UK holiday makers to be banned from EU after 1/1/2021

nortada

Visit site
you would probably be treated as a resident untill your 90 days runs out,at which point you become illegal and liable to a fine and deported

Rather than a resident, you would be treated as a visitor until 31 Mar 21, when you would become a visitor who had overstayed your 90 days in country.

But, in practical terms, provided you arrived in the Schengen Zone as a citizen of the EU (before 31 Dec 20), it likely no body would know when you arrived so provided you didn’t get pinged by the authorities, you could probably stay undetected for as long as you like and travel all over the Schengen Zone.

The problems could kick in when you come to leave the Schengen Zone when it could become apparent that you had overstayed your 90 days.

Listening to some folk about me, who have not ‘bothered’ to get residency this will be their situation come the end of March 21.

Depending the ‘host country’ I suspect if ‘picked up’ they will be deported but if they were already leaving the country, other than a quick bollocking, probably nothing would be done.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
So if a UK national is already in the EU at the end of the year, what happens? Do you wake up on the 1st of January, present yourself to a customs officer to get your passport stamped, and then promptly get deported because you're not supposed to be arriving in the EU due to Covid?
Or is there a way to check in to the EU prior to the 1st of January?

Whenever your passport is scanned at the airport or port of entry, you're almost certainly checked in to that country but not sure if it's connected to any Schengen database yet. 90 limit presumably won't start until 1st January so may be prudent to leave before end of March just in case,

atol

Visit site
Rather than a resident, you would be treated as a visitor until 31 Mar 21, when you would become a visitor who had overstayed your 90 days in country.

But, in practical terms, provided you arrived in the Schengen Zone as a citizen of the EU (before 31 Dec 20), it likely no body would know when you arrived so provided you didn’t get pinged by the authorities, you could probably stay undetected for as long as you like and travel all over the Schengen Zone.

The problems could kick in when you come to leave the Schengen Zone when it could become apparent that you had overstayed your 90 days.

Listening to some folk about me, who have not ‘bothered’ to get residency this will be their situation come the end of March 21.

Depending the ‘host country’ I suspect if ‘picked up’ they will be deported but if they were already leaving the country, other than a quick bollocking, probably nothing would be done.
i refered to visitors as residents,as potentially due to eu covid regs for 3rd country visitors all uk citizens without residence,work or essential worker status will be refused entry after the 1st of january,
residents however would be allowed to continue life as normal whilst observing local covid restrictions.

i would guess that there might be some sort of dispensation or amnesty during the first year,as there there would also be the question of what happens with brits who might be currently travelling in motorhomes returning to the uk from non shengen eu countries but barred at southern shengan borders,like croatia ,switzerland,bulgaria etc

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
i refered to visitors as residents,as potentially due to eu covid regs for 3rd country visitors all uk citizens without residence,work or essential worker status will be refused entry after the 1st of january,
residents however would be allowed to continue life as normal whilst observing local covid restrictions.

i would guess that there might be some sort of dispensation or amnesty during the first year,as there there would also be the question of what happens with brits who might be currently travelling in motorhomes returning to the uk from non shengen eu countries but barred at southern shengan borders,like croatia ,switzerland,bulgaria etc

Sorry, I don’t follow your logic. Visitors are not residents.

Brits who hold residency in an EU country have documentation to prove their status, which is somewhat different to British visitors who do not.

The most obvious difference is a resident is entitled to unlimited stay in their host country plus up to 90 days in 180 in other Schengen Zone countries. A visitor can only spend 90 days in 180 in the Schengen Zone.

So far as I am aware, the Covid restrictions on third nation visitors will not apply to Brits holding EU residency.

Hopefully, once the vaccination programme is fully established within the next few months and Covid is on the run, then any Covid based travel restrictions will be lifted.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So if a UK national is already in the EU at the end of the year, what happens? Do you wake up on the 1st of January, present yourself to a customs officer to get your passport stamped, and then promptly get deported because you're not supposed to be arriving in the EU due to Covid?
I let you know in some months time :)

Tony Cross

Visit site
I don't think you need to worry about the COVID issue. It's people coming from the infection hotspot of the UK to the EU that is likely to be prevented. Those already in the EU present no increased risk.

I would expect the 90 day clock to start on 1st Jan since from that date UK citizens who do not have a legal right of residence in whatever EU country they're in, are there courtesy of the 90/180 day rule - which gives you up to the end of March.