Seakeeper usage

TonyR123

Visit site
I had an error message the other day on my seakeeper 5 (cannot remember the warning message itself) and it would not start. Anyway I needed 2 new accumulators and all in with fitting, service, etc was €1800. Accumulators themselves I think were about €500 each inc tax.

The guy who fitted them said I should not run the seakeeper 5 unlocked when doing over 10 knots as this has caused the issue. I used to start it up, wait 30 mins, unlock it and off I go. In future will only use it at anchor. Not sure it is the same for the bigger models or not.

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I had an error message the other day on my seakeeper 5 (cannot remember the warning message itself) and it would not start. Anyway I needed 2 new accumulators and all in with fitting, service, etc was €1800. Accumulators themselves I think were about €500 each inc tax.

The guy who fitted them said I should not run the seakeeper 5 unlocked when doing over 10 knots as this has caused the issue. I used to start it up, wait 30 mins, unlock it and off I go. In future will only use it at anchor. Not sure it is the same for the bigger models or not.
He's talking bollox.

TonyR123

Visit site
I have to admit I was surprised that was said as I was not aware of anything like that and does not say anything on the website. Not quite sure if this applies to the 5 only or 5 and smaller.

vas

Visit site
Do you know what type of accumulators were they?
I wasn't aware that seakeeper use hydraulics in their system!

V

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I wasn't aware that seakeeper use hydraulics in their system!

Yup they do. The precession movement (ie fore/aft) is actuated with a hydraulic cylinder

Going back to the OP's question, IMHO its bollox. Seakeeper advertise the fact that their gyros provide stabilisation under way not just at rest and it is completely ridiculous to suggest that it has to be locked out above 10kts. My suspicion is that the installer is trying to wriggle out of a warranty claim

FWIW, I have had a SK9 fitted in my boat since 2017. I always start it up before I leave the marina and leave it running for the whole of my journey, firstly to provide some stabilisation under way but mainly so that its ready to provide stabilisation from the minute I drop the hook in some anchorage otherwise I would have to wait 40mins for it to spool up to speed

TonyR123

Visit site
Like you Mike I have had the seakeeper fitted since 2017, using it exactly as you do and have had no issues until now. Having it running is fine, just not unlocked - according to the engineer. I was not there but am sure it was stated that this does not apply to the larger ones - what the difference is between them I dont know. I doubt I will have the boat for another 5 years so I guess I will never know if only unlocking it less than than 10 knots has any impact.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Like you Mike I have had the seakeeper fitted since 2017, using it exactly as you do and have had no issues until now. Having it running is fine, just not unlocked - according to the engineer. I was not there but am sure it was stated that this does not apply to the larger ones - what the difference is between them I dont know. I doubt I will have the boat for another 5 years so I guess I will never know if only unlocking it less than than 10 knots has any impact.

OK but I still think its the wrong advice. I believe that Seakeeper advises that the gyro is locked if youre planning to use aggressive manouevres whilst driving the boat but I take it you cruise in straight lines like the rest of us:). I certainly havent seen any advice differentiating between the larger and smaller gyros but obviously if youre planning to drive your boat aggressively its likely to be in a smaller boat with a smaller gyro

If it was me I'd be contacting Seakeeper in the USA for some definitive advice on your installation and I'd be interested to know what their response is because it might affect all SK owners on here

TonyR123

Visit site
OK but I still think its the wrong advice. I believe that Seakeeper advises that the gyro is locked if youre planning to use aggressive manouevres whilst driving the boat but I take it you cruise in straight lines like the rest of us:). I certainly havent seen any advice differentiating between the larger and smaller gyros but obviously if youre planning to drive your boat aggressively its likely to be in a smaller boat with a smaller gyro

If it was me I'd be contacting Seakeeper in the USA for some definitive advice on your installation and I'd be interested to know what their response is because it might affect all SK owners on here

Like you I am not sure the advice is correct. Am sure I use my gyro the same as everyone else. Switch on, unlock, drive off, once at sea open the throttles and drive in a straight line, then anchor. Have emailed them

jointventureII

Visit site
We have 2 on a Pershing 108, and were told

1) they'd not be effective over 25 knots (cruise is 32...)
2) at about the same speed, the water passes the hull too fast to allow much cooling water to enter

Having tested, both were bollox.

Seakeepers are great bits of kit but bloody hell they're expensive.

TonyR123

Visit site
emailed seakeeper and they already got back to me, which I thought was pretty good over a weekend. Anyway reply was:

"The seakeeper can be used no problem at all speeds. If it is subjected to a lot of vertical G forces it will automatically shut itself down to protect itself. ".

So will carry on as normal!

Portofino

Visit site
emailed seakeeper and they already got back to me, which I thought was pretty good over a weekend. Anyway reply was:

"The seakeeper can be used no problem at all speeds. If it is subjected to a lot of vertical G forces it will automatically shut itself down to protect itself. ".

A seakeeper and IPS if my memory serves me correctly.Sounds an interesting combo going Fwds .
What were you expecting them to say ?
What you really need is the parts inventory stock through put for the items that you have had replaced.
Ask the engineers ?

Reactions: vas

aquatom

Visit site
Only combo I can have as they dont recommend fins for IPS. IPS has been faultless so far and this is the only issue so far for the seakeeper. So more than happy with that
We fitted Humphree fins to a Sunseeker predator 57 a few years ago. It was the perfect combination. The ride is fantastic (far better than the 57s on shafts with side power fins)

jrudge

Visit site
I got quote from Humphree - they were the most expensive option - more than hydraulic fins or a sea keeper.

I could not understand how the simplest option ( electric motors) was the most expensive

D

Deleted User YDKXO

??