some pics from 1st & 2nd October..what a weekend!

Firefly625

Visit site
Just thought I would share a few random snaps. Couldn't get down to the boat until Saturday am, but was off down the Hamble by about 1045 ish. Followed a nice large FB called Spottydog (I assume of this forum), certainly nice chap on the helm waved so perhaps there was some internet recognition going on...! :D

Off to Chichester, 1st Oct... weather better than August!

DSCF5665.jpg

passed these going up north channel;

DSCF5675.jpg

DSCF5673.jpg

Then something a bit bigger;

DSCF5679.jpg

DSCF5681.jpg

Then into Chichester, overheard mayday relay on the way as small 12ft inflatable (Red-gem? ) 1km off Chichester with outboard engine failure was struggling to get solent CG, as we approached Chichester harbour Patrol was speeding to the rescue so panic over..

Met friends as we approached East head (our planned meeting point)

DSCF5682.jpg

very busy... but found a spot;

DSCF5685.jpg

DSCF5692.jpg

DSCF5706.jpg

Off to Chi marina for the evening and for our usual first of the month Indian takaway! very nice..

In the morning around 10am went to settle up and chap ahead of us was getting lock out number, so we followed suit and got allocated 26 & 27. They were currently locking out upto number 7... we both needed fuel, but just over an hour later we were off out the lock..by the time we left they were issuing numbers in the 80's! :eek: I think they would have been on free-flow by then!

Next day, 2nd October who would have thought the weather would have been sooo good. Daughter & friends swam right round the two boats.. played on the beach and on the whole had a great day.. left Chichester at 3.35pm and back in Hamble river by 4.40pm, so just over the hour... a really memorable weekend made even better by spending it with some good friends..

DSCF5712.jpg

Also worked out over the last 13hours running, quite a bit of it at a decent cruising speed we averaged 12.5 LPH so quite happy with that...

Washed boat off, packed up and was home by 7.30pm... really would have liked to have stayed a couple more days!

JulianBall

Visit site
1st & 2nd October..what a weekend!

Great Pics....Great weekend.....

Glad to see Billy's genoa is rolled away.....so you can't see the tear in it !

Imi helmed most the way home.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
hi james n family....looks like you all had a brill time...do your kids drink antifreeze?? sun was great but i bet the water was -4/5 give or take!!!.....hope to be down with Thanks Mum over 15th/16th how about you ??

JulianBall

Visit site

Hello James,

Nah, just bored auditing very old out of support servers.......so having a break and a little day dreaming.

Firefly625

Visit site
hi james n family....looks like you all had a brill time...do your kids drink antifreeze?? sun was great but i bet the water was -4/5 give or take!!!.....hope to be down with Thanks Mum over 15th/16th how about you ??

Hi Steve, I must admit I didn't venture into the water... but the speed at which they swam round and jumped back out again was impressive!! :D

Hope to be down 15&16th.. we are not about this weekend so hopefully that may mean I get a pass out for then!! ??

z1ppy

Visit site
Lovely pictures! weekend weather was just fantastic!!! great to be able to get use so late in the season!

Aviator is ashore at the moment and will be until at least 18th when i return. Hopefully we will catch up later in the month when she goes back in!

as for SpottyDog.... less said the better!! :D

Fantasie 19

Visit site
"Billy" has a mooring just across the way from me - in fact I think I saw her come in on Sunday afternoon as I was clearing away (went over and stopped in front of the pub for a couple of minutes..)

It was a lovely day - remember it as it'll feel like a million years ago in February... :eek:

JulianBall

Visit site

Fantasie,

I sometimes use the quay to unload kids and dogs etc....but it was a very quick turn around this time, because there was not much water under me.

My rudder touch something ( trolley, nissan micra, lump of concrete ?) as I left.

I saw you on board, and the way you were listing, I think you were cleaning something, I thought you were already aground, which had me worried for a minute.

carlton

Visit site
Nice pics - ta. It was indeed a fantastic weekend - as you say, more like the July/August days of the past. Strange that, once again, this year the best weather for boating has been in the spring and autumn.

Firefly625

Visit site
Nice pics - ta. It was indeed a fantastic weekend - as you say, more like the July/August days of the past. Strange that, once again, this year the best weather for boating has been in the spring and autumn.

If I remember rightly we were in Island Harbour on 9th& 10th April and thinking it was more like July... last weekend 1st & 2nd October was just the same... indeed nowadays you need to launch early and lift out late as you might just miss some great weekends! :)

Firefly625

Visit site
Wonderful series of photos capturing the last days of a late summer. :) That anchorage looked very busy.

It was very busy, had one boat ahead of us drag their anchor & there was no one on board, classic high tide error, anchor dangling vertically bumping along the bottom. Chap came back just in time, he had spotted us standing on deck staring at his boat and was wandering what was up!

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Yep it was me, managed to get a snap of you too :)
Sorry its a bit dark, I haven't really go the hang of this upload lark.....

Last edited:

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
That must have been just about the best boating day I have ever had. It was hot, it was flat, it was quite quiet and it remained cloudless and virtually windless for the entire day. Combine that with a near perfect timed tide and it was boating heaven!

IMGP7780.JPG

IMGP7782.JPG

IMGP7783.JPG

IMGP7784.JPG

IMGP7785.JPG

IMGP7788.JPG

IMGP7791.JPG

IMGP7793.JPG

IMGP7795.JPG

IMGP7796.JPG

IMGP7799.JPG

IMGP7803.JPG

IMGP7806.JPG

IMGP7805.JPG

IMGP7808.JPG

IMGA0376.JPG

So it was Poole-Christchurch-Needles-Poole in an open American Bowrider without sinking, breaking up or bursting in flames!

Video