Tale of a shiney new YM

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
I did the brush up with Southern Sailing. We used a scuffed but sound Westerly Fulmar. Four students and an instructor. The other candidates were less experienced than I am but two of them were going for YM and one for Coastal Skipper. Luckily we became a pretty good team with no inter-personal problems. Our instructor kept the whole thing pretty casual and we did the usual round of places you avoid going to in normal sailing. Power Station Creek at night, blind pilotage using contours, to Eling. Entrance to Beaulieu River and then trips to the Brambles Stake kept us entertained on evening. A trip to W. Cowes marina was livened up by berthing exercises including swinging the 32 ft boat through 180 deg. in a 35ft gap. Ferry gliding using wind against tide was used to pick up a buoy, as was sailing backwards to lay out your anchor chain and depowering the main using the topping lift. How to get onto and off piles buoys and jetties was well covered. The importance of being aware of transits and tidal height was stressed heavily.

The instructor jumps ship on Friday and you spruce up the boat and prepare a meal for the evening while waiting for the examiner to arrive. Food was provided but we thought we'd do a stew and spuds, which went well, with a bottle of red wine. The examiner checks your paperwork and takes your exam fee of £125 (cheques payable to the RYA) and then picks one of you to do the first exercise.

I was first in the barrel so with the half ebb pinning us to a tight berth we back springed out in a more or less controlled way and set off for Bird Pile. There's a back transit to it but the far mark vanishes into the dusk so I used a back bearing. Blind pilotage to Aft Barn means a dash at right angles to the channel to an adjusted for tide 5m contour line. Follow this for a time/distance, stop and get a crew taken bearing on Netley tower. I overran by 100m. The bearing the crew took was inaccurate so that explanation was offered and accepted. When I first stopped I was right on it, but the duff bearing made me run a bit longer. I then had to locate the Power Station Creek outer marker. The next guy took us to Cowes via the Brambles Stake and docked us on Thetis pontoon just before last orders, so we even got a pint in. Yes even examiners like a pint.

Saturday morning started at 07:00 with pontoon bashing under power and picking up moorings. The Coastal candidate took us to a race mark near Newtown and then to Beaulieu River SC. The next guy did sail off the buoy, simulating no diesel, and took us to a specified Osbourne Bay anchorage point marked on the chart leaving Brambles Bank to the south of our track. We went from there to the Royal Southern race mark and I did a leg from there to the Warsash HM pontoon. The final leg from there to our Itchen base was when the grilling on lights, shapes, sounds, and weather started . A few questions on planning a passage, right of way situations and channel hazards like overfalls and we’re shaking hands and I’ve passed, as did the other guys. The examiner gives you a run down on your strengths and any weakness in your technique and your done.

Our examiner was clear and friendly, not hung up on absolute precision but looking for good practical technique and use of your resources. He even taught us a different MOB technique during the test.
Apart from the first hour or so I was able to relax and enjoy the test . I would recommend Southern Sailing, a none profit making organization for an attitude that allows groundings, pontoon bashes and the odd bit of lost kit without fuss. This allows you to push yourself to the limits of depth and distance without fear of criticism. Sure their boats have scars and the food is more nutrition than gourmet but we all agreed we’d had a top week.

I enjoyed sailing with more adept sailors than I normally do. You don’t learn much new stuff if your always the best on the boat so I got a lot out of this week. If your thinking of having a go, show confidence about the boat, do your homework and try it. It’s more fun than you’d think.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
These YMs are a fecund bunch.

They're breeding like randy rabbits. Soon you won't be able to have a decent shipwreck in the Solent without a bunch of certificate-waving rescuers rushing aboard and explaining how you miscalculated the tidal rise harmonics by taking a reciprocal of your backstay tension.

(PS congrats, Mr or Ms Peppermint)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: These YMs are a fecund bunch.

But do they get myxomatosis like rabbits? If so I will not be taking mine! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

c_roff

Visit site
Don\'t put Yachtmasters on a pedastal!

I also did my YM with Southern (Early April this year) and the week and exam followed almost exactly the same format as Peppermint's. I agree entirely with your sentiments about Southern. I thought they were excellent. However, although I passed the exam and the examiner was complimentary about my ability I found the whole experience slightly humbling. Both the course and the exam highlighted just how much I don't know! Even the areas I considered to be my strengths were shown to be capable of plenty of improvement. Presumably if I felt this way with over 30 yrs sailing experience plenty of other YM candidates have felt the same. BUT, If you don't have your YM don't be fooled - there's no black art to it and YM's are certainly no elite. For me having my YM simply confirms that I've achieved a given standard. I'm certain that there are numerous sailors who far exceed the standard of YM but haven't ever felt the need to collect the piece of paper to confirm it. Equally there are doubtless lots of sailors who are in awe of YM holders but unaware that they themselves already exceed the standard required for the piece of paper.
Chris Roff.

<hr width=100% size=1>whistler

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
it is precise for this reason that i intend to do my ym in the solent
and not scotland as did my friend.
there is more tide, river moorings on piles pontoons and allsorts
lots of traffic
alot more contours and sand banks, lights both to navigate by and to obfusticate navigation.
congrats on passing.

as you say it is really just the first step to becoming a better sailor. but well done.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Laurin

Visit site
Re: Don\'t put Yachtmasters on a pedastal!

Know the feeling of it being a humbling experience. Did my exam Tuesday this week on the East Coast. After a week of being ill I hadn't felt up to navigation revision. Wasn't too worried as I'm generally good at maths and had found the shorebased course easy. Lots of practice blind nav over the weekend with successful results meant that I was feeling confident. Also practiced lots of boat handling etc. Things were going well, got out of West Mersea ok, interesting place! Then the blind nav. Imagine my despair when examiner said method was all wrong! Total mind block... Doh! Fortunately I spent a lot of time showing the guy that I fully understood the correct way and I'd never make the same mistake again! Didn't give up but really felt like I'd fluffed it over something stupid. Then suddenly 12 knots of breeze increases to 40+, Reefs, Main Down, Naff all headsail, and a well trained and calm crew revised the guy's opinion of me. I think I got an extra special grilling on weather and col regs and the guy passed me. That was close, though I guess he knew I'd NEVER make the same mistake again. Didn't even feel happy at passing, just relief that I hadn't stuffed it up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Laurin

Visit site

Dunno but he was certainly a showman, he could do better tricks with knots than Houdini. Think he had a direct link with him upstairs as well. Was starting to think somebody had something against me when wind went from 12knots to 40, back to 12 and then back to 35. My crew never had so much practice at reefing. With hindsight though, at least I'll never make the nav mistake again, where-as if my weak point had been boat handling or more general skills this would have been harder to correct.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

I was off Mersea then going round to the Colne. You were a bit unfortunate with the weather to say the least. Going up the Colne to Brightlingsea was like white water rafting! Did you get the hailstones? Luckily, since I was not doing a YM exam I was able to leave the sails stowed and simply motor. I wonder how he'd have reacted if you'd said, sod this for a game of soldiers, we're motoring!

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by JohnM on 16/05/2003 10:12 (server time).</FONT></P>

Laurin

Visit site

Got the hailstones too! Actually think maybe not using the motor earlier might have counted against me as we were in serious risk of not getting the examiner back to west mersea in time for the launch...... think automatic fail if he had had to brave the rubber duck in that stuff!

Only time I almost lost my rag with the crew was when one guy who had not been out in such a blow was switching the wind readout from apparent to true every 30 seconds. I seem to remember saying something like " will you stop doing that, we all know it's f****** windy".

Oh well, alls well that ends well.

<hr width=100% size=1>