Splicing the mainbrace

Wansworth

Visit site
I do most of mine.

To be fair, if I was unable to maintain our vessel myself, I cant afford to keep it.

The time is not far off when we must downsize to a smaller, easier to look after boat.

We will miss the space and build quality, that is for sure!
Lots of changes in Littlehampton,used to work there and sail from Arun yacht club…….looks like it’s gone up market😂

flaming

Visit site
I do a lot of mine, specifically the control lines etc. However the backstay purchase is all spliced dynema and needs replacing this winter, and whilst I am more than capable of doing that job, I have decided that a rigger is going to replace it. He splices every day, I don't....

Stemar

Visit site
I learned to splice in the scouts, but splicing the mainbrace had to wait for a few years...

I got curious about how the expression came into being:

For a naval officer, it was considered good form to reward the ship’s company with a drink after hazardous or difficult task aboard ship.

Originally, it was an order for one of the most difficult emergency repair jobs aboard a sailing ship; it later became a euphemism for authorized celebratory drinking afterward, and then the name of an order to grant the crew an extra ration of rum or grog.

The mainbrace ran from the main yard to the deck and was used to position the yard to which was attached the main sail of a square-rigged sailing warship.

As the main sail was the largest and most important sail, the main brace was the largest and heaviest piece of rigging and was constructed using thick quality cordage. For example, on a first rate man-o-war such as HMS Victory the main brace was five inches (13cm) in diameter.

Gunners in battle commonly aimed for the ship’s rigging during naval battles, with the mainbrace being the prime target.

Therefore, any damage to this piece of rigging needed to be repaired as rapidly but also correctly as possible.

As the main brace ran through a number of blocks it could not be repaired with a short splice or a knot. The Boatswain would supervise a group of the most experienced Able Seamen to complete the repair task by splicing a long piece of hemp rope.

The ends of the main brace would be unravelled and a piece of new rope woven in. This could be a hard and long task and also very dangerous if the ship was in combat. Without a main brace the warship could not change course.

On completion of the task, it was customary for the men to be rewarded with an extra ration of rum.

Eventually the order “Splice the mainbrace” came to mean that the crew would receive an extra ration of rum, and was issued on special occasions: after victory in battle, the change of a monarch, a royal birth, a royal wedding or an inspection of the fleet.
Splice the Mainbrace — National Museum of the Royal New Zealand Navy.

johnalison

Visit site
Eventually the order “Splice the mainbrace” came to mean that the crew would receive an extra ration of rum, and was issued on special occasions: after victory in battle, the change of a monarch, a royal birth, a royal wedding or an inspection of the fleet.
Splice the Mainbrace — National Museum of the Royal New Zealand Navy.
It is fortunate that our royals provide a reason to do a bit of splicing at 6pm every day, even if it is only to celebrate the expat status of some.

Skylark

Visit site
Re splicing the main brace. My go-to reference for such matters is The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea. Its entry reads:-

A traditional term in the British Navy meaning to serve out an additional tot of grog to a ship's crew. The main brace itself was a purchase attached to the main lower yard of a square rigged ship to brace the yard round to the wind. However, it probably has little to do with the saying beyond the fact that hauling on the main brace called for a maximum effort by the crew. In the days of sail the main brace was spliced, in terms of drink, in very bad weather or after a period of severe exertion by the crew, more as a pick-me-up than for any other purpose.

johnalison

Visit site
It was click bait😂
OK then. Re splicing itself, I have been able to do splices in 3-ply rope and sailmakers' whipping since I was a child and have sometimes spliced braided line. I have the kit for doing cored rope but for critical jobs like halyards prefer to get it done neatly and professionally. I agree that sailors should be able to do the basics.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
OK then. Re splicing itself, I have been able to do splices in 3-ply rope and sailmakers' whipping since I was a child and have sometimes spliced braided line. I have the kit for doing cored rope but for critical jobs like halyards prefer to get it done neatly and professionally. I agree that sailors should be able to do the basics.
I learnt to do braid-on-braid, but still need the book next to me. My results are quite tidy. Like you, I learnt splicing laid ropes when knee-high to a grasshopper!

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I didn't learn splicing 3-strand til I was an adult, but I enjoy it and am confident at it (occasionally I need to double-check how to start if I've had a long break). Braid-on-braid I am not very confident with, though I have a good book on it. I would love to do a really good class. Has anyone done one (in the UK) that they'd recommend? (or any to avoid?)

michael_w

Visit site
Brion Toss' The Rigger's Apprentice
shopping

When you're feeling ambitious
shopping

DanTribe

Visit site
I have always been able to do my own ropework, known as sailorising,. However I'm struggling to do a good end to end splice on my Sailspar continuous line reefing. Can't get it to lay neatly. Going to try 3rd attempt soon.
Riggers make it look so easy.
Splice the mainbrace I'm fine with!

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation of the Rigger's Apprentice michael_w. I have the Ashley book, love it, it's not really into braid-on-braid :) I have Splicing Modern Ropes. I think some of these things are probably easier to learn confidently when taught in person, hence my search for a class. There are a few around but I haven't fitted one in yet. I bet I'm not the only person who hasn't acquired a casual mastery of braid-on-braid splicing, I'm not surprised about people ordering things like spliced loops made up - I would for a new really critical one..

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Braid on braid is a tough splice to do. Luckily we don’t use any. I’m maybe only slightly ashamed that any splicing on Chiara I have not troubled to splice the cover, just the Dyneema core. That is very easy, and both neater and stronger than a knot. I think if the boat were more traditional, I'd take more trouble.

lustyd

Visit site
Braid on braid is a tough splice to do
It's nothing compared to splicing Marlowbraid, which you'd think would be the same but it's actually completely different and additionally has a very tight sheath. My favourite these days is cruising dyneema because it has an intermediary layer that gets removed so there's plenty of space to work inside the rope.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Brion Toss' The Rigger's Apprentice
shopping

When you're feeling ambitious
shopping
I like the new cover on Ashley - I can do the trick knot the sailor is demonstrating! At least, I haven't done it for a while (it's of no practical use) and might need to practice a little, but I know how it's done! My copy is pretty ancient - I got it in my teens - so it just has plain cloth boards.