Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

boatingworld2004

Visit site
Over the season we noticed at least 1.5m over the bar a couple of hours either side of hw. It does get slightly more tricky when you take into account the double hw at change from springs to neeps. We draw 3ft and can leave well before 1st hw, my rule for coming back is no later than 1 hr after 2nd hw. This gives a good window for a sail between the two hw. The ebb is really the issue as its strong! Depths in the channel are fine really with the harbour channel being much shallower at 1.2m ish on the dog leg in the harbour. The moorings at the bottom of the harbour are below this so there are options. My friend and i have taken both a fin virgo and a legend 33 twin in a few times but you do stir the mud a bit! Let me know if you want any more info

colhel

Visit site
Over the season we noticed at least 1.5m over the bar a couple of hours either side of hw. It does get slightly more tricky when you take into account the double hw at change from springs to neeps. We draw 3ft and can leave well before 1st hw, my rule for coming back is no later than 1 hr after 2nd hw. This gives a good window for a sail between the two hw. The ebb is really the issue as its strong! Depths in the channel are fine really with the harbour channel being much shallower at 1.2m ish on the dog leg in the harbour. The moorings at the bottom of the harbour are below this so there are options. My friend and i have taken both a fin virgo and a legend 33 twin in a few times but you do stir the mud a bit! Let me know if you want any more info

Thanks. Although a long way off yet, one option I have to mind is to stay in Christchurch on the Friday night and join the others as they cross from the Solent.

Teetime

Visit site

Are there any anlongside berths when you get to Christchurch? We have a Southerley 38 with lifting keel only need a metre. Keep passing Christchurch and Keyhaven just too nervous to give them a try.

boatingworld2004

Visit site
There are a few options for visitors from swinging mooring to alongside at one of the two boatyards, christchurch sailing club or if your feeling posh the captains club hotel has berths alongside the old pontins quay at wick. 1m is fine just go up the harbour on the rise and dont get pushed to the edge of the channel. Worth a call to the sailing club to see what they think. Can you take the ground/mud? There are a couple of spots to anchour which would be my plan.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Yes, but you have to bring Mrs Chubby.

Sounds like Mrs Chubby has a fan club, only problem is she can`t remember who was who from the Cherbourg meet! I could bring midi chubby if I can dragg her away from the horse and mini chubby if it doesn`t clash with a student union gig, which is nearly all the time!

chubby

www.flickr.com
I think there's soon going to be a vacancy for a "responsible adult" on this cruise :D

You would be safe with us, just passed the NHS e learning "safeguarding adults level 1" and "safeguarding children level 2" and Mrs chubby would represent you at the case conference!

Simondjuk

Visit site
Simon it's just occurred to me that almost all of the boats that came last year could easily use a 40 footer as a pontoon if we raft up....how big is your anchor? :eek:

It's an unbranded pattern CQR at the moment. Not sure I'd want to hang much more than my washing on it. :eek:

prv

Visit site
Expect people to leave the pub before they're fit only for bed you mean? A fine chance! :D

The pub generally throws us out long before we're ready for bed :)

Certainly the Cherbourg yacht club did, we were forced to go and drink rum and cider and gin&tonic in Nick's cockpit, until the motorboatalists next door emerged from their air-conditioned cocoon to tell us to shut up. So we had to drink in the cabin instead :D

Pete

colhel

Visit site
Would love to be there :) not sure I can get into Christchurch tho :( 2m draft

Christchurch was only an idea by me. If this trip follows last years plan it will be a direct passage with possibly a stop off at Studland on the way over.
I'm more keen than others to visit Christchurch as I'm based in Poole and it would be nice to get a bit of sailing in as it makes the beer taste better.

PhillM

Visit site
Has anyone found an almanac for next year yet? Any idea's for dates PhillM?

Sorry, yes, I'll get on it. Since Paean came out all my spare time as gone into the "project". The good news is that the repairs to underneath the mast section have gone really well, but there is so, so much more to do.

Yesterday I stood in the cockpit and tried to image being back at sea. Problem is through the piles of tools, half done jobs and lack of anything that looks like a rig (or where one would actually go) it seemed such a long way off.

Anyway, back down there this morning and I’m sure it will all look better by Monday :)

p.s If anyone feel like beating me to it, proposing dates, etc, I wouldnt be offended

Topcat47

Visit site
I"ll say yes provisionally, too. It will depend on dates, SWMBO's holiday plans, etc. Also have a prior commitment in April.