Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

prv

Visit site
much as I like the sound of your phone ( that didn't come out right, did it ?! ) I'd prefer to sit down with the almanac and look at the times and flows along the route etc.

Fair enough. I thought if you just wanted something simple like "which weekends have HW Portsmouth mid-morning" I could have a quick look.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
I don't mean to cause any ill feeling, if one looks before my question yesterday it seems clear a date was yet to be decided upon, I did look before asking; as Russell and Phill are indisposed I was asked to suggest dates, on the simple basis that I was daft enough to ask !

I will try to come up with a few choices, but I do think April 6th is too early; my club usually launches at the end of March, and over the last few years there has been the occasional blizzard then !

Plus we need time to get boats and selves up to speed; however as I mentioned I am well aware that within reason the best weather is early in the season nowadays, just maybe not that early !

This was 2008;

launch20083_zps4713107e.jpg

lustyd

Visit site
Plus we need time to get boats and selves up to speed

I fear you may be overestimating just how organised any of us were last year. If it floats and can drift with the tide then stand on it and you'll get there. Fill it with wine and you'll get there and be popular :)
Myself and Giblets had a racewhile drifting to Yarmouth last year. Clearly his boat had considerably more drag because he won :D (Disclaimer: it may have been my furry hull causing me to lose, my fuzzy mind is blocking the memory)

lustyd

Visit site
It seems last year was 3rd-7th may (looking at dates of pictures) so earlier than that would be a bonus to avoid the easterlies and general early May weather. I don't recall better weather since but have much evidence of better weather before.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Sorry, but I've been a bit distant. My health deteriorated a bit so need another angioplasty, and I'm fighting an election. Don't ask!

I'm going to be in Morbihan in early May, but may even leave Zephyr ove there and go back for a second week, therefore ruling out all of May for me.

Seajet

Visit site
I'm picking up a mid-late April vibe here ! :)

Picking up an almanac later this Saturday morning, also seeing Lodders ( Centaur 'Dilemna' ) and Giblets hopefully.

I only launch at the very end of March but can have Silent Running reasonably ready.

What I want to avoid for all of us is unprepared boats and people mixing it with Hurst Narrows and to a lesser extent Hengistbury ledge and Poole entrance, I've bimbled around these places in shorts & T shirts most of the time but if things go awry with a quick change in the weather, watch out !

Zagato

Visit site
School Easter hols are the first two weeks of April for us which will free up time for me to prepare and get used to the new boat prior to the rally. The waters/harbours maybe quieter in the second half of the month also - not sure.

I'm flexible anyway, just give me a shout, thanks for doing the groundwork Seajet :) Look forward to it :D

Zagato

Visit site
Sorry, but I've been a bit distant. My health deteriorated a bit so need another angioplasty, and I'm fighting an election. Don't ask!

I'm going to be in Morbihan in early May, but may even leave Zephyr ove there and go back for a second week, therefore ruling out all of May for me.

Hope you get back on your feet Ru88ell ;)

Seajet

Visit site
Zagato,

ta for that; important intelligence like school holidays ( and other plagues to avoid ) is just the sort of thing I'm normally happy to be ignorant of, but well worth avoiding on the trip if possible I'd think; will swot up in a mo', just got back from an extremely wet time at the boats.

Met Lodders and, for the first time, Giblets who is as expected a thoroughly decent type...

Seajet

Visit site
Hi chums,

how about this ? Entirely suggestion only, but I must say the tides ain't great for the whole of April into May.

All times BST

27th April

HW Portsmouth 13:07

West going tide 12:00 - 17:00

Low water Poole 18:13

Go straight to Studland and await the flood; faster motoring boats will be able to punch the last of the ebb and get to the marina earlier in the afternoon.

This gets us to the marina a bit later than I would have liked, but still daylight and it does allow plenty of time for slower boats.

Those coming from Chichester would be best off punching the last of the flood on the Friday - HW 12:24 - to be at the Bar Beacon around 11:00 to catch the W going tide, it's a long haul to Yarmouth unless the wind is ideal.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Giblets

Visit site
That date & the times seem OK to me, SJ. Will probably do as last year i.e. Langstone to Cowes on Thursday and Cowes to Yarmouth on Friday to be ready to fall of the edge of the world on Saturday! :D