Ow Much !

oldgit

Visit site
Biggish event on Saturday. Taking a few RNA folks on quick trip out in company with 5 other boats.
Popped down to boat which fortunately is only 10 mins away to check water and alcohol levels.
On a whim, decided to start engines, one refused to start.
Expecting the worst did some checks, batteries all OK and started to suspect a impossible get at starter motor.
Purely by accident a passing skipper stuck his head down the engine compartment and suggested that an easy to get at :)small relay might be the problem ?
Sure enought it was clicking but not passing the required 12V to the starter motor.
Applying 12v direct from battery with lot sof sparks prompted the engine to start.
It took an hour of heat and cursing to get 2 little 10 mm bolts to let go and remove the relay.
Rang a well known Essex firm to find out they wanted just under £190.00 :ROFLMAO: plus postage and NO they did not have one in stock.
Internet search produce a firm in IOM with one in stock 25% cheaper inc P&P .............its on its way.
The VERY offending item.
" Minion" fans might remember the revenge of the teeny weeny toilet....this is teeny weeny relay.

Last edited:

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
When you say relay are you referring to the (pre-engage) starter motor solenoid which “piggy-backs” on the side of the motor or a separate relay that just supplies 12V to the solenoid from the ignition switch. If the latter then a Halfords automotive relay (of the correct current value) should do the trick.
If the former isn’t a new motor from Keypart about that price?

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
When you say relay are you referring to the (pre-engage) starter motor solenoid which “piggy-backs” on the side of the motor or a separate relay that just supplies 12V to the solenoid from the ignition switch. If the latter then a Halfords automotive relay (of the correct current value) should do the trick.
If the former isn’t a new motor from Keypart about that price?
Yes, a separate gold plated diamond encrusted relay no doubt bourne in by host of angels direct from the Yanmar vaults.
Did consider fitting a suitable generic relay but of course it would not be in that special shade of "Yanmar Silver" .
Basically a temporary lapse of financial reason not unknown in the world of boating ?

Fire99

Visit site
Holy moly!!! I want to become a relay supplier... NickMar relays.. And you get an extra coat of gold paint for free. :D

Greg2

Visit site
I think the clue to the price is the word Yanmar - they have invented a pricing structure for parts that bears no relation to reality! 😉

vas

Visit site
is it sealed? at that price I'd try v.hard to open it up and see if I can clean the spike damage on the contacts and put it back together!

when my yanmar 2GMF starter died, I first took it off (some pics must be here from 8-9yrs ago!) it was so buggered that no one would touch it. Then checked prices online, freaked out, put it back together and took it to a car/truck electrician shop. They spent half an hour going around their stock until they found one that fitted, was something like 1/3 to 1/4 of the genuine item...

DavidJ

Visit site
is it sealed? at that price I'd try v.hard to open it up and see if I can clean the spike damage on the contacts and put it back together!

when my yanmar 2GMF starter died, I first took it off (some pics must be here from 8-9yrs ago!) it was so buggered that no one would touch it. Then checked prices online, freaked out, put it back together and took it to a car/truck electrician shop. They spent half an hour going around their stock until they found one that fitted, was something like 1/3 to 1/4 of the genuine item...
The problem with these things that at the time you just want to get back on the water. In the cold light of day and with time you strip down the old one and realise it’s just bit of resistance build up on the contacts. It was clicking so the coil was OK. Two minute with emery paper and job done.
We’ve all been there.
….another spare in the locker!

Reactions: vas

oldgit

Visit site

Did try to dissemble it in situ only two little baby screws holding the thing together they came out with ease and what could possibly possibly go wrong ?
relay.jpg
snapped a TINY little impossible to resolder wire the thickness of my patience and a human hair.

• Wow
Reactions: vas

DavidJ

Visit site
The problem is of course finding the one that will cope with the significant starter solenoid current. The solenoid has two coils. For a mid size marine engine I’d suggest there would be an initial pull in one of approx 50A and a holding one (when the drive gear is fully meshed and cranking) of approx 10A…..I’m thinking your very thin wire is this one.

Last edited: