Princess 43 Build

jfm

Visit site
Ah right, all ok, thanks for the historical corrections. Actually I think then that the first mention of it in this asylum was in Hurric's new build thread or in his delivery-to-med thread, and it got a mention in Match 1 thread, but would take some time to find it in any of those. Full credit to you Hurricane for such a great idea. You must fit one to MYJR- it is crazy for the inventor not to have one! Looking forward to CunPlan therefore :encouragement:

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Oi! I'll be sending you an AnCamTM royalty invoice if you're not careful :cool:

With respect, and I hear what you say, and I'm not disagreeing with you, and very interesting, but I think yours is set up a bit skewwhiff. The white roller should be at bottom of your frame imho. As currently configured, the bottom 1/3rd of your picture conveys no information. You want to see more of what is in front of you imho

Understood to all of that :D but (less round-handbaggily :D:D) I don't agree with you. Sure, for launching the anchor, you are dead right, it's only helpful to see what is in front of the bow roller. But for recovery it's useful to see where the chain is going, so if necessary I can move the boat around accordingly. The way I currently have it set up I can for example see if I've drifted over the anchor when recovering, which I couldn't usefully see if I panned the camera out a bit. It's also helpful to see what's going on with the banana swivel as the anchor is recovered, although I accept that may change as I get a bit more used to it (bear in mind I've only recovered the anchor twice since since the ancam was installed).

Maybe the gen III ancam/cunplan should be ptz?

And where's henryf when we need him? The best upgrade I could make to the utility of the ancam would be to change the camera for a 2.9mm lens model.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Ok here is my small contribution to this thread,
I'm another big fan and user of the Ancam,
this has become a almost indispensable istrument on the boat, with our very frequent anchoring in the area where the boat is,
I did a rough calculation, and last season we did approx 100 times anchor launches during the season !!!

our AnCam is mounted on this long extended pulpit / ancher light pole, (oldfashion thing)
but happens to be very handy, as I can see quite a long length of the chain,

this is handy for two reasons,
when doing a mooring stern to, without bow lines, but with the anchor (most moorings are like this in my frequently visited harbours)
I can see in what angle the chain goes down, so the force or pulling on the chain during mooring / launching
I Operate the chain from the helm, and swmbo takes care of the ropes on the stern ;
have to switch camera a few times during that operation !

second reason, is when recovering the anchor in a anchorage, in windy conditions, the boat has a tendency to slalom left and right,
but when looking at the chain from that position, I can anticipate and counter act on that movement, so that we don't need to stop the lifting, in case the chain is not in a straight line with the bowroller
(I'm not sure if I explained this very clear)

IMG_0630.jpg

I'm sorry for the bad quality display picture,
have to make some better coming season, and in different positions to explain what I'm telling here above
IMG_0043.jpg

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Maybe the gen III ancam/cunplan should be ptz?

No - but I did think about it and it may still be an option in CunPlan 2
IP camera, of course gives that option.
Hell with it, I'll start another thread in the next day or so - I was going to wait until something was working so that I didn't look too much of a fool when it didn't work.

BTW - I'm warming to the name "DollyCam" - has a much better ring about it.

jfm

Visit site
But for recovery it's useful to see where the chain is going, so if necessary I can move the boat around accordingly. The way I currently have it set up I can for example see if I've drifted over the anchor when recovering, which I couldn't usefully see if I panned the camera out a bit.
OK yes I see your point there. I was thinking (and might be worng) that if you drive over the chain you wont see the chain anyway cos will be obscured by the footprint of the deck, but maybe not

A view of the chain if driving over it is precisely why I have my anchor roller in top centre of my screen, not top left., so I totally get your point that is is useful info.

With your top view set up you aren't helped by the landscape format of the MFD, whereas with my side view set up the landscape MFD format helps

Hurricane

Visit site
Hi/low platform. Non standard on the 43. Optional extra at 15k. Add a jet rib and the back end of the boat gets even more expensive!

I don't know if you are thinking of buying a JetRib.
If you are, think carefully.
They are great fun but....... loads of problems and you soon get very fed up with them.
As you have pointed out, they are also very heavy.
I think you will find that most people on here will advise you to get a good standard RIB (with an outboard motor rather than a jet) and there are cases where you could buy two or even three good RIBs for the price of a JetRIB.
Think about what you want out of your tender and you will find that nothing does the whole job.
We wanted to water ski and tow toys from our RIB so a big engine was important.
From a weight point of view, our standard RIB is between half and a third of the weight of a JetRIB and tows skiers and you could almost buy three RIBs like ours for the price of a JetRIB.
After 8 years, SWMBO has suggested that we should change our standard RIB but having looked around, I can't see what would be any better.
Don't get me wrong, JetRIBs are great fun - but once you have had one the novelty wears off - especially after a few big repair bills.

jfm

Visit site
Hi J,
just a practical question,
I see you lower your anchor with the winch,
do you alway's do this like that ?

in 99% of the situations we "drop" the anchor by releasing the brake and gypsy wheel from the shaft
Hi BartW
No, I often drop it by releasing the clutch - I use the motor when single handed or when the foredeck person isn't competent/confident to use the clutch. But of course when shooting a video like that I have to lower it using the motor!

