Inflatable dinghy repair

magicol

Visit site
Discussion about dinghies on another thread got me reflecting about a repair to our inflatable last year. We punctured one section coming ashore on shingle one evening, returned a couple of hours later to find it partially deflated. I had always kept a pump in the dinghy but not a repair kit. Fortunately the pump got us back to our boat safely. It took me several attempts and finally a very big patch to repair the tear sufficiently well to use it later on our cruise. Apart from being more careful than I was, how do forum members avoid getting caught out? Is it possible to permanently patch a dinghy quickly on the beach? The instructions on our repair kit suggests not. What do others use?

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Discussion about dinghies on another thread got me reflecting about a repair to our inflatable last year. We punctured one section coming ashore on shingle one evening, returned a couple of hours later to find it partially deflated. I had always kept a pump in the dinghy but not a repair kit. Fortunately the pump got us back to our boat safely. It took me several attempts and finally a very big patch to repair the tear sufficiently well to use it later on our cruise. Apart from being more careful than I was, how do forum members avoid getting caught out? Is it possible to permanently patch a dinghy quickly on the beach? The instructions on our repair kit suggests not. What do others use?
We had an Avon valve failure so couldn't inflate the dinghy to leave the boat and return to shore. Fortunately we have a spare small inflatable in the locker and that saved the day. After that it would be SUPs....😀. But for your situation carrying a repair kit seems a good idea if no one else about. However emergency bodged repairs might cause big problems, and I would always prefer to do that sort of job in a clean dry environment....at home.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
If a weakly repaired tear bursts in deep water you might drown.

Its best done in a clean environment with controlled temperature. For myself I would only ever have it done by a professional, though I must admit I like the idea of the repair clamp as get one ashore feature (in shallow waters possibly)