Isles of Scilly from Bristol Channel

Bristolfashion

Visit site
There's lots of great advice here about sailing to the IOS from the south coast, but I can't find any discussion of direct routes from the Bristol Channel.

We'll shortly be proceeding down the Bristol Channel on the Somerset/Devon/Cornwall side.

Firstly, is it (for some reason) better to round Lands End & then plan a passage from the south coast?

Otherwise, where are the best jumping off places from the Bristol Channel, any passage / route advice?

We are a 29' Sadler, Bilge Keel, so should be able to access all harbours on the Bristol channel coast. Sailing 2 o.b. We're very happy to anchor, take the ground etc.

As ever, thanks in advance.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Depending on weather then take the ground at St Ives then one leg 45 miles to the scillies going around Lands end really does nothing as it's going to be a similar distance, the problem will really be the wind as it's most likely going to be from the SW. Having said that I only know the North coast from the land so someone else may offer better advice.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
First of all if you can, avoid Padstow. It's a lovely place but it takes a lot of time out of your journey going up and down the river. We tend to do a 12-hour journey from Lundy to st Ives. We catch slack water for an hour and then the tide most of the way. By the time you've got to the next tide it is very weak against you.
St Ives is horrible in any northerly!

If you have never been on the inshore lands end route then it is worth doing it for the interest. You also can catch a counter eddy on the coast from st ives a little while before slack water.
The advantage of going west and rounding the seven stones before heading southwest is that you avoid most of the horrible swell that you get between lands end and Scilly. You also crossed the shipping lanes at right angles rather than on the corner where they take shortcuts. We reckon on nine hours from st Ives to Saint Martin. We anchor up there and enjoy the island. It is about another hour and a half or so depending on which way you go to get to Saint Mary's pool if you need supplies.
I could go on but PM me if you want further info 🙂

lustyd

Visit site
First of all if you can, avoid Padstow. It's a lovely place but it takes a lot of time out of your journey going up and down the river
Agree with this, if you’re not going to Padstow don’t stop at Padstow. It’s a lovely place but really sucks your time and by the time the tide lets you out you’ve missed the tide to make progress down the coast.
St Ives is a surprisingly nice anchorage but beware the fishermen will wake you up early if they want to fish.

Just Me

Visit site
Padstow is well worth a stop in it's own right. 14 hour passge across from Milford, but avoid if much N in the wind. Padstow to St Ives is about 40 miles, so easily done in a tide. If you go Padstow to IOS in one hop, the tide will be against you as you approach Cape Cornwall, and progress gets really slow across to the islands. So if you have the time, Padstow, St Ives and then across, subject to weather. Beware rougher seas to the north of the islands in certain conditions.
Once there...........you will be pleased to have made the effort.

geem

Visit site
We usually go straight from Fishguard or Milford. Do it as an overnighter in the right weather. We sometimes stop at Padstow on the way back up if the weather allows otherwise direct to Milford

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
BTW you can anchor just to the east of the Camel outside the estuary. Coming back I've done that to get the tide right for a two hour Lundy stop and then on to Minehead and Bristol on the next two tides. But that's for speed.

[3889]

Visit site
BTW you can anchor just to the east of the Camel outside the estuary. Coming back I've done that to get the tide right for a two hour Lundy stop and then on to Minehead and Bristol on the next two tides. But that's for speed.
Heading W we normally depart Padstow evening before just before gate rises then anchor off the LB station on E side of Trevose Hd, providing wind/ swell have some S in them.