Tale of a shiney new YM

graham

Visit site
Re: Don\'t put Yachtmasters on a pedastal!

Kas could you tell us what you did on the blind nav and what you should have done??

I gave it a lot of thought before doing mine and believe that usually the best method is to do an accurate tidal height calculation then use a depth contour if possible.

This works well if your "target"is the entrance channel to somewhere as you zig zag along parrallel to the shore on a contour until the depth suddenly increases and hopefully your in the entrance channel!

I think the most difficult blind nav is to find a buoy ,if you miss it you lose track of where on the contour you are unless your nav is extremely accurate(and your instruments).

PS congratulations on passing,dont beat yourself up for not performing perfectly,nobody does .One of my crewmates managed to stop me hoisting a motorsailing cone before the examiner noticed(it was dark at the time).

Laurin

Visit site

Very stupid mistake..... was navigating towards a buoy about 5Nm away. Needed to work out course to steer and instead of extending required ground track past the mark and then measuring out 5Nm from end of tidal vector I just joined line from end of tidal vector to mark.... STUPID!!!!!! Having said that over the distance shown we would have found the mark anyway, and I do have a habit of compensating for tide/time in my head anyway. Funny though because I remember when doing my shorebased course this was the only part that didn't really make mathmatical sense to me as it takes no consideration of the tide dying/increasing over time. In the end I was within 15 yards of the Buoy so had the examiner not watched me in detail he would never have known. Bit scary that I guess!

Don't feel too bad about the exam now though as I must have done well at everything else for him to pass me, and the navigation is far more easily corrected than boat handling etc.

About the contours, there were areas of relative shallow that we crossed, but no contours that we could have followed.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

<<In the end I was within 15 yards of the Buoy >>
Not bad. Famously people need the autopilot on before they ram the Bench Head!

<hr width=100% size=1>