Steel boat build - Almarine 1200fa

colhel

Visit site
There is a school of thought that steel boats don’t need to be faired! There’s no problem with being able to see the welds - cos it’s a steel boat!
What like this you mean? ?
This was a boat my Uncle knocked up in a few weeks when he had a boat building business many years ago. That's me on the tiller, I'm 55 in a few weeks ?img509.jpg

Last edited:

colhel

Visit site
Perfectly functional and I’m sure delivered plenty of fun ??
You were also pretty fortunate to have use of it too!
Yes very fortunate, I think the first time I took it out on my own I was 12yrs old. IIRC at the time, if a boat had a roof you had to be 14yrs old to be covered by insurance, 12 if not.
That does not look any different than the electric hire boats we seen in Giethoorn
Briefly, the story behind the photo, my Grandparents started a hire boat business and after my Grandfather died in about 1971, my Uncle started a boat building business and built a hire fleet of around 10 boats, but this was the only open top one. She was called Flip and had a hand cranked Stuart Turner engine.

dustywings

Visit site
I haven't commented so far but am really loving this thread, one of the best in a long time. Utter admiration for your vision, determination and of course skills. The boat is looking like a superbly finished craft already! Great work and thank you so much for taking the time to write it all up!

JOHNPEET

Visit site
I haven't commented so far but am really loving this thread, one of the best in a long time. Utter admiration for your vision, determination and of course skills. The boat is looking like a superbly finished craft already! Great work and thank you so much for taking the time to write it all up!

Very kind words indeed! Thank you.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
So it was now time to start work on the internal fit out.

The steel structure for the floors had been completed prior to the external paint, along with any other welding that needed to be completed on the inside so as not to damage the paint finish with the heat etc.

Todays photos show the aft cabin epoxy primer having been completed. I chose to use white for the finish colour beneath the floor level so that it would make it easier to see any leaks etc that may develop when the vessel is eventually in use. Above the floor level, it depended on whatever colours that I had to hand at the time, but it was the usual four coats with alternated colours to make the application easier.

As the paint on the exterior of the hull had been completed, it meant that the interior had to be completed by a combination of brush and roller. I also had a fairly sizeable extract fan running throughout to make sure there was a good rate of air change to avoid any problems with the isocyanate!

You may notice the holes drilled in the floor structure - these were 10mm diameter in readiness for bolting the 50mm x 20mm timber firings which the internal linings are attached to. The epoxy primer was worked into each of the holes which then left about an 8mm hole - just sufficient for a nylon shouldered washer and a 6mm dia stainless countersunk Allen bolt and nylon nut.
In total, 1600 x 10mm dia holes were drilled! Firstly with a centre drill, then opened up to 8mm and finally to 10mm! Yes, it made my head hurt too!

There’s also a couple of photos of the forward section of the boat with the epoxy primer being applied and completed

56868B8F-D2E1-4BDA-A224-08EF0CA5F357.jpeg84DF07CD-61EF-4023-B4BD-30975AEEA4BE.jpeg0CA5D897-AEE9-4684-BA70-EF78BE8F1D69.jpeg9BB22F35-DA35-403E-BC4E-EE2CBC996DB4.jpeg60688F21-10DC-4E67-8F5B-3F27DD137201.jpegBB646E19-5721-4BF0-BE3B-674765420D9D.jpeg70B1ADAC-4B24-4697-8751-9C6681DB3465.jpeg69304F2C-9985-403B-8027-6213F96BDCFD.jpeg7DB45E89-E6D7-4814-9D6A-4FF1AF11A07C.jpeg

Mr Googler

Visit site
Now there’s a question to open a debate! ??

….. of the two camps, I fell into the - twin engines, you won’t need a bow thruster camp! Time will tell!
That’s the best camp ??

plus you have a steel boat…..you’ll be alright. The thin grp french trawler you squash won’t be….Que Sera, Sera

Bouba

Visit site
That’s the best camp ??

plus you have a steel boat…..you’ll be alright. The thin grp french trawler you squash won’t be….Que Sera, Sera
You don’t have to crash into a GRP boat to destroy it...just park next to one in your metal boat and watch its anodes fizz away followed by its running gear..

Mr Googler

Visit site
You don’t have to crash into a GRP boat to destroy it...just park next to one in your metal boat and watch its anodes fizz away followed by its running gear..
Where does Porto park?

mind you….all his underwater gear is made from gold so he’ll be fine ?

Greg2

Visit site
Now there’s a question to open a debate! ??

….. of the two camps, I fell into the - twin engines, you won’t need a bow thruster camp! Time will tell!

For many years owning twin engined boats I was scornful of bow thrusters, deeming them to be entirely unnecessary. Then we got a boat that had one and it was a bit of a struggle between my (frankly ridiculous) principles and temptation in a tight spot. Having now come to terms with things I see bow (and stern) thrusters as a tool to be used whenever they are helpful - and they can be very helpful occasionally! ?