RTI this Saturday

st599

Visit site
The biggest problem in the cruiser fleet in 2011 was the level of gung ho'ness. Rounding the Needles, we had 3 boats within 50 feet, but could only see the masthead antenna as the waves were so high. We had 3 reefs in and were over 11 knots round the back of the Island, others decided it was time for the kite, the lucky ones shredded immediately, the others were heading for Le Havre trying to get it down. The number with no reefs who were dangerously out of control was insane. I'm sure the charter agents kept most of the deposits.

flaming

Visit site
Was it really 30-40 in 2011? It was windy but I don't recall it being completely crazy. Just looked at the photos and we had full main and chicken chute on the Elan.

Never Grumble

Visit site
The biggest problem in the cruiser fleet in 2011 was the level of gung ho'ness. Rounding the Needles, we had 3 boats within 50 feet, but could only see the masthead antenna as the waves were so high. We had 3 reefs in and were over 11 knots round the back of the Island, others decided it was time for the kite, the lucky ones shredded immediately, the others were heading for Le Havre trying to get it down. The number with no reefs who were dangerously out of control was insane. I'm sure the charter agents kept most of the deposits.
We were a very sensible cruiser boat last year with two reefs in the main/one in the Genoa for most of the race, with big coloured sails stored safely down below. Even at the back of the fleet we watched a number of boats out of control. Given the forecast and last year's experience we've now decided to stay at home. Good luck to those taking part.

st599

Visit site
Was it really 30-40 in 2011? It was windy but I don't recall it being completely crazy. Just looked at the photos and we had full main and chicken chute on the Elan.
It was, we saw prolonged 37 on a few occassions. (It built, so the fast boats were past St Cats as it increased)

flaming

Visit site
It was, we saw prolonged 37 on a few occassions. (It built, so the fast boats were past St Cats as it increased)
I'm just flicking through my pics from 2011. Only one has the wind instrument in shot, where it says 19.

st599

Visit site
I'm just flicking through my pics from 2011. Only one has the wind instrument in shot, where it says 19.
Thinking on it, I'm not sure about the year, I'll check my photos. It was definitely very windy as we went round 2 hours quicker than every other time.

olly_love

Visit site
It was windy but not mental, it think 30 down the back of the island,

we snapped the pole and then the rudder on the Corby and had to drogue steer home.

jaminb

Visit site
I was just slipping lines when the Coastguard broadcast a Force 8 Gale forecast for later at the Needles. Needless to say I have tied back up and wont be spectating from an anchorage tomorrow!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I was just slipping lines when the Coastguard broadcast a Force 8 Gale forecast for later at the Needles. Needless to say I have tied back up and wont be spectating from an anchorage tomorrow!
33/39 knots there right now. I can tell that without checking, by the tone of the howl from the windows and gutters.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Two boats I know are retired. One a pro racer "judged will be too risky at St Cats".

The You Tube livestream not running for some reason?