UK holiday makers to be banned from EU after 1/1/2021

De.windhoos

Visit site
Will there be problems, is it maybe more fake news? On one hand, for a long time we've had the EU telling us we will be restricted to 90/180 for Schengen travel and now newspapers saying we're banned but, so far no official confirmation as far as I can find.
There are 3 issues for the UK;
  1. Covid restrictions. As stated earlier in 2020 the EU included the UK as an EU member(because of the transition) regarding Covid travel restrictions. This exception will end on Dec 31st. And if there is no Brexit deal then chances are slim that the exception will be extended. So that means that the UK needs to be on the safe country list and given the Covid numbers in the UK I don't see that happening. As someone else pointed out earlier, that list is very short
  2. Traveling as of Jan 1st. If there is no deal, and the EU's proposal for a temporary exception is rejected by the UK, The UK will not be part of the EU legal framework anymore. This will mean that, for instance, UK airlines are not allowed to fly between EU destinations and vice versa. So you can fly BA from Heathrow to Schiphol, but not BA from Schiphol to Madrid. It will also impact road haulage in the same way. Even the Tunnel is part of the legal framework so theoretically the tunnel has to close.
  3. Without a deal, the UK will be just another country and therefore Schengen rules will apply. For people going to the UK, the normal UK visa rules will apply (6 months?). It would've been nice if the EU would mirror that rule for British people, but for that to happen a deal is needed....
As a side note, this entire Brexit thing does not have any winners, only victims on both sides of the Chanel.

CLB

Visit site
I would be more concerned about the fact that without a deal, UK based airlines are not allowed to enter EU airspace (and vice versa). This is because internal EU airspace regulations are part of the EU legal framework and the UK has left that framework.....

How do aircraft from the ROW, the US for example, traverse EU airspace?

De.windhoos

Visit site
They have an agreement in place. which is normal. the UK is an exception because they were part of the EU and therefore didn't need an agreement. UK airlines will be allowed to traverse EU airspace to and from the UK, they will not be allowed to have flights from 1 EU airport to another EU airport.

It's the same with financial institutions and transactions. Only a separate deal was struck between the UK and the EU earlier this year because of the importance of the UK as a financial hub and the amount of money involved. But also here there are gaps, for instance, UK bank accounts of people residing in the Netherlands are being canceled by UK banks because the Netherlands does not have a specific agreement with the UK.

De.windhoos

Visit site
Anyway a solution to the problem arrived in the post yesterday so flight to the boat is on again.
You might need to take a ferry to Ireland first. I think there was an EU court case this summer that allowed the exclusion of flights based upon origin of flight but not the exclusion of people based upon nationality.

That said, welcome EU Comrade Citizen ;)

RupertW

Visit site
You might need to take a ferry to Ireland first. I think there was an EU court case this summer that allowed the exclusion of flights based upon origin of flight but not the exclusion of people based upon nationality.

That said, welcome EU Comrade Citizen ;)
At the moment the EU website says that EU citizens can travel from the UK to EU countries after 1st January but non-EU citizens cannot travel for leisure purposes.

doug748

Visit site

They have reciprocal rights and obligations as set out in the various annexes of the Chicago Convention initiated in 1944. This will no doubt need adjustments, in light of the new arrangements but not overhaul.

Mudisox

Visit site
So - when I sail on my own boat [vat paid] and arrive in France, say Treguier. What might happen?

Be turned away, I think not, although the fishermen might not like it!!:rolleyes:

Poignard

Visit site
So - when I sail on my own boat [vat paid] and arrive in France, say Treguier. What might happen?
[...]
I can tell you what might happen if you don't allow for the fierce tide that runs through the pontoons! Disaster.

I had a week there once and there wasn't a day where some poor devil didn't get into difficulties.

A friend of mine had buy a Frenchman a new outboard after he knocked his into the sea!

st599

Visit site

Be turned away, I think not, although the fishermen might not like it!!:rolleyes:
Is tTreguier a port of entry? RYA advice is that you will have to enter France at a port of entry, visit customs and immigration then you're clear to travel onwards. Same for leaving.
Shame that they French haven't adopted the German and Dutch system and rolled the checks out to marinas.

stevie69p

Visit site
Anyway a solution to the problem arrived in the post yesterday so flight to the boat is on again.

You are a lucky chap. I have missed out on that route as grannie was born 6 years after her siblings who were born in Ireland. The irony is that my daughter holds an Irish passport through her maternal grandfather :(

Mudisox

Visit site
I can tell you what might happen if you don't allow for the fierce tide that runs through the pontoons! Disaster.

I had a week there once and there wasn't a day where some poor devil didn't get into difficulties.

A friend of mine had buy a Frenchman a new outboard after he knocked his into the sea!

Not had a problem there and friends with the Harbour master! Easier when we anchored off 50+ years ago before the marina though.

Mudisox

Visit site
to sure when it was opened but still have a jacket bought there. The excellent restaurant behind the Cathedral has also gone.

Kelpie

Visit site
So if a UK national is already in the EU at the end of the year, what happens? Do you wake up on the 1st of January, present yourself to a customs officer to get your passport stamped, and then promptly get deported because you're not supposed to be arriving in the EU due to Covid?
Or is there a way to check in to the EU prior to the 1st of January?

atol

Visit site
So if a UK national is already in the EU at the end of the year, what happens? Do you wake up on the 1st of January, present yourself to a customs officer to get your passport stamped, and then promptly get deported because you're not supposed to be arriving in the EU due to Covid?
Or is there a way to check in to the EU prior to the 1st of January?
you would probably be treated as a resident untill your 90 days runs out,at which point you become illegal and liable to a fine and deported