UK holiday makers to be banned from EU after 1/1/2021

V1701

Visit site
At the risk of getting political and residency aside there has been nowhere near as much closing of borders as there should have been during this pandemic. If people and businesses had been supported appropriately they wouldn't have been so desperate to reopen so quickly with the predictable consequences and the whole thing would in the long run have been less catastrophic all round. All in my humble opinion of course...

nortada

Visit site
At the risk of getting political and residency aside there has been nowhere near as much closing of borders as there should have been during this pandemic. If people and businesses had been supported appropriately they wouldn't have been so desperate to reopen so quickly with the predictable consequences and the whole thing would in the long run have been less catastrophic all round. All in my humble opinion of course...
Agree. Like your humble opinion. A bit more leadership in the early stages would have made all of the difference.

For the first 40 or so years after WWII MPs were tempered in the military and the hardships of life and rose to the top to become national leaders. The dross fell by the wayside.

The current bunch are the product of a priveledged education, PPE at a posh University, understudying as a SPAD before the Party Machine found them a safe seat and promoted them to High Office.?

They wouldn’t know leadership if it fell on them.?

In my humble opinion.?

Now back to thread.✅

De.windhoos

Visit site
The UK is not part of the EU anymore, because of the transition period the EU decided that for travel crossborder during the Covid crisis the UK was allowed the same status as EU countries. On Dec 31st the transition period ends, therefore the EU treats the UK like any other non-EU country. There are currently only a few non-EU countries on the EU Covid-19 safe list.

I would be more concerned about the fact that without a deal, UK based airlines are not allowed to enter EU airspace (and vice versa). This is because internal EU airspace regulations are part of the EU legal framework and the UK has left that framework.....

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Only 'may be' ? You seriously think that people with Portuguese residency may not be able to get back into Portugal after New Year? I find that unlikely.
- W
I think residents will have a good chance but flights may be scarce. Last year, a couple of us had to drive down to Stansted because all Manchester flights were cancelled and so was Faro airport. I hope I'm wrong but, if the travel ban is in force, I can't see many airlines flying empty aircraft.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
The UK is not part of the EU anymore, because of the transition period the EU decided that for travel crossborder during the Covid crisis the UK was allowed the same status as EU countries. On Dec 31st the transition period ends, therefore the EU treats the UK like any other non-EU country. There are currently only a few non-EU countries on the EU Covid-19 safe list.

I would be more concerned about the fact that without a deal, UK based airlines are not allowed to enter EU airspace (and vice versa). This is because internal EU airspace regulations are part of the EU legal framework and the UK has left that framework.....

Not for one second do I think there will be any over flying bans but if there were, it is relatively easy to fly UK to Portugal without entering any EU airspace other than Portuguese airspace.

Back in the dark ages, when we could’ve enter Spanish airspace in a Shackleton, we used a similar route from RAF St Mawgan, Cornwall to RAF NorthFront Gibraltar - long old trip.

As airspace is a sovereign asset, Portugal is not likely to miss such an opportunity, it could produce a holiday boom in Portugal and make the place to relocate your boat, for the future.

But as said, it just ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
Only 'may be' ? You seriously think that people with Portuguese residency may not be able to get back into Portugal after New Year? I find that unlikely.

- W

Many NZ citizens were unable to return home for many months. If they return now they must pay the Quarrantine fees - not cheap.

That is how you deal with CV19 - dont let it in when you are getting it under control.

nortada

Visit site

- W

I agree, on the first lock down in March, Portuguese citizens and residents had far greater freedom of movement to return to their countries of residence than other EU citizens who did not have Portuguese residency.

This created the anomaly that, for example, a Spanish national, who was also an EU citizen but did not have Portuguese residency, could not enter Portugal but a British national with Portuguese residency, could return to his boat in Portugal.

I anticipate the same will apply in the coming situation.

RupertW

Visit site
I would be surprised if residents are allowed to travel - I suspect only citizens but the best way of checking that I guess is to find out whether US citizens who are residents have been allowed to travel over the last few months.

I am booked out to my boat in Tenerife on 2nd January, so that’s not looking likely unless my newly applied for Irish passport arrives in time, from what I understand of the rules right now. It’s due on 4th January.

Edit: Just checked the US rules and I’m glad to find out I was wrong and US citizens who are ordinarily resident in an EU country have been allowed to travel to that country when all other US citizens are forbidden except for work.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I would be surprised if residents are allowed to travel

I think they will be able to, as happened earlier this year. Biggest problem we had in summer was finding flights as most cancelled and some airports were closed but, internal Europe travel is allowed now. Situation from January is the restriction on third country citizens entering EU, not a lock down.
(I see Ryanair are offering £5 flights late December to quite a few destinations so get there before the ban)

newtothis

Visit site
Many NZ citizens were unable to return home for many months. If they return now they must pay the Quarrantine fees - not cheap.

That is how you deal with CV19 - dont let it in when you are getting it under control.
NZ citizens only have to pay if returning short term. Over 90 days, the taxpayer picks up the tab. Designed to bring money/earnings/taxes/talent back to the country, but not holidaymakers.
And the system is working....

1607689548182.png

syvictoria

Visit site
Where did Aquaboy's wondrous (!) post which included the comment "Lets be honest the EU hates the fact we got the vaccine out first" go? I was just trying to decide whether or not to raise to the bait, and suddenly it's disappeared! Am I going mad?

De.windhoos

Visit site
[Content removed]
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1) the Pfizner-BionTech vaccine was developed by BionTech that is a GERMAN company.
2) the development was partially financed (100 million) by the EU Commission and the European Investment Bank.
3) I think that most people believe that the approval of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) (that used to be in London) has more standing than the UK approval given your populist government track record.....
4) In the first days, the UK discovered that you shouldn't give the vaccin to people that have extreme allergic reactions. Who would've thought? Welllll maybe if your government had taken a couple of days more to make sure that clear instructions went out?
and 5) just ????

Last edited by a moderator:

De.windhoos

Visit site
Where did Aquaboy's wondrous (!) post which included the comment "Lets be honest the EU hates the fact we got the vaccine out first" go? I was just trying to decide whether or not to raise to the bait, and suddenly it's disappeared! Am I going mad?
I did raise to the bait and was just in time ?