inconvenient considering.
Your in the same boat with iveco aifos as well.

Hope you find a solution to the volvo problem. You might try bartech over East in the UK.

Have to say, dealing mostly with cat, mtu and man parts availibility even for old engines is exellent..

rafiki_

Visit site
No, but could be reverse engineered to provide basic settings for a programmable ECU if Volvo are reticent on providing settings e.g. get the engine to start and idle, then build in the marine specifics?
How would you reverse engineer the software? Hardware easy, but thats not the clever bit.