THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

Greg2

Visit site
Based on several reports I read, upon the next replacement I was thinking to fit them also in my Med-based boat.
Wadduthink?

We switched to aluminium years ago - firstly on a sports cruiser with outdrives kept in salt water and subsequenty on our Broom 41 (shafts) kept in fresh but cruised in salt on holidays. They seem to work well and are the only ones to work in both fresh and salt. Currently have them on our S34 (outdrives) which we use in the same way as the Broom i.e. kept in fresh and cruised in both,

MapisM

Visit site
Thanks, that matches nicely my understanding from other sources.
Based on your experience with the sportcruiser in salt water, did they wear out more or less rapidly than zinc?
Assuming that you tried both, of course - if not, gut feeling is also welcome!

Momac

Visit site
Based on several reports I read, upon the next replacement I was thinking to fit them also in my Med-based boat.
Wadduthink?
A boat that travels between fresh and salt water aluminium anodes are a good solution. For example my boat is based on fresh water ad we make occasional salty water trips. I have been using aluminium anode some years and they seem perfect for the job.

For a boat on salt water Zinc anodes are usually used and if that works why change it ? In salt water I expect aluminium anodes will need changing more often than Zinc but I have no experience of that.

MapisM

Visit site
For a boat on salt water Zinc anodes are usually used and if that works why change it ?
Good point. I'm also a fan of the "if it ain't broke, etc." principle, normally.
But according to many, alu is slightly more protective than zinc also in salt water, and the speed of consumption is similar.
So, I was thinking to give them a shot, all considered.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Without any doubt you should use aluminium anodes.

Martyn That is indeed what I have put on this year but the very experienced firm that did the work on my leg wanted to put Magnesium. It threw me in a real quandary and in the end plumped for Ali

Momac

Visit site
Martyn That is indeed what I have put on this year but the very experienced firm that did the work on my leg wanted to put Magnesium. It threw me in a real quandary and in the end plumped for Ali
You made the right choice.
Magnesium would protect the leg. But might have a very short life in brackish water.
I changed my Aluminium anodes recently after 18 months use . They could have stayed on another couple of years but I had already bought the new anodes so put them on anyway.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
You made the right choice.
Magnesium would protect the leg. But might have a very short life in brackish water.
I changed my Aluminium anodes recently after 18 months use . They could have stayed on another couple of years but I had already bought the new anodes so put them on anyway.

So as I only lift out every 2 years on the Broads you think the Ali anodes will last that long ?

Orthop

Visit site
Has anyone some experience to get a reduction of the insurance costs, if the boat is not used and out of the water in a hall?

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Has anyone some experience to get a reduction of the insurance costs, if the boat is not used and out of the water in a hall?

I doubt it - boatyard fires that destroy large number of boats in sheds is a fairly common risk. There's nothing 'safe' about being in there!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
So for those with boats in the med, given its approaching the start of the season, will you be performing your usual maintenance/servicing this year or will you seek to minimise or defer your annual maintenance costs in anticipation of not being able to use the boat much this year.

What are you thinking?
Julian,

I'd get your maintenance done now. Reasons for doing this:

1) The guys working on the boats still need an income.
2) You don't want to risk an anode dissolving completely and wrecking your outdrive / prop. Even more important is a bellows change.
3) We have no idea how long this shut down state will last.
4) When restrictions are lifted, you don't want to be in a long queue behind other having maintenance done.
5) Some insurers (not Y) stipulate that some things (e.g. losses arising from galvanic corrosion) are excluded unless anodes have had an annual inspection.

Momac

Visit site
So as I only lift out every 2 years on the Broads you think the Ali anodes will last that long ?
On the basis of my experience they will easily last 2 years. I think they did do 4 years once but that was pushing it. I think duoprop anodes can look okay but when you examine them they are a fair bit lighter than the replacements and honeycombed .
I think replacing duoprop anodes every two years as a matter of routine is a good investment.
Bear in mind my boat is kept on fresh water. We were on salty water the best part of a month of last year plus a couple of brackish water trips which is typical of our use over recent years . I am not sure how that compares with your use.
Other factors like the condition of anodes on boats moored near you may also affect anode life .

vas

Visit site
So for those with boats in the med, given its approaching the start of the season, will you be performing your usual maintenance/servicing this year or will you seek to minimise or defer your annual maintenance costs in anticipation of not being able to use the boat much this year.

What are you thinking?
plan was to lift for a week and do a few things that can wait (replace trim tab rams with bennett with indicators, change a 3/4in injection for 1 1/4 and matching seacock)
Having coppercoated most of the hull, only real thing I need to do out of the water is anodes and velox props/shafts.
I can do a lift and hold for a day and do that (almost, wont do a proper velox treatment, but clean and another coat in spray form) or I can do nothing and ask the diver to replace the shaft anodes and carefully clean a bit the props/shafts
If I'm allowed to use the boat in July or August, I'll swim and replace the rest of the anodes and clean the waterline.
Doing all sorts of small jobs inside though now that the weather is turning nice :D

Greg2

Visit site
Thanks, that matches nicely my understanding from other sources.
Based on your experience with the sportcruiser in salt water, did they wear out more or less rapidly than zinc?
Assuming that you tried both, of course - if not, gut feeling is also welcome!

My recollection is that they lasted longer but there was a complicating factor inasmuch as we had a faulty shore power cable that caused corrosion on ours and a neighbours boat when we were on zinc.

BruceK

Visit site
Wadduthink?

In the estuary I'm in it's salt water on the flood and fresh water on the ebb. Well at least the top two feet of it. I was used to replacing zinc anodes every half season with a quick beaching of the boat. Especially the ring anode on the legs which literally would fall off at 3 months. What others didnt eroded away quickly formed a crust rendering the anode inert . Now with aluminium on I can replace most anodes every second year and the ring anode every year. (Stainless steel props which windmill in the tidal current. Windmill as I am sure that also has a factor in this based on something I read but cant quite recall). I am particularly pleased with the aluminium anode performance.

MapisM

Visit site
Thanks folks for your feedbacks.
They pretty much confirm what I understood so far, also from somewhat technical sources.
So much so, that I decided to buy alu anodes for replacing the old zinc ones, while the boat is still on the hard.
God only knows for how long btw, but let's leave aside the sad general situation, for a change.

Anyway, long story short, my only concern was that everybody recommend to use the same material for ALL the anode types fitted to the boat.
Like at the end of this article, just as one example.
So, since I need 5 different anodes in total (shafts, props, rudders, flaps, transom), some of which very specific, I emailed my usual supplier to check if all of them are available also in alu, and as I was fearing the answer has been no.

Bottom line, since I don't feel like shopping around elsewhere, and with no guarantee to find them all anyway, it looks like I'll stick to zinc for now.
Will check again next time...

vas

Visit site
So, since I need 5 different anodes in total (shafts, props, rudders, flaps, transom), some of which very specific, I emailed my usual supplier to check if all of them are available also in alu, and as I was fearing the answer has been no.

quick guess, couldn't provide shaft anodes?

TonyR123

Visit site
My boat maintenance is carrying on as normal. Geny serviced last week. Boat lift first week of April, engines serviced around same time and boat cleaned every 2 weeks.