47GC

Visit site
I don't know if you are thinking of buying a JetRib.
If you are, think carefully.
They are great fun but....... loads of problems and you soon get very fed up with them.
As you have pointed out, they are also very heavy.
I think you will find that most people on here will advise you to get a good standard RIB (with an outboard motor rather than a jet) and there are cases where you could buy two or even three good RIBs for the price of a JetRIB.
Think about what you want out of your tender and you will find that nothing does the whole job.
We wanted to water ski and tow toys from our RIB so a big engine was important.
From a weight point of view, our standard RIB is between half and a third of the weight of a JetRIB and tows skiers and you could almost buy three RIBs like ours for the price of a JetRIB.
After 8 years, SWMBO has suggested that we should change our standard RIB but having looked around, I can't see what would be any better.
Don't get me wrong, JetRIBs are great fun - but once you have had one the novelty wears off - especially after a few big repair bills.
Sorry for the late reply, been busy at work. Good advice Hurricane. Thanks. We had a Jetski on the old boat and small rib for excursions onto the islands etc. I think after your post we're going to stick to the same combination. I'll get an electric air compressor wired in to inflate the thing though! ?

47GC

Visit site
Received pricing back from the factory in running in the appropriate cables for the aft & anchor cameras. All very reasonable imho. So that's been added to the build. Waiting on confirmation of some pricing for gunnel led lighting, so far the report from the factory is that there is no space to fit the lights. Weird, not sure why there would not be space. Find out more in the next few days.

47GC

Visit site
OK yes I see your point there. I was thinking (and might be worng) that if you drive over the chain you wont see the chain anyway cos will be obscured by the footprint of the deck, but maybe not

A view of the chain if driving over it is precisely why I have my anchor roller in top centre of my screen, not top left., so I totally get your point that is is useful info.

With your top view set up you aren't helped by the landscape format of the MFD, whereas with my side view set up the landscape MFD format helps
I like the side on view. Once the boat arrives I'll get a bullet camera for aft deck and a nice dome type for the bow. Exact placement will be easy to figure out as I'll wire it up temp to my Microsoft Surface device. That will be s nice job for spring 2016.

47GC

Visit site
I saw a 43 fitted with dishwasher, washing machine and freezer, all fitted in well.
What about Radar, ais and maybe wi fi booster?
We were going to go for the dishwasher option but the one offered by princess is that drawer type fisher & paykel, we had one of those in the old kitchen at home and it was forever getting repaired. So choose not to bother.

Hurricane

Visit site
I like the side on view. Once the boat arrives I'll get a bullet camera for aft deck and a nice dome type for the bow. Exact placement will be easy to figure out as I'll wire it up temp to my Microsoft Surface device. That will be s nice job for spring 2016.

As far as cameras are concerned, it is the lenses that will solve the problem.
Docking Cameras.
If you place them in the top (ceiling) of the cockpit like mine, using cheap (replaceable) cameras, it is difficult to get the full field of view to cover the whole bathing platform. I seem to remember that the best place on the P42 was way up high - on the mast above the radar arch - maybe Jimmy can remember.
On our P67 I settled for two (in the ceiling of the cockpit) to cover each side of the bathing platform.
Still working on AnCam - as you know.

A big thing for me (and something I would definitely do if I spec'd anew boat) is to have a PC video (and audio) fed throughout the boat.
I know that it sounds a bit OTT but it has really given me all the options for lots of little extras over the years.
And it goes on giving me those extra options.
One very useful extra that the PC provides is a completely parallel navigation system which then becomes very useful for planning trips etc.
And as you see from my Sardinia thread, very easily provides a graphical record (log) of everywhere we go.
All this without compromising the dedicated plotters etc.

If you are going to spend any length of time (weeks at a time) on the boat, a washing machine is really useful.
Ours is in continual use at the moment- went to the beach yesterday - towels came back all sandy and dirty - all clean and ready to use again today.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
A dish washer however has never made sense to me given the valuable real estate they take up in the galley and relatively small capacity they offer. I would also imagine they use a lot more water than me and my sponge on a stick :)

Henry :)