Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
Put me down as well, please. Probably single handing my Snapdragon 24, but I'll have new sails, so I may be able to keep up :rolleyes:

Stemar and others,

obviously we have to wait to nearer the time, but I'm sure I can find crew - mostly experienced, not saying you're not - to go along with you if you want some company.

Andy

colhel

Visit site
A quick glance at the tide times looks like (Ithink) Solent to Poole with the tide, but the return journey against tide. So, might be worth deciding a date based upon fast or slow tides. Also, maybe, breaking the return trip with a visit to Christchurch.

Seajet

Visit site
Colhel,

please think twice or more before considering Christchurch as plan B or even Z !

I have been past there under sail many times, but when I was there by road buying a dinghy I stopped by the harbour mouth for a look; it was in full ebb, and I saw a floating railway sleeper actually shot a good 10' into the air by the short, vicious overfalls....

I thought " **** that for a lark ! " So Christchurch remains on my ' don't even think about it ' list...

Easy to go past to Poole / Studland or Lymington / Yarmouth depending on ones' plans.

Andy

PhillM

Visit site
IIRC last year we looked for high water around noon so the leg to Yarmouth was in the afternoon, using the stand then the ebb.

Yarmouth to Poole next day would again be afternoon, using the ebb to get to Studland then wait for the tide to turn so that we went into Pool on the flood.

On the way back the plan was to rise early at first light to catch the last of the ebb out of Poole and then use the flood to get back into the Solent (or around it if that was your chosen route home).

I think that noon HW is around springs.

lustyd

Visit site
Sorry, I forgot about Christchurch's flying railway sleepers and vicious overfalls.

You of all people should know that everything past Hurst is dangerous and potentially lethal...there be dragons past the end of the chart!

boatingworld2004

Visit site
Would love to join in if I'm not working ! Please count me in.

Don't rule out christchurch! Its a lovely place and the entrance is fine (depending on draft !) just get the tide times right and try not to be an idiot about it. Would be quite happy to supply some local knowledge for anyone who feels like exploring !

Cheers

Seajet

Visit site

Don't rule out christchurch! Its a lovely place and the entrance is fine (depending on draft !) just get the tide times right and try not to be an idiot about it. Would be quite happy to supply some local knowledge for anyone who feels like exploring !

Cheers

I'm sure you're right and I just saw it on a bad day; it is a lovely place once inside.

However if sailing 'tactically' it's easy to go straight past it aiming East or West !

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com

Cheers

When you say depending on draft, what do you mean exactly? I thought I read somewhere that anything over about 2'6" is too much.