UK holiday makers to be banned from EU after 1/1/2021

newtothis

Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1) the Pfizner-BionTech vaccine was developed by BionTech that is a GERMAN company. Started by TURKISH migrants
2) the development was partially financed (100 million) by the EU Commission and the European Investment Bank.
3) I think that most people believe that the approval of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) (that used to be in London) has more standing than the UK approval given your populist government track record.....
4) In the first days, the UK discovered that you shouldn't give the vaccin to people that have extreme allergic reactions. Who would've thought? Welllll maybe if your government had taken a couple of days more to make sure that clear instructions went out?
and 5) just ????
Added relevant fact in gammon pink. ;)

andyc352

Visit site
I think residents will have a good chance but flights may be scarce. Last year, a couple of us had to drive down to Stansted because all Manchester flights were cancelled and so was Faro airport. I hope I'm wrong but, if the travel ban is in force, I can't see many airlines flying empty aircraft.
I agree. I’m booked to fly back to Scotland in a week, returning to Faro on 2nd Jan. I’ll be clutching my Portuguese residence paperwork which should permit me entry, but there’s a very real danger that Ryanair will cancel the flight if numbers dwindle to a trickle. Thank you ERG and your billionaire backers.

nortada

Visit site
I agree. I’m booked to fly back to Scotland in a week, returning to Faro on 2nd Jan. I’ll be clutching my Portuguese residence paperwork which should permit me entry, but there’s a very real danger that Ryanair will cancel the flight if numbers dwindle to a trickle.

Provided the aircraft flies and there are no Covid restrictions to prevent your trip, I reckon you will have no problem getting back into Faro; especially if you have your SEF endorsement of your residency document.

I am sure we will all be wishing you well and will be very interested to hear how you get on getting your SEF interim clearance and what it is like returning through Faro on 2nd Jan

Best of luck.

andyc352

Visit site
Provided the aircraft flies and there are no Covid restrictions to prevent your trip, I reckon you will have no problem getting back into Faro; especially if you have your SEF endorsement of your residency document.

I am sure we will all be wishing you well and will be very interested to hear how you get on getting your SEF interim clearance and what it is like returning through Faro on 2nd Jan

Best of luck.
Thanks for the good wishes. To be honest I was minded to cancel and stay here nice and cosy onboard in Portugal but my sister lives on her own and has taken it badly now our parents are dead. She’s on her own and our other siblings are in far-flung continents so I promised I’d spend Christmas with her. She’s worth it. My difficulties are absolutely trivial compared to the utter havoc that’s being unleashed on many others throughout Europe.

De.windhoos

Visit site
Do you really believe, that countries like Spain will exclude a lucrative source of income?
uhmmmm, yes! The EU has been closed for non-EU countries for 6 months now. Since a month or so specific business travel is allowed, but you need to jump through a lot of hoops, and that's assuming you find a flight. You guys haven't noticed this because, although you left the EU, the EU decided that in the transition year, the UK would count as an EU country for Covid purposes. Will it hurt countries like Spain? yes, it will. But don't forget that those same countries had no problem closing their (internal) borders earlier in the pandemic.

nortada

Visit site
uhmmmm, yes! The EU has been closed for non-EU countries for 6 months now. Since a month or so specific business travel is allowed, but you need to jump through a lot of hoops, and that's assuming you find a flight. You guys haven't noticed this because, although you left the EU, the EU decided that in the transition year, the UK would count as an EU country for Covid purposes. Will it hurt countries like Spain? yes, it will. But don't forget that those same countries had no problem closing their (internal) borders earlier in the pandemic.

As an EU resident, this Guy is very much still in the EU and will be after the New Year. Living in the real world, I don’t really, recognise what you describe so please, where are you❓

De.windhoos

Visit site
As an EU resident, this Guy is very much still in the EU and will be after the New Year. Living in the real world, I don’t really, recognise what you describe so please, where are you❓
In the Netherlands and my boat is in Greece. Where I can't get to because of travel restrictions in Greece.
If you are in the EU and a resident you don't have a problem. It's people in the UK that will have a problem from Jan 1st, which, BTW, includes my mother who lives in the UK and will not be able to travel to the Netherlands. And all the blustering in the world will not change the facts of the no-deal Brexit (or Australian Deal as it's called now) impact.

nortada

Visit site
In the Netherlands and my boat is in Greece. Where I can't get to because of travel restrictions in Greece.
If you are in the EU and a resident you don't have a problem. It's people in the UK that will have a problem from Jan 1st, which, BTW, includes my mother who lives in the UK and will not be able to travel to the Netherlands. And all the blustering in the world will not change the facts of the no-deal Brexit (or Australian Deal as it's called now) impact.

So, rather than Brexit, this is a Corona driven problem.❓

Whatever, I am sorry to hear about your trials and hope they get resolved very soon.???

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Will there be problems, is it maybe more fake news? On one hand, for a long time we've had the EU telling us we will be restricted to 90/180 for Schengen travel and now newspapers saying we're banned but, so far no official confirmation as far as I can find.

syvictoria

Visit site
Will there be problems, is it maybe more fake news? On one hand, for a long time we've had the EU telling us we will be restricted to 90/180 for Schengen travel and now newspapers saying we're banned but, so far no official confirmation as far as I can find.

Why would you think that this is 'fake' news? At present (or as of Oct), the EU's list of third countries 'recommended' to be allowed to cross EU external boarders (Travel restrictions: Council reviews the list of third countries for which restrictions should be lifted) consisted of:
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Rwanda
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Uruguay
  • China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity
It's only a small list... Therefore it's surely a very realistic proposition that the UK won't be added to it come 1/1/21 given that our covid rate is again rising (at a national level) very sadly.

The above is entirely separate to the Schengen 90/180 rules and is only a temporary situation due to covid.

greeny

Visit site
Why would you think that this is 'fake' news? At present (or as of Oct), the EU's list of third countries 'recommended' to be allowed to cross EU external boarders (Travel restrictions: Council reviews the list of third countries for which restrictions should be lifted) consisted of:
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Rwanda
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Uruguay
  • China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity
It's only a small list... Therefore it's surely a very realistic proposition that the UK won't be added to it come 1/1/21 given that our covid rate is again rising (at a national level) very sadly.

The above is entirely separate to the Schengen 90/180 rules and is only a temporary situation due to covid.

There is also a very real proposition that the UK will be added to it.
Its a covid issue not brexit so even if the border is closed it's a temporary closure until covid settles down. No different than the Spanish or Greek or any other border closure due to covid.
The media loves it's headlines.

"Holidaymakers from Great Britain barred from EU after 1 January."

Chris_Robb

Visit site
No! The EU have grouped us in with the majority of the rest of the world due to our still high covid rates. Entirely foreseeable, and entirely a result of no longer being part of the EU. No scare at all!
Each country can do what it wants under EU law - so I cannot see Greece stopping access. The Greeks by the way are very sympathetic to Brexit..... you may remember their treatment?

syvictoria

Visit site
Each country can do what it wants under EU law - so I cannot see Greece stopping access. The Greeks by the way are very sympathetic to Brexit..... you may remember their treatment?

As with previous covid-related border 'closures', the real issue is more likely to be a lack of transport and insurance.

(P.S.: Sorry I can't resist... You mean that EU countries have sovereignty over such decisions? Wow, who'd have thought it!!!!)

greeny

Visit site
Can't we have a glass half full for a change.
Woe is me! Doom and gloom! Not really the British spirit is it.
I didn't vote for Brexit and don't want it. But it is what it is.
Get over it. Move on. As the problems come at us we will find the solutions. Let's not invent them before they are real.
Oh, and stopping believing everything you read in the newspapers may be a good start.
:sleep::sleep:

nortada

Visit site
Can't we have a glass half full for a change.
Woe is me! Doom and gloom! Not really the British spirit is it.
I didn't vote for Brexit and don't want it. But it is what it is.
Get over it. Move on. As the problems come at us we will find the solutions. Let's not invent them before they are real.
Oh, and stopping believing everything you read in the newspapers may be a good start.
:sleep::sleep:.

And in these forums. ?