Top 3 pleasures of moorings

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Each to their own I say

In the summer months we are either sailing or on the mooring .When all the charterers go home and wanaby livaboard go an find a marina or get lifted onto the hard we use the town quay.

Again we are very lucky as we live in Greece ,for most of the time, and as I have said before I live here for less than 100euro a year in port fees. 1500euro a year average for heating and cooking and the rest about 6000euro on food and drink. Not bad for a 44ft boat with two people and visiting daughters.
Sod paying some marina owner 5000euro to park

cheers

Last edited:

aslabend

Visit site
One of the worst thing about swinging mooring? Misjudging the approaching squall and getting a right soaking as you head back in your dinghy. Trouble is that for me it's also one of the best things..... I don't know why but I always find getting caught in the rain kind of fun.

V1701

Visit site
I'll be going into a marina (for 1st year anyway) out of necessity due to living aboard. The peace, the views and the being able to fish off the boat are what I'd most appreciate on a mooring...

awol

Visit site
Here's the kicker, if they both cost the same, would you chose a marina berth or a mooring?

Cost is surely only one factor in the decision making. While the concept of a mere £36 to the Crown Commissioners (and I object to that, on principle) for 6 months parking is a major attraction, there is a different mind set associated with a moored boat that makes a difference, for me at any rate. Even the simple thought process of planning to go to and leave the boat is different - forget something and it is an effort to go back and get it so you quickly learn not to forget. Batteries get turned off, sea cocks closed, gas turned off at cylinder, halyards frapped, wallets and keys pocketed, oilskins taken home, etc., all as a matter of course. And there's a lot more small intangibles, from the simple pleasure of just seeing her sitting on her mooring, rather than trying to spot my mast amongst the forest, to looking back on her as I walk or drive away.
If anyone wants to offer me a £36 marina berth with the same ease of access and geographical convenience - Kip might almost do - then I would be happy to compare and report, but I'm not at all sure the marina would win.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think this is a mooring versus marina thing any more than my marina thread was. It's just about the absolute pleasures of each. We had a mooring for many years and enjoyed it greatly. My top 3 pleasures were;

Casting off in the dinghy and leaving the world of work and worries behind.

Leaving the mooring in the dinghy and being able to look back and admire one's beautiful boat (well, as a Sadler 29 it wasn't all that beautiful).

Waking in the morning with nothing to do but have a quick breakfast and cast off.

and because I can't count; arriving and making a perfect pick-up under sail.

TamarMike

Visit site
arriving and making a perfect pick-up under sail.

If we're allowed 4 I would definately add that one one. :)

I don't think the original question was to do with whether moorings are better than marinas but even though some aspects of moorings become tiresome we can still think some quite magic moments we wouldn't have in a marina. Yes I would like the convenience of a marine but can still make the best of what I have, and with my old boat I can recall several occasions when I would have needed a tow in for the last few hundred metres at most marinas.

Firestone

Visit site
On page 8 of March Issue of MBM, Bembridge Harbour (Isle of Wight) is currently up for sale seeking offers around £3m.Mooring for 600 boats.WHY pay for a marina mooring when you could have your own harbour.:cool:

reginaldon

Visit site
Some in the Club moor during the season and have a marina berth in winter, not wanting to take their masts down for lift-out, I've remained moored during the past two years - too tight to do either!

PS I hesitate to draw your attention to the Mooring thread on the PBO site - of course there are pros and cons.