Swinging mooring yorkshire

Revellers

Visit site
Hi boaters I've been looking for a swinging mooring for my 10mt fin(6ft) keel sail boat. I live in Leeds. The boat is in a yard nr Hull. S. Ferriby. Just looking for a not to expensive mooring. Any ideas would be helpful. Scotland is way to far to travel. I've been looking on the yorkshire east coast but can't find anything. Any ideas would be most appreciated..

Revellers

Visit site
Thanks for the reply Minerva.
I was really looking for the east coast of yorkshire side or further down south. Maybe up a river etc. For what I can see there's nothing that way. It looks bleak. Was hoping not to have to drive to far from Leeds.

trevorr

Visit site
With the exception of Humber mouth yacht club, I don't know of any swing moorings on the Yorkshire coast. Certainly not suitable for a 6ft draft fin keel.

The best solution for a cheapish mooring would be The Humber Yawl Club at Brough / Winteringham.

Other than the above you are really restricted to Hull, Grimsby, Bridlington, Scarborough and Whitby.

Best of luck with your search.

Revellers

Visit site
With the exception of Humber mouth yacht club, I don't know of any swing moorings on the Yorkshire coast. Certainly not suitable for a 6ft draft fin keel.

The best solution for a cheapish mooring would be The Humber Yawl Club at Brough / Winteringham.

Other than the above you are really restricted to Hull, Grimsby, Bridlington, Scarborough and Whitby.

Best of luck with your search.
OK Trevor. Looks like whitby waiting list. Might give the humber yacht club first tho. She on the hard at S. Ferriby. Thanks for the info.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I guess it depends upon your circumstance, retired or only free weekends etc.
It‘s about a four and a half hour drive to the Clyde and about an hour longer to Plymouth.
So after six hours after leaving home and arriving on your Yorkshire mooring you could have been aboard in a far more enjoyable place.

Revellers

Visit site
She was originally in gosport. Looking really 2hr drive max from Leeds . There's the west coast Anglesea. A long way to sail from hull though . I've been looking for couple of years. Looks like the main east coast ports brid ect . S Ferriby is fine. For the storage. I'm just putting out the feelers if there's any options closer to home. I think Trevorr has come up with the suitible options.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
She was originally in gosport. Looking really 2hr drive max from Leeds . There's the west coast Anglesea. A long way to sail from hull though . I've been looking for couple of years. Looks like the main east coast ports brid ect . S Ferriby is fine. For the storage. I'm just putting out the feelers if there's any options closer to home. I think Trevorr has come up with the suitible options.
My nearest ports are Hull or Liverpool. I choose to drive 5 hours to Pembrokeshire instead

Reactions: FWB

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Unfortunately, while in all other respects God's own county, Yorkshire is a bit of a desert sailing-wise (born and bred in the woollen district; mainly in Dewsbury!). There are, as others have noted, possibilities on the river Humber - but havingsailed there when I was a boy, it can get very old very quickly going one way with the tide and then back the other, with the scenery consisting of mud banks! The tidal stream in the Humber is such that it is impractical to go against it.

If you're looking for a swinging mooring, I think you're out of luck. Bridlington and Scarborough are both too shallow for you (Bridlington dries), and in any case the space appears to be mostly given up to pontoon berths. Whitby has no swinging moorings; it's all alongside or pontoon berths.

WHhen I was a boy, my father's solution was to move to Dunbar. That was viable for a 5' draft in those days, but the harbour has silted up a lot since then. You might find something in Durham or Northumberland, but again, there are few places where a mooring is available.; mostly it's pontoons.

boomerangben

Visit site
It’s a long time since I’ve been to Scarborough but when my dad had a boat there, there were plenty of members of the yacht club who were from you neck of the woods. The east harbour had many keel boats which had home made floating cradles to cope with the drying part of the harbour. It might be worth contacting the Scarborough Yacht Club for some advice

markspark7

Visit site
There were a few moorings available just outside Hull , on the Humber towards Goole but I can't remember the sail club. I do remember it was very cheap, at around less than £200 a year for a 23ft boat.
Other options would be Goole marina , or Scarborough as others have said. Scarborough outer harbour is ok but not accessible at low tide if you want to do work unless you have big waders or wait on your boat for the tide to go down. Scarborough outer harbour usually as spaces available but just check at the harbour office. Scarborough BC operate Whitby as well but there is usually a waiting list for Whitby. You could try Bridlington, or over on the west coast you could try Fiddlers ferry . Avoid Liverpool like the plague ! High prices and shit service.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I know moving your boat would be quite an ‘adventure’, but the west coast ports from Liverpool to Glasson are well within your 2 hour travel limit. There are several cheap if rather esoteric mooring options (River Alt?) in the area, but somewhere like Glasson is more conventional and affordable if not actually ‘cheap’.

Marceline

Visit site
was just going to mention Glasson or Preston :)

There's also Douglas Marine on the River Douglas tributary to the Ribble a few miles before Preston