question about a tender

Actionmat

Visit site
I'm about to collect a little dinghy with an outboard to use as a tender. It was a last minute purchase, before going on a 2 week cruise up the Thames.

I know I need to register it, but can this be done at a lock or do I have to wait for the EA and their paperwork? I had a google but could only find the forms relating to unpowered craft.

byron

RIP
Visit site
It only needs registering if it's in the water. If kept on Davits then save your self a few pennies. If asked you state you don't use it, it's only there for an emergency in which case you will do the necessary. That was my story for 50 years. ;)

BG1

Visit site
It only needs registering if it's in the water. If kept on Davits then save your self a few pennies. If asked you state you don't use it, it's only there for an emergency in which case you will do the necessary. That was my story for 50 years. ;)

You might be out of date there Byron. My tender lives in davits and 2yrs ago I had an unlicenced notice slapped on it even though it was licenced, they just didn't see the plate.

byron

RIP
Visit site
You might be out of date there Byron. My tender lives in davits and 2yrs ago I had an unlicenced notice slapped on it even though it was licenced, they just didn't see the plate.

That's worrying. It means the two old dingies in my front garden should be licensed they too aren't in the water ;)

Wavey

Visit site
Must be a change in the interpreting of licencing again as, until I moved off the Thames in 2014, I carried a tender on davits for nearly 30 years and never licenced it once, and was never questioned about it either.

Chris_d

Visit site
Technically its a powered open launch so costs the same, but if you already have an annual license there is a discount for a tender but I have never seen any reference to it in any paperwork. However I was told only last weekend that if you ring the registration helpline they will sort it for you.
However given the amount of time its likely to spend in the water......

Actionmat

Visit site
I just called the licence line. They want £91 for a 6ft dinghy with a little outboard to be suspended from my davits and used as a tender. There is a 50% discount if renewed at the same time as the boat licence. Thanks EA! We're more than half way through the year and they want twice the amount that they'll require in January! B@s£ards, no wonder so many don't bother. A further 25% discount if using an electric outboard, but that still makes it more expensive than a rowing club boat.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
I just called the licence line. They want £91 for a 6ft dinghy with a little outboard to be suspended from my davits and used as a tender. There is a 50% discount if renewed at the same time as the boat licence. Thanks EA! We're more than half way through the year and they want twice the amount that they'll require in January! B@s£ards, no wonder so many don't bother. A further 25% discount if using an electric outboard, but that still makes it more expensive than a rowing club boat.

Flippin 'eck!
No wonder I couldn't see many licenses on the tenders nestled in between the boats rafted on the booms at Henley on Saturday night :)

Flynnbarr

Visit site
It has always been like that down your way,it's just got worse in the past few years for various reasons.

If you can't beat 'em,join 'em,be a rebel and don't license your dinghy,that'll show 'em,just don't tell 'em your name pike:D

mikemanor

www.waltontraining.co.uk
Whether you licence it or not make sure it is on your insurance policy for 3rd Party Liability. Powered craft must have 3rd party cover and a tender with an outboard is a powered craft. Mine was at no extra cost but insurer wanted to know make, model and serial number of dinghy plus make, model and serial number of outboard. They are an "endorsement" on the policy. Thinking about it you can't licence it without that :)

DogsBody

Visit site
The cost for licensing a tender takes the P... doesn't it! Which is why most don't bother. However, if you wish to use it (legally), you can obtain a daily license for the tender at any lock for £11 - I did last month for a trip down to Windsor while the main boat was out of action.