Submarines

capnsensible

Visit site
If my diesel exhaust looked like that I'd be getting my engine seen to as I'd think it was on its last legs.
I suppose in one way steam is actually involved from the heated up cooling water, just like your far smaller engine. Smells the same though....

And will be maintained far more often.

Halo

Visit site
Big drift but has anyone seen a submarine snorkel speeding past?
I did a Charter in Turkey in June this year. A Turkish navy ship indicated we should alter course and then we saw an assembly of pipes sticking out of the water and ripping past us. Scary !

Aja

Visit site
I did a Charter in Turkey in June this year. A Turkish navy ship indicated we should alter course and then we saw an assembly of pipes sticking out of the water and ripping past us. Scary !
Been quite surprised to be overtaken by a Periscope in the Inner Sound a few years ago. No idea where the 'shepherd boat' which normally ushers you towards Raasay was, but fair gave me a fright.

PeterV

Visit site
The submarine is carrying out a ‘cold move’ meaning the reactor plant is shut down so it’s running the diesel generators. As the cooling water is discharged into the exhaust it’s a combination of diesel exhaust and water vapour, in fact exactly the same as most boat exhausts!

capnsensible

Visit site
Periscope. So they can see the fear in your eyes........ :eek:

Aja

Visit site
The submarine is carrying out a ‘cold move’ meaning the reactor plant is shut down so it’s running the diesel generators. As the cooling water is discharged into the exhaust it’s a combination of diesel exhaust and water vapour, in fact exactly the same as most boat exhausts!
Thanks for that.

arc1

Visit site
Been quite surprised to be overtaken by a Periscope in the Inner Sound a few years ago. No idea where the 'shepherd boat' which normally ushers you towards Raasay was, but fair gave me a fright.
Have been on the other side, always wondered what other people thought if they saw us!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

Back in the 80’s frequently in the Firth of Clyde. On one memorable occasion, during a NATO exercise, off Arran, there was a lot of pinging in the yacht’s hull as this frigate searched for a submarine.

Later we saw what looked like a tin can on a stick pop up and move through the water. Quite small and black.

Later again, right behind the boat, a large grey tube appeared, definitely a large periscope, staring right at the stern of the yacht.

At that point, the frigates turbines were heard whining as the vessel turned towards us. It circled the yacht with the loudness of the pinging becoming very noticeable. Later a yellow smoke signal appeared in the water near the Holy Isle. Maybe the sub was virtually depth charged.

The boat I sailed on was well known to those at Faslane. Exciting times back then. It is all a bit bland now